Find Wave Function given <x>, sigmax, <p>

In summary, the student is trying to find a wave function that satisfies the given known values, but is having trouble with the standard deviation. They are trying to find a way to get around this issue. They are also trying to remember what must be done to get the expected value of x to be -1. They are successful in solving the problem by changing the value of sigma in the wave function.
friedymeister

Homework Statement

Come up with a wave function Psi[x] that satisfies the given known values:
<x>=-1
sigma x = 1
<p> = h bar

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have this equation, which satisfies <x>, <p>, but not sigma x.
1/[Pi]^(1/4) E^(i (x + 2)) E^(-(1/2) (x + 1)^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
What does sigma x refer to?

Sigma x is the standard deviation of x.

Remember that the standard deviation of a gaussian is controlled by dividing the x^2 term by sigma^2.

Try looking at the below wikipedia article on Gaussian or Normal distributions for a good way to create a wavepacket with a given uncertainty ([tex]\sigma_x[/tex]) and position [tex]\langle x\rangle[/tex].

This wikipedia link should give an adequate definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

For some reason, I just can't find the function.

I don't know how I could make a wave function that could possibly have a standard distribution of 1 and an expected value of -1, graphically.

A Gaussian wavefunction has the form
[tex] A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x - x_0\right)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right)[/tex]
where A is the normalization, [tex]x_0[/tex] is the center of the Gaussian, and [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the standard deviation.

Try calculating
[tex]\sigma = \sqrt{\langle x^2\rangle - \langle x\rangle^2}[/tex] to convince yourself of this property of Gaussians and then see if you can put the momentum part into the total wavefunction.

I have tried this, the only problem is that the function must also have the momentum, -h bar, which requires another exponential term, exp(-i x).

Also, sigma^2 would be 1, and that would have the form A * exp^(-i x)*exp^((-(x+1)^2)/2) where A = 1/ pi^(1/4)

Because of the first exponential function, exp^(-i x), the standard deviation becomes 1/rad(2).

How can I get around this?

I'm unsure how you're getting the standard deviation to be [tex]1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] because of the complex exponential part. I'm assuming rad(2) is the square root.

Don't forget that to calculate the expectation value you use the complex conjugate on the left, e.g.
[tex]\langle x \rangle = \int \psi^{*}\left(x\right)x\psi\left(x\right)\,dx[/tex].
So the complex exponential times its complex conjugate should just give 1 inside the integral and not affect the expectation value of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]x^2[/tex].

One more thing to consider, when you multiply two Gaussians together you get another Gaussian:

[tex]A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x-x_0\right)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right) * A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x-x_0\right^2}{2\sigma^2}\right) = A^2\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x - x_0\right)^2}{\sigma^2}\right)[/tex]
This about this relates the standard deviation of [tex]\psi\left(x\right)[/tex] to [tex]\psi^{*}\left(x\right)\psi\left(x\right)[/tex].

Yeah, that's how I've been getting <x>.

It must the be exp^(i x) that's causing the problems. The x in the exponent must be messing something up.

How can I get around this?

I'm pretty sure the complex exponential should cancel in the calculation of the x and x^2 expectation values.

Remember what I mentioned about the product of Gaussians. This means that while the standard deviation of [tex]\psi\left(x\right)[/tex] might be [tex]\sigma[/tex] the standard deviation of [tex]|\psi\left(x\right)|^2[/tex] will be [tex]\sigma/\sqrt{2}[/tex]...

Well, sigma x comes out to 1/rad(2) for the sqrt((integral from -inf to +inf of Psi* x^2 Psi) - (integral from -inf to +inf of Psi* x Psi)^2).

How would I change the wave function to make sigma x = 1 then?

Try changing the value of [tex]sigma[/tex] in the Gaussian part of the wavefunction and see how that changes what you calculate [tex]\sigma_x[/tex]. See if can figure it out own your own exactly what you need to change then.
Also, remember the correct normalization of a Gaussian involves [tex]\sigma[/tex] as well. It should be in the wikipedia article.

Oh that's awesome. Thanks, I changed 1/2 to 1/4 and then renormalized the wave function, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks a lot.

Glad I could help :)

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular location and time, as well as the particle's momentum and energy.

How do you find the wave function given , sigmax, and

?

To find the wave function given , sigmax, and

, you can use the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation relates the wave function to the energy of the system. By solving the Schrödinger equation for a particular system, you can determine the wave function for that system.

What is and sigmax in the context of finding a wave function?

In the context of finding a wave function, represents the position of a particle, while sigmax represents the uncertainty or spread in the particle's position. This is known as the position operator and its associated uncertainty, and it is an important quantity in quantum mechanics.

What is

in relation to finding a wave function?

represents the momentum of a particle, which is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics. The momentum operator, represented by

, is used to calculate the uncertainty or spread in a particle's momentum, which is denoted by sigmap.

How is the wave function related to the probability of finding a particle?

The wave function is directly related to the probability of finding a particle at a particular location. According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the square of the wave function, known as the probability density function, gives the probability of finding a particle at a specific position. This means that the higher the amplitude of the wave function at a particular location, the higher the probability of finding the particle there.