Integration with Trig (Calc 2)

In summary, the online integrator solutions show that the answer to this equation is -ln(cos x) + ((cos x)^2)/2 + c. However, the answer that I am getting is not equal to this. I am wondering if I am making some sort of elementary mistake.
demersal

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(sin x)^{3}}{(cos x)}[/tex]dx

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(sin x)^{2}}{(cos x)}(sin x)[/tex]dx

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1-(cos x)^{2}}{(cos x)}(sin x)[/tex]dx

u = cos x
du = -sin x dx

- [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1-(u)^{2}}{(u)}[/tex]du

Where do I go from here? I am kind of stuck. Can I just simply split the two up, as in 1/u - u^2/2? I think I tried that and end up with the wrong answer. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure you can split them up. But what happened to the '-' in -sin(x)dx?

Oops! I had the - on my paper, I forgot it in transferring it :smile: I will edit that now!

But the answer I am getting is not equal to the answers those online integral calculators are showing. Here is my work:

= - [tex]\int[/tex]du/u + [tex]\int\frac{u^{2}}{u}[/tex]du
= - ln u + (1/2)u[tex]^{2}[/tex] + c
= - ln (cos x) + ((cos x)^2)/2 + c

Am I making some sort of elementary mistake?

demersal said:
Oops! I had the - on my paper, I forgot it in transferring it :smile: I will edit that now!

But the answer I am getting is not equal to the answers those online integral calculators are showing. Here is my work:

= - [tex]\int[/tex]du/u + [tex]\int\frac{u^{2}}{u}[/tex]du
= - ln u + (1/2)u[tex]^{2}[/tex] + c
= - ln (cos x) + ((cos x)^2)/2 + c

Am I making some sort of elementary mistake?

That's perfectly fine. Differentiate it to make sure. Now take one on the online integrator solutions and do the same. There's lots of different ways to write the result that only differ by a constant. For example instead of cos(x)^2/2 you could put -sin(x)^2/2. They only differ by a constant.

Thanks, Dick! It did work. I feel very silly for not thinking of doing that myself!

1. What is integration with trigonometric functions?

Integration with trigonometric functions is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve formed by trigonometric functions in Calculus 2. This process involves finding the anti-derivative of a given trigonometric function and using that to calculate the area.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities used in integration?

Some of the basic trigonometric identities used in integration include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and power reducing identities. These identities help simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate.

3. How do you integrate trigonometric functions with powers?

To integrate trigonometric functions with powers, you can use the power reducing identities to reduce the power of the trigonometric function. Then, you can use substitution or integration by parts to find the anti-derivative and calculate the area under the curve.

4. Can you integrate trigonometric functions with different arguments?

Yes, you can integrate trigonometric functions with different arguments by using the substitution method. This involves replacing the variable with a new variable and then solving for the anti-derivative using the new variable.

5. How do you handle complex integrals with trigonometric functions?

Complex integrals with trigonometric functions can be solved by using the properties of complex numbers and Euler's formula. By converting trigonometric functions into their complex exponential form, the integral can be simplified and solved using the techniques of integration with complex numbers.