Magnetic Moments: Aligning 90% with B at 0.2T

In summary, the question asks at what temperature 90% of spin 1/2 magnet moments with a magnetic moment of 1*10^-23 Am² will be aligned parallel to a magnetic field of 0.2T. To solve this, we use the equation U=-μB(N↑ - N↓) where U is the magnetic potential energy, μ is the magnetic moment, B is the magnetic field, N↑ is the number of magnets oriented up and N↓ is the number of magnets oriented down. The B-field is assumed to be oriented in the "up" direction. Using the partition function and average energy equations, we can solve for the temperature at which 90% of the magnets will be aligned parallel
t_n_p

Homework Statement

A system of spin 1/2 magnet moments with μ = 1*10^-23 Am² are in a magnetic field of 0.2T. At what temperature will 90% of the magnets be aligned parallel to B?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have found the relevant equation:

U=-μB(N↑ - N↓)

where U is the magnetic potential energy, μ is the magnetic moment, B is the magnetic field, N↑ is the number of magnets oritentated up and N↓ is the number of magnets orientated down. My questions now are, how do I know which direction is parallel to B and if this equation is relevant, how do I then convert U to temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the way the question is phrased, I would believe the B-field is oriented in the "up" direction; this is because in general the energy of a magnetic dipole in a magnetic field is:

[tex]-\mu \cdot B[/tex]

so the dipole will want to align with the field to get to the lowest energy. In this case, lower energy is achieved if B is pointing "up" rather than "down".

This much I know, the rest I'm not 100% sure, but I think the following would work:

Suppose we have N such spins, then we have [tex] N = N\uparrow - N\downarrow [/tex]
Let [tex] 2 S = N\uparrow - N\downarrow [/tex] be the spin difference. With this we can solve for
[tex] N\uparrow = S + \frac{N}{2} [/tex]

and get

[tex] \frac{N\uparrow}{N} = \frac{S}{N} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Taking the average:

[tex] \frac{\left\langle N\uparrow \right\rangle}{N} = \frac{\left\langle S \right\rangle}{N} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

We would like this ratio to be 90%.

For one single magnet, the partition function is given by

[tex] Z_{1} = 2 cosh (\beta\mu B) [/tex].

where [tex] \beta = \frac{1}{k_b T} [/tex]

For N such magnets, our partition function will be

[tex] Z = \left(Z_{1}\right)^{N} [/tex]

The average energy is given by:

[tex] \left\langle E \right\rangle = -\frac{1}{Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\beta} [/tex]

But we also know that [tex] \left\langle E \right\rangle = - \mu B \left\langle S \right\rangle [/tex]

so now we can solve for the temperature "beta" at which our desired ratio is reached.

1. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field created by a magnetic object, such as an atom or a subatomic particle.

2. How does the alignment of magnetic moments at 0.2T affect their behavior?

At 0.2T, the magnetic moments will align 90% with the external magnetic field. This alignment will cause the magnetic objects to behave in a certain way, such as moving or exerting forces on other objects.

3. What is the significance of 90% alignment with B at 0.2T?

This level of alignment indicates a strong interaction between the magnetic moments and the external magnetic field. It also suggests that the magnetic objects have a high susceptibility to being influenced by the external field.

4. How is the alignment of magnetic moments measured?

The alignment of magnetic moments can be measured using various techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance or magnetic force microscopy. These techniques involve applying a magnetic field and observing the response of the magnetic objects.

5. Can the alignment of magnetic moments be controlled?

Yes, the alignment of magnetic moments can be controlled by changing the strength and direction of the external magnetic field. This is the basis for many applications of magnetic materials, such as in data storage and medical imaging.