Can this equation have more than one zero?

In summary, the equation x = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt} can have at most one zero, as shown by solving for t in the equation Ae^{at} + Be^{bt} = 0. For part b, it can be shown that if x(t)=0 for t>0, then either x(0)>0 and x'(0)<0; or x(0)<0 and x'(0)>0, by considering the signs of the constants a, b, A, and B in the equation x = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt}.
epsilonzero

Homework Statement

Consider [itex] x = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt} [/itex]

a) Show this can have at most one zero.
b) Show that if x(t)=0 for t>0, then either x(0)>0 and x'(0)<0; or x(0)<0 and x'(0)>0

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

x = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt}
0 = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt}
0 = ln(Ae^{at} + Be^{bt}}
0 = ln(A) + ln(e^{at}) + ln(B) + e^{bt}
0 = ln(A) + ln(B) + at + bt
0 = ln(AB) + t(a+b)
t=\frac{-ln(AB)}{a+b}
A,B,a, and b are constants so that's a distinct solution and the equation has just one zero, right?b)

t>0
a,b<0 (I think that was given in class)x = Ae^{at} + Be^{bt} [/itex] [itex]
x' = aAe^{at} + bBe^{bt}so after some manipulation I got

x = ln(AB) + t(a+b)
x' = ln(abAB) + t(a+b)In both these equations, I think the first term would be positive and the second term negative. I don't see how to reach the "either x(0)>0 and x'(0)<0; or x(0)<0 and x'(0)>0" conclusion. Any help?

Thank you very much.

p.s. I was trying to use latex for this post but couldn't get line breaks to work. How do I get equations on different lines? I tried \\ but nothing happened.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your "equations on lines question"
- start with the usual tex tags at beginning and end
- you need to use \begin{align*} and \end{align*} inside the tex tags.
-Put one equation on each line: use an ampersand ("&") at the spot where you wish the equations to line up. On this forum I typically put this before an equal or inequality sign
- To end one line and begin a new one, use // at the end. Do not do this at the end
of your final equation, or you will have extra blank space

When it comes to your work there is an error in the second line: note that

[tex]
\ln{(Ae^{at} + Be^{bt})} \ne \ln A + \ln{e^{at}} + \ln B + \ln{e^{bt}}
[/tex]

even though your work states the two sides are equal. It is impossible to simplify [tex] \ln(X + Y) [/tex] into sums.
(I foolishly hit Post rather than preview, so I have to edit my message to finish)

so that all of your work after this point is incorrect.

To address the question about the zero: perhaps start this way (perhaps in the line of a suggestion to you rather than an open question) (by the way, I'm using the align* idea in the work below)
Begin by assuming there is a solution.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
Ae^{at} + Be^{bt} & = 0\\
e^{at} \left(A + Be^{b-a}t\right) & = 0\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The first factor above can't be zero, so the second one, in parentheses, must be. That will give you some information about the unknown constants in your question.

Last edited:
I don't see how [itex] A + Be^{(b-a)t} = 0 [/itex] would tell me that there is at most one zero. Could you elaborate a little?

Also any ideas on part b?

Thanks

epsilonzero said:
I don't see how [itex] A + Be^{(b-a)t} = 0 [/itex] would tell me that there is at most one zero. Could you elaborate a little?

Also any ideas on part b?

Thanks

Did you really try to solve [itex]A+ Be^{(b-a)t}= 0[/itex]? What happens? How many roots do you get.

I got t=(ln(-A/B))/(b-a)

So I just say that's at most 1 root if either A or B is negative?

For the second part I have

x(0) = Ae^(a*0)+Be^(b*0) = A + B
x'(0) = Aae^(a*0)+Bbe^(b*0) = Aa + Bb

I know 0=Ae^(a*t)+Be^(b*t) so Ae^(at)=-Be^(bt)

a,b<0 and t>0

Now I'm stuck at what to do next. I don't know anything about the relative sizes of a, b, A and B so I can't make any conclusion about the signs of x(0) and x'(0). Any ideas?

Last edited:

1. What is a constant coefficient equation?

A constant coefficient equation is a type of mathematical equation where all the coefficients (numbers in front of variables) are constants, meaning they do not change. These equations are commonly used in algebra and calculus to solve for unknown values.

2. How do you solve a constant coefficient equation?

To solve a constant coefficient equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and find its value. The specific method used will depend on the type of equation and the given information.

3. What is the difference between a constant coefficient equation and a variable coefficient equation?

A constant coefficient equation has all constants as coefficients, while a variable coefficient equation has at least one variable as a coefficient. This means that the coefficients in a constant coefficient equation do not change, while the coefficients in a variable coefficient equation can vary depending on the values of the variables.

4. How are constant coefficient equations used in real-world situations?

Constant coefficient equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and predict relationships between different quantities. For example, they can be used to calculate the growth rate of a population, the trajectory of a projectile, or the decay of a radioactive substance.

5. Are there any limitations to constant coefficient equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to constant coefficient equations. They can only be used to model linear relationships, which means they cannot accurately represent non-linear relationships. Additionally, they may not be applicable to certain complex systems that involve multiple variables and changing coefficients.