VERY : Please help with Diffusion Question and Membrane Protein question

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of proteins associated with the plasma membrane as either integral or peripheral. The question also asks for clarification on which type of transport is involved for specific proteins. The individual believes that glucose transporter, sodium-potassium pump, and ion channel are integral, but is unsure about their involvement in active or facilitated diffusion. They seek assistance with these questions.
bengalkitties
VERY URGENT: Please help with Diffusion Question and Membrane Protein question

Proteins associated with the plasma membrane can be classified as either integral membrane proteins or peripheral membrane proteins. For the following types of proteins, please specify whether they would be integral or peripheral.
Glucose transporter
Sodium-potassium pump
Ion channel

-I think that peripheral membranes are only on one side of the membrane whereas integral proteins are on both sides of the membrane. Therefore, I thought that glucose transporter was integral, sodium potassium was integral, and ion channel was peripheral. What am I doing wrong?

MY NEXT QUESTION:
Transport of large or hydrophilic molecules across the plasma membrane can occur via facilitated diffusion or via active transport. For the following types of proteins, please indicated which type of transport is involved.

Ion channel
Glucose transporter GLUT-1
Sodium-potassium pump

Active transport is when molecules can cross against the concentration gradient whereas faclitated diffusion can't go across the concentration gradient. So this is what I did: for ion channel, I said faclitated diffusion, glucose transporter is active transport, and sodium potassium pump is active transport. Where am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify and provide some additional information to help with your understanding of diffusion and membrane proteins.

Firstly, the classification of integral and peripheral membrane proteins is based on their location within the membrane, not just on one side. Integral proteins are embedded within the membrane and span through both sides, while peripheral proteins are attached to the surface of the membrane on either side. Both glucose transporter and sodium-potassium pump are integral proteins, while ion channels can be either integral or peripheral depending on their specific structure.

In terms of transport, facilitated diffusion and active transport are both types of passive transport, meaning they do not require energy. Facilitated diffusion involves the use of transporter proteins to move molecules across the membrane, while active transport involves the use of energy to move molecules against their concentration gradient. For the given proteins, the ion channel and glucose transporter GLUT-1 would both use facilitated diffusion, while the sodium-potassium pump would use active transport.

I hope this information helps clarify your understanding of diffusion and membrane proteins. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is diffusion and how does it work?

Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This process is driven by random molecular motion and does not require energy. It is an important mechanism for the transport of substances in and out of cells.

2. How does diffusion differ from active transport?

Diffusion is a passive process that does not require energy, while active transport is an active process that requires energy in the form of ATP. Diffusion also occurs down a concentration gradient, while active transport can move substances against a concentration gradient.

3. What role do membrane proteins play in diffusion?

Membrane proteins act as channels or transporters that facilitate the movement of substances across the cell membrane. They can also act as receptors that bind to specific molecules and initiate cellular responses. These proteins play a crucial role in regulating diffusion and maintaining homeostasis in the cell.

4. How does temperature affect diffusion?

Temperature affects diffusion by increasing the kinetic energy of particles, causing them to move more rapidly. This leads to an increase in the rate of diffusion. However, extreme temperatures can also denature membrane proteins, which can affect their ability to facilitate diffusion.

5. What factors can affect the rate of diffusion?

The rate of diffusion can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration gradient, surface area, and the permeability of the membrane. Other factors such as the size and charge of the particles, as well as the presence of membrane proteins, can also impact the rate of diffusion.