Net Ionic Equation: 2HClO + Ca(OH)2 -> 2H2O + Ca(ClO)2

• Thread starter BoundByAxioms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the problem involves finding the net ionic equation for the reaction 2HClO(aq)+Ca(OH)_{2}(aq)\rightarrow 2H_{2}O(l)+Ca(ClO)_{2}(aq) with species that undergo electron transfer and those that remain unchanged. The answer is 2H+ + 2ClO-+Ca2++2OH- --> 2H2O+Ca2++2ClO- for the ionic equation, and H++OH--->H2O for the net ionic equation, assuming the weak acid HClO is known.
BoundByAxioms

Homework Statement

Find the net ionic equation:
2HClO(aq)+Ca(OH)[tex]_{2}[/tex](aq)[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 2H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O(l)+Ca(ClO)[tex]_{2}[/tex](aq)[tex]

...I would show my answer but the forum is not working well right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(P.S. subscripts, not superscripts)

Answer this question, and you should be able to get the net ionic equation.

Which species have a transfer of electrons, and which ones remain the same after the reaction has proceeded to completion?

sumzup said:
Which species have a transfer of electrons, and which ones remain the same after the reaction has proceeded to completion?

There is no electron transfer in this reaction.

sumzup said:
(P.S. subscripts, not superscripts)

Answer this question, and you should be able to get the net ionic equation.

Yeah I know it's subscripts, but when I use Latex is spits them out as superscripts...

Anyhow! I think the answer should just ultimately be:

2H+ + 2ClO-+Ca2++2OH- --> 2H2O+Ca2++2ClO-

And this ionic equation turns into the net ionic equation of:

H++OH--->H2O

BoundByAxioms said:
Yeah I know it's subscripts, but when I use Latex is spits them out as superscripts...

I think that's because you are interleaving text and images.

Anyhow! I think the answer should just ultimately be:

2H+ + 2ClO-+Ca2++2OH- --> 2H2O+Ca2++2ClO-

And this ionic equation turns into the net ionic equation of:

H++OH--->H2O

Could be OK, could be wrong, depends on what you should know. HClO is a weak acid, could be you are expected to write reaction equation as

HClO+OH--->H2O+ClO-

Ah, apparently I was expected to know that. Thanks for your help. How did you recognize that as a weak acid? Is it something you just know after a while?

Yes, memory and training.

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that are involved in a reaction. It eliminates spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction, to focus on the essential components.

2. How do you determine the net ionic equation for a reaction?

To determine the net ionic equation, you must first write out the balanced molecular equation. Then, identify the ions present in solution and determine which ones are spectator ions. Finally, write the net ionic equation by eliminating the spectator ions.

3. What are the reactants and products in the given net ionic equation?

The reactants are 2HClO and Ca(OH)2, and the products are 2H2O and Ca(ClO)2.

4. What is the purpose of writing a net ionic equation?

Writing a net ionic equation allows us to focus on the essential components of a reaction and see the actual chemical changes that occur. It also makes it easier to identify the type of reaction and predict the products.

5. Can a net ionic equation be used to determine the amount of products formed?

No, a net ionic equation only shows the species involved in the reaction, not their quantities. To determine the amount of products formed, you would need to use stoichiometry and the given amounts of reactants.