Find power given:velocity,CoFriction,Mass,slope angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the power required for a woman to pull a 50 kg wagon uphill at a speed of 0.40 m/s on a hill with a 20° angle and a coefficient of friction of 0.35. The net force is not zero because the woman is doing work against friction and gravity. The equation P=F*V can be used to find the power required once the force is determined using either kinetic or energy equations.
helpmedude

Homework Statement

What power must a woman expend on a 50 kg wagon that she is pulling up a hill at a speed of 0.40 m/s. The hill makes an angle of 20° with the horizontal and the coefficient of friction is 0.35. <<<this was copied and pasted straight from web ct

Homework Equations

Fnet=Fp-Ffr
P=Fvcostheta
p=w/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really gotten anywhere I just don't see how I could find power without knowing any time or distance and since the woman is moving at a constant velocity the net force must be zero. right? however I know if an object is moved work is done. and considering there is no distance given I don't see how I could find a time. I have a feeling I am missing something very obvious or it is unsolvable. I am stuck and I am in a distance course and my instructor doesn't seem to want to check his email so I am getting a bit stressed out whihc as you know tends to cloud the mind this is the last question of my assignment whihc is due tonight please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two types of "work", the one where the velocity changes, and the one where the position of the particle is lifted. Even if the person is pulling at a constant speed, since she's going uphill, that means she's doing work. And since power is just the change of work, the problem is solvable.

One of your three formulas actually provides you with what you need, as you have everything avaliable.

Remember, just because the net force is 0 does not mean the work done on the box is zero.

If you're still stuck, draw a free body diagram of the system. It should help you in figuring out what's going on.

Last edited:
Ok thanks I am thinkning it through right now

if work =change in kinetic energy than wnet=25kg(0.40m/s)^2
Wnet=4J if force is balanced I should ignore the friction correct?

Hmmm, I was looking more at the "P= F*V" equation

No, friction should not be ignored here. The friction is what is keeping the total acceleration here 0, thus making a net force of 0 for the system.

You must keep in mind that friction is doing negative work on the system itself. If you are going to play with energy instead of kinematics, you will need to do the entire equation for energy:

PE i (Potential energy initial) + KE i (Kinetic energy initial) = PE f (final) + KE f

The problem with your assumption, is that you assume there is no final potential energy, but there is, because she is going uphill.

Try approaching it kinematically instead of with energy. Once you find the force the woman exerts, you just plug it into the equation and you got your power.

Edit: Your free body diagram should aid in helping you figure out what the force is.

Last edited:
YES! I think it just clicked all I need to do is find the Force of friction which will be a negative value and then I know that since there is no acceleration the forces are balanced so I simply take the positive value of the force of friction and that is the force the woman is exerting on the box therefore. Fp=Ffr so -Ffr times velocity equals power. Ughh I hate it when I goof up on easy problems and over think them to the point of mind numbing frustration. I hope i am on the right path here I think I am. Thank you very much

Ah, not quite. The woman's going uphill. Friction's not the only force acting against her, there's also gravity to consider. (Assuming that you have your x-axis along the slope of the hill.)

Other then that, you're on the right track now. :)

haha yep thank you. like I said mind numbing frustration I tend to lose my common sense

1. How do velocity and slope angle affect the power output?

The power output is directly proportional to the product of velocity and the sine of the slope angle. This means that the higher the velocity and the steeper the slope angle, the greater the power output.

2. How does the coefficient of friction impact the power output?

The coefficient of friction affects the power output by increasing the amount of energy required to overcome the frictional force. This means that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a lower power output.

3. What role does mass play in determining power output?

The mass of an object affects the power output by increasing the amount of work required to move the object against gravity. This means that a higher mass will result in a lower power output.

4. How do changes in slope angle affect the amount of power required?

As the slope angle increases, the amount of power required to move an object against gravity also increases. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the amount of work required to overcome the force of gravity.

5. How can I calculate the power output given these variables?

The formula for calculating power is: power = (velocity * mass * gravity * sin(slope angle)) / coefficient of friction. By plugging in the values for each variable, you can determine the power output in watts.