What is the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein?

• Thread starter Oblivion77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein is first order and can be determined by plotting the concentration of the reactant against time. It can change depending on reaction conditions and knowing it is significant in understanding the rate of consumption and product concentration. However, limitations may arise if the reaction is complex or involves multiple steps.
Oblivion77
1.The Problem
Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks! I think it is first order but need some verification.

Physics news on Phys.org
What reaction? Combustion? One of the four acid/base equilibria? Or some fancy organic modification?

Not that I will be able to answer, but at the moment even someone with PhDenoloftalein degree won't help.

I should have specified, but the phenolphthalein was mixed with OH-, that still might not be enough information needed.

I think you need to have 2 of the following to be able to find order of reaction.

Reaction Rate, Time and Concentration.

1. What is the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein?

The order of reaction for Phenolphthalein is first order.

2. How is the order of reaction determined for Phenolphthalein?

The order of reaction for Phenolphthalein can be determined by plotting the concentration of the reactant against time and observing the slope of the resulting line.

3. Can the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein change?

Yes, the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein can change depending on the reaction conditions and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

4. What is the significance of knowing the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein?

Knowing the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein can help in understanding the rate at which the reactant is consumed and how the concentration of products changes over time.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein?

Yes, the method used to determine the order of reaction for Phenolphthalein may not be accurate if the reaction is complex or involves multiple steps.