Potential Energy After Escape Velocity

In summary, the potential energy of an object that escapes from a planet's gravity and drifts away from the planet is always negative.
metapad
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding potential energy correctly. Let's say we have a runaway planet in deep space which is going in a perfectly straight line. The planet is perfectly spherical and doesn't have an atmosphere. If an object on the surface spontaneously (for the sake of simplicity as it's not the point) acquires a high upward velocity, it's kinetic energy should gradually be converted to potential energy as gravity slows it down, right? Well let's say that when the object was launched it had achieved escape velocity and eventually escapes the planet's gravity and drifts away from the planet. Let's say the object never gets caught in the planet's field of gravity again. Since it's not going to go near the planet again, where did all of that potential energy go? Energy can't be created or destroyed so the potential energy can't just simply disappear... I'm confused X_X

Physics news on Phys.org
metapad said:
Since it's not going to go near the planet again, where did all of that potential energy go? Energy can't be created or destroyed so the potential energy can't just simply disappear... I'm confused X_X

It went into its freedom :-)
Consider this: you have a debt. You also have an income. Your income is used to pay back that debt, so at a certain point, you've paid back everything. Your debt doesn't exist anymore. Where did all the money of your income go ?

What happens is that gravitationally (or otherwise) bound systems have a *negative* potential energy as compared to free systems. They must first pay back their debt of binding energy before they can be free. Otherwise they remain bound.

metapad said:
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding potential energy correctly. Let's say we have a runaway planet in deep space which is going in a perfectly straight line. The planet is perfectly spherical and doesn't have an atmosphere. If an object on the surface spontaneously (for the sake of simplicity as it's not the point) acquires a high upward velocity,
it's kinetic energy should gradually be converted to potential energy as gravity slows it down, right? Well let's say that when the object was launched it had achieved escape velocity and eventually escapes the planet's gravity and drifts away from the planet. Let's say the object never gets caught in the planet's field of gravity again. Since it's not going to go near the planet again, where did all of that potential energy go? Energy can't be created or destroyed so the potential energy can't just simply disappear... I'm confused X_X

the kinetic energy of the launched object is initially some positive number and the potential energy (relative to infinity) is some negative number. When the rocket is far away (never to be seen by the planet again) the kinetic energy is some smaller positive number and the potential energy is zero. The sum of the kinetic and potential energy is constant throughout the process.

Ohh... Suppose that makes sense. Thanks :P

1. What is potential energy after escape velocity?

Potential energy after escape velocity is the amount of energy required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a planetary body, such as a planet or moon. It is the energy that an object possesses when it is at a distance from the planetary body and is no longer affected by its gravitational force.

2. How is potential energy after escape velocity calculated?

Potential energy after escape velocity is calculated using the formula PE = GmM/r, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m is the mass of the object, M is the mass of the planetary body, and r is the distance between them. This formula is based on the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of their distance.

3. Can potential energy after escape velocity be negative?

Yes, potential energy after escape velocity can be negative. This occurs when the object has less energy than the amount required to escape the gravitational pull of the planetary body. In this case, the object will remain in orbit around the planetary body.

4. How does potential energy after escape velocity relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy after escape velocity and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are related to each other. As an object gains potential energy after escape velocity, it loses kinetic energy, and vice versa. This is because potential energy is energy that is stored in an object's position, while kinetic energy is energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

5. Why is potential energy after escape velocity important?

Potential energy after escape velocity is important because it determines whether or not an object can escape the gravitational pull of a planetary body. It also plays a crucial role in space travel and understanding the behavior of celestial bodies. Additionally, potential energy after escape velocity is an important concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectories of satellites and spacecraft.