Can the Limits of Integration be Changed in the Fresnel Integral?

• Thread starter Nanie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of cos(x)cos(x^2) and whether it is convergent or divergent. The solution involves using the Fresnel Integrals, making substitutions, and using a trig identity. The final result is a complicated expression involving the Fresnel sine and cosine integrals. There is also a question about the limits of integration for the Fresnel integrals, which can be any positive value as long as it is consistent.
Nanie
I need help for this integral

cosx cosx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Nanie said:
I need help for this integral cosx cosx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Do you mean
[tex]\int cos(x) cos^2(x) dx[/tex]
or
[tex] \int cos(x) cos(x^2) dx[/tex]
?

Whatever you mean, what have you tried?

cos(x)cos(x^2)

I don't think the anti-derivative can be expressed in elementary functions.

Nanie said:
cos(x)cos(x^2)

You will need to integrate this by-parts and express your answer in terms of Fresnel Integrals which are defined here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothoid#Cornu_spiral"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks... sorry for my english...I hope that can understand me...

This integral [tex]
\int_{1}[/tex] [tex]^{\infty}[/tex] cos(x)cos(x2) dx

I have to say that is convergent or divergent. The proffessor gave us a hint (Fresnel Integral)...but I don't know how to use it, He don't discuss it in class :grumpy:. I understand everything but the cos(x2) jeje I don't know how to integrate.:yuck:

Thanks gabbagabbahey for the link...

Nanie said:
thanks... sorry for my english...I hope that can understand me...

This integral [tex]
\int_{1}[/tex] [tex]^{\infty}[/tex] cos(x)cos(x2) dx

I have to say that is convergent or divergent. The proffessor gave us a hint (Fresnel Integral)...but I don't know how to use it, He don't discuss it in class :grumpy:. I understand everything but the cos(x2) jeje I don't know how to integrate.:yuck:

Thanks gabbagabbahey for the link...

Okay, this is going to be ugly, but here it goes:

[tex]cos(x)cos(x^2)=\frac{cos(x^2-x)+cos(x^2+x)}{2}= \frac{cos \left( x^2-x+\frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{4} \right)+cos \left( x^2+x+\frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{4} \right) }{2} = \frac{cos \left( \left( x-\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - \frac{1}{4} \right)+cos \left( \left( x+\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - \frac{1}{4} \right) }{2} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{ cos \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +sin \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +cos \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +sin \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) }{2} [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \int_1^{\infty} cos(x)cos(x^2)dx [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{2} \int_1^{\infty} cos \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +sin \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +cos \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) +sin \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) dx [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{2} \left[ cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_1^{\infty} cos \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right)dx + sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_1^{\infty} sin \left( \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right)dx + cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_1^{\infty} cos \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) dx [/tex]

[tex] \left{+ sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_1^{\infty} sin \left( \left( x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 \right) dx \right] [/tex]

Last edited:

Make the following substitutions:

[tex]u \equiv x-\frac{1}{2} , \quad v \equiv x+ \frac{1}{2} \quad \Rightarrow du=dv=dx , \quad u: \frac{3}{2} \rightarrow \infty , \quad v: \frac{1}{2} \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \int_1^{\infty} cos(x)cos(x^2)dx [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2} cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_{\frac{3}{2}}^{\infty} cos(u^2)du + \frac{1}{2} sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_{\frac{3}{2}}^{\infty} sin(u^2)du + \frac{1}{2} cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{\infty} cos(v^2)dv + \frac{1}{2} sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{\infty} sin(v^2)dv [/tex]

Last edited:
Now using the definition of the Fresnel sine and cosine integrals, [tex] S(t),\quad C(t)[/tex] :

[tex] S(t) \equiv \int_0^t sin(q^2)dq , \quad C(t) \equiv \int_0^t cos(q^2)dq [/tex]

we get:

[tex]\int_1^{\infty} cos(x)cos(x^2)dx = \frac{1}{2} cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( C(\infty)-C \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) \right) + \frac{1}{2} sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( S(\infty)-S \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) \right) + \frac{1}{2} cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( C(\infty)-C \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \right)[/tex]
[tex] + \frac{1}{2} sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( S(\infty)-S \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \right) [/tex]

Last edited:
...And using the fact that
[tex] S(\infty) = C(\infty) =\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{8} [/tex]
this becomes:

[tex] \int_1^{\infty} cos(x)cos(x^2)dx = -\frac{1}{2} \left[ cos \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( C \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) + C \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) -\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4} \right) + sin \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( S \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) +S \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) -\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4} \right) \right]
[/tex]

Last edited:
iah...very ugly...wow!

thanks thanks... jeje now I will try to understand it!

im nanies roommate and we take the class together and the problem is that i don't understand what u did in the first part of this problem and don't know where the cosX^2 - X come from. also i don't understand why u divided everything by 2...please help me

medinap said:
im nanies roommate and we take the class together and the problem is that i don't understand what u did in the first part of this problem and don't know where the cosX^2 - X come from. also i don't understand why u divided everything by 2...please help me

I used the following Trig Identity:

[tex]cos(A)cos(B)=\frac{cos(A-B)+cos(A+B)}{2}[/tex]

ok thank you soo much! the thing is that i have being trying it since tuesday! but thanks

THANK YOU!o:):cool:

a doubt come into my mind when i was doing the calculus exercise. ...i need to know if in the fresnel integral i can used any limit of integration or only from 0 to infinite...:confused:

Nanie said:
a doubt come into my mind when i was doing the calculus exercise. ...i need to know if in the fresnel integral i can used any limit of integration or only from 0 to infinite...:confused:

If the limits are zero to infinty, then you have S(infinty), but if the limits are 0 to a, you have S(a) as long is a is positive, the fresnel integrals converge.

1. What is the cosx cosx integral?

The cosx cosx integral, also known as the double cosine integral, is an indefinite integral that involves the product of two cosine functions. It is represented by the equation ∫cosx cosx dx.

2. How do I solve the cosx cosx integral?

To solve the cosx cosx integral, you can use the trigonometric identity cosx cosx = 1/2(cos2x + 1). This will transform the integral into the form ∫1/2(cos2x + 1) dx, which can then be solved using integration by substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve the cosx cosx integral?

No, a calculator cannot solve the cosx cosx integral as it involves integration, which is a mathematical process that cannot be performed by a calculator. You will need to use integration techniques to solve this integral.

4. What is the domain of the cosx cosx integral?

The domain of the cosx cosx integral is all real numbers. This means that the integral can be evaluated for any value of x within the real number system.

5. Why is the cosx cosx integral important in science?

The cosx cosx integral is important in science as it is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving waves and oscillations. It is also used in signal processing and electrical engineering to analyze and manipulate signals. Understanding how to solve this integral is crucial in these fields of study.