Velocity distribution curves general inquiry

The average velocity of a gas depends on its temperature and the mass of its molecules. If the number of molecules is increasing, but the temperature and mass remain constant, then the average velocity should also remain constant. However, if the temperature or mass changes, then the average velocity will change accordingly. The percentages of different molecules in a gas do not directly affect its average velocity, but they can indirectly affect it through their respective molar masses. In summary, the average velocity of a gas depends on its temperature and the mass of its molecules, and the percentages of different molecules in a gas can indirectly affect its average velocity through their respective molar masses.
mrjoe2
for a graph that has the velocity as the x-axis and the number of molecules as the y axis, i know that as the number of molecules increases, the average velocity will become lower and lower, but what if the molecules being tested are in relative amounts?

you have the equation speed = sqrt (3RT/Molar mass) depend on the MOLAR MASS of the molecule. so if you had air which is composed of 78.08% N2, 20.95 percent O2 and .93 percent Ar by volume. what does the percentages have to do with Molar mass? would i still just do my answer in terms of their molar masses or do i need to take into account their percentages?
my TA in u of t could not answer this question, i was hoping someone here could. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to calculate - average speed of what? Air molecule? No such thing.

mrjoe2 said:
... i know that as the number of molecules increases, the average velocity will become lower and lower ...

I don't understand why this would be true.

1. What is a velocity distribution curve?

A velocity distribution curve is a graph that represents the distribution of velocities within a system or population. It shows the frequency of different velocities and can give insight into the behavior or characteristics of the system.

2. How is a velocity distribution curve created?

A velocity distribution curve is created by collecting data on the velocities of individual objects within a system and plotting them on a graph. The data is then analyzed to determine the frequency of each velocity and the resulting curve is created.

3. What can a velocity distribution curve tell us?

A velocity distribution curve can tell us about the average velocity, the range of velocities, and the most common velocities within a system. It can also provide information about the shape and behavior of the system.

4. How is a velocity distribution curve different from a normal distribution curve?

A normal distribution curve represents the distribution of a continuous variable, while a velocity distribution curve specifically represents the distribution of velocities. Additionally, normal distribution curves have a symmetrical shape, while velocity distribution curves may have a skewed shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of velocity distribution curves?

Velocity distribution curves have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They can be used to analyze the velocity of particles in a fluid, the speed of vehicles on a road, or the movement of molecules in a chemical reaction. They are also commonly used in data analysis and forecasting for business and finance.