Finding limits when there is an absolute value in the numerator

In summary, the problem is finding the limit of |x + 1| / x2-1 as x approaches -1 from both the left and right sides. From the right side, the limit is found to be -1/2. To find the limit from the left, the negative sign can be ignored and the expression can be factored before putting the negative sign back in, resulting in the limit being 1/2.
katielynn09
Ok the problem is:
lim x->-1 |x+1| / x2-1
(sorry i don't really know how to type the equation out)

I think that you have to find the limit as x->-1 from both the left and right sides

from right:
so I got lim x->-1 = (x+1)/x2-1 = (x+1)/(x+1)(x-1) = 1/(x-1) =1/-1-1 =-1/2

How would I go about finding the limit from the left?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

katielynn09 said:
Ok the problem is:
lim x->-1 |x+1| / x2-1
(sorry i don't really know how to type the equation out)

I think that you have to find the limit as x->-1 from both the left and right sides

from right:
so I got lim x->-1 = (x+1)/x2-1 = (x+1)/(x+1)(x-1) = 1/(x-1) =1/-1-1 =-1/2

How would I go about finding the limit from the left?

Hi katielynn09! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Just start: "from the left, |x + 1| / x2-1 = -(x + 1) / x2-1 … " :wink:

Hi katielynn09! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Thanks!

Just start: "from the left, |x + 1| / x2-1 = -(x + 1) / x2-1 … "
Ok I understand that now. I'm flipped around though. I can't use factoring like I did before because it won't cancel out or substitution because the denominator would still equal 0. What technique would I use to find the limit now?

can i sort of ignore the negative sign like -1(x+1)/(x+1)(x-1) = -1/-1-1 = 1/2 ?

katielynn09 said:
Ok I understand that now. I'm flipped around though. I can't use factoring like I did before …

Hi katielynn09! :smile:

ooh, you are flipped aren't you?

yes you can use factoring … the top is just another factor (which happens to be -1) times before …

ignore the -1, then factor, then put the -1 back again! :smile:

thank you :)

1. What is an absolute value in the numerator?

An absolute value in the numerator refers to the mathematical notation |x|, which represents the distance between the number x and 0 on a number line.

2. Why is it important to find limits when there is an absolute value in the numerator?

Finding limits when there is an absolute value in the numerator is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. This information is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

3. How do you find the limit when there is an absolute value in the numerator?

To find the limit when there is an absolute value in the numerator, we can use the properties of limits, such as the sum and product rules, to simplify the expression. Then, we can evaluate the limit as we normally would using substitution or other methods.

4. Are there any special cases when finding limits with an absolute value in the numerator?

Yes, there are special cases when finding limits with an absolute value in the numerator. One case is when the absolute value is inside a fraction, in which case we may need to use the squeeze theorem to evaluate the limit. Another case is when the limit is approaching 0, in which case we may need to use the sandwich theorem to find the limit.

5. Can limits with absolute values in the numerator have more than one solution?

Yes, limits with absolute values in the numerator can have more than one solution. This can occur when the function has different left and right limits at a particular value, or when the function is undefined at that value. It is important to consider all possible cases and approaches when finding the limit in these situations.