Is Light's Speed Limit Universal for All Massless Particles?

In summary, the maximum speed at which entities can move is c, also known as the speed of light. This limit is thought to be a result of the connection between space and time, and c is considered a natural unit of speed. The electric properties of the void play a role in determining c, and any changes in these properties can result in a different value for c. Some speculate that other entities, such as massless particles, can travel at this same upper limit because they also adhere to the electric properties of the void. However, the exact cause or mechanism for this limit is still not fully understood.
LongOne
Hi,
(I've searched and couldn't find anything about this in the forums, but please excuse me if this is a duplicate of another post).

I clearly understand that "c" is the maximum speed at which "things" can move (with certain restrictions, caveats, etc). But it seems to be also true that other entities, such as massless particles, can travel at the speed of light.

Which leads me to the question: Is it actually the speed of light that's inviolate or is light just one of the many entities that must adhere to this upper boundary?

Although I understand "c", it's a complete mystery to me as to why this limit is "the" limit. Can someone help nudge my understanding along? I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a limit, such as "c", nor arguing against "c" being the limit, but rather, what physical mechanism causes this to be a limit.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
LongOne said:
I clearly understand that "c" is the maximum speed at which "things" can move (with certain restrictions, caveats, etc). But it seems to be also true that other entities, such as massless particles, can travel at the speed of light.

Which leads me to the question: Is it actually the speed of light that's inviolate or is light just one of the many entities that must adhere to this upper boundary?
The second you have written. Every massless particle which have non zero energy must move at c.
Although I understand "c", it's a complete mystery to me as to why this limit is "the" limit. Can someone help nudge my understanding along? I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be a limit, such as "c", nor arguing against "c" being the limit, but rather, what physical mechanism causes this to be a limit.
The speed of light c is related to the electric properties of the void. The issue is still not completelly understood; someone speculates that those properties could in theory be changed someway, giving as result a different value for c in that modified medium.

Last edited:
The speed of light c is related to the electric properties of the void.
It's the other way round: there is a speed limit, and every single force or interaction must obey it. That's why the electric properties of the void happen to assure that electromagnetic waves travel at c.
The speed limit itself is thought to be the result of how space and time are connected, the spacetime concept. Mathematically, arguably the simplest spacetime must have a conversion factor between both units (length and time), c, which acts as a natural unit of speed and as its limit, too.

LongOne said:
... , but rather, what physical mechanism causes this to be a limit.
Many have various ideas about how to explain or understand this limit - but describing a cause in the form of a real physical mechanism, I don’t think anyone has done that.

Ich said:
It's the other way round: there is a speed limit, and every single force or interaction must obey it. That's why the electric properties of the void happen to assure that electromagnetic waves travel at c.
The speed limit itself is thought to be the result of how space and time are connected, the spacetime concept. Mathematically, arguably the simplest spacetime must have a conversion factor between both units (length and time), c, which acts as a natural unit of speed and as its limit, too.
So, what do you think of the fact that void's electric properties could depend, let's say, on the virtual particles density and that in the Casimir effect it's claimed that density is modified?

So, what do you think of the fact that void's electric properties could depend, let's say, on the virtual particles density and that in the Casimir effect it's claimed that density is modified?
"c" is not "the speed of light". When the electric properties of a medium (be it "the void" or anything else) change, the speed of light will be different, but not the limiting velocity "c".
If you have a different energy density like in the Casimir effect, "c" will be different if suitably compared wth the outside world. It's not very helpful to hold a fine-tuned simultaneous change in the electric, weak, strong, and gravitational properties of the void responsible for that. That's the opposite of relativity.

Ich said:
"c" is not "the speed of light". When the electric properties of a medium (be it "the void" or anything else) change, the speed of light will be different, but not the limiting velocity "c".
The limiting value c is light's speed in the void; in a different "void" light's speed would be different = c', as you say too. The question is another: if this different kind of "void" could really exist, Maxwell's equations and Lorenz's transforms, there, should be written with c or c'?

Last edited:
It makes more sense when you look at c as the conversion factor between space and time units. From that perspective, it is what it is because of our choice of units.

There has to be _some_ conversion factor between the two if you believe Einstein and Minknowski. The fact that c is the maximum spatial velocity flows logically from that.

Hello peter0302

Quote:-

---It makes more sense when you look at c as the conversion factor between space and time units. From that perspective, it is what it is because of our choice of units.---

Surely light has the same speed whatever units you use to express this speed. The speed of light is by definition the speed of light and c is this speed in vacuo, usually expressed in meters per second.

Matheinste.

lightarrow said:
The speed of light c is related to the electric properties of the void.

Since massless particles with energy move at this same upper limit, how do the electrical properties of the void figure into this?

peter0302 said:
It makes more sense when you look at c as the conversion factor between space and time units. From that perspective, it is what it is because of our choice of units.
QUOTE]

I discovered this several years ago and it helps make sense of numerous things.

Thanks, all, for thoughtful replies. I now understand that there does not appear to be any general consesus as to what causes the physical manifestation. Does anyone know of a group or individual that I might find on the Internet that is working on this?

Thanks.

LongOne said:
Since massless particles with energy move at this same upper limit, how do the electrical properties of the void figure into this?

The speed 'c' follows from Maxwell's equations. If you write Maxwell's equations in the case of no sources, you get a wave equation with
[itex]v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_0\mu_0}}=c[/itex]

LongOne said:
It's a good question, infact I think this is the connection between em interaction and GR (it's just a speculation, of course).

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant and is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is denoted by the letter "c" in equations and is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

Why is the speed of light important?

The speed of light is important because it plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is used in various theories and equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, and is a fundamental constant in many scientific disciplines. It also has practical applications, such as in telecommunication and space travel.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This is known as the theory of special relativity.

How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He used observations of the moons of Jupiter to calculate the time it takes for light to travel from Earth to Jupiter and back. His calculation resulted in a speed close to the modern accepted value.

Has the speed of light always been constant?

According to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light has always been constant. This is known as the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which is a fundamental principle in the theory of special relativity. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose that the speed of light may have been different in the early universe.