Mandelbrot Set: Why Are Julia Sets Connected?

In summary, the Mandelbrot set is defined as the values of a complex constant c for which the Julia Sets of the iterative function f(z)=z^2+c are connected. However, some sources suggest that it can also be constructed by varying the constant c while keeping the launch point constant at z=0. The question then arises as to why a bound orbit for the iterative function launched from z=0 implies a connected Julia Set. It is observed that all connected Julia Sets contain the point z=0, but it is uncertain if a disconnected Julia Set can also contain this point. Further investigation is needed to determine if there is a proof stating that a Julia Set contains the point z=0 if and only if it is connected
Troels
Don't know if this is the right subforum, but here goes:

The Mandelbrot set is formally defined as the values of a complex constant c for which the Julia Sets of the iterative function:

[tex]
f(z)=z^2+c
[/tex]

are connected (i.e. consists of a single figure)

Recall that the Julia sets are the launch points [tex]z_0[/tex] of the iteration that gives rise to bound orbits in the complex plan for some given constant c

However, according to some less formal sources (e.g. wikipedia) the Mandelbrot set can also be constructed simply by analyzing the same iterative function, only this time keep the launch point constant (0) and vary the constant - or parameter - c instead. Those values that give bound orbits are the Mandelbrot Set

This seems like a peculiar accident, but that cannot be so. So my question is: Why does a bound orbit for the iterative function

[tex]
f(z)=z^2+c
[/tex]

launched from [tex]z_0=0[/tex] for a given value of c, imply that the corrosponding Julia Set is connected?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've given this a bit more thought and the following occurred to me:

If the orbit launches from z=0 is bounded then z=0 is of course in the julia set.

And all the Connected julia sets I have seen contain the point z=0, but I haven't seen a dis-connected Julia Set that contains the point z=0. Of course, that is an argument from ignorance on my part.

So I guess that the question now is: Does there exist a proof that states that a Julia Set contains the point z=0 if and only if it is connected? If so, then the issue is solved.

1. What is the Mandelbrot Set?

The Mandelbrot Set is a mathematical set of complex numbers that follows a specific pattern when iterated through a mathematical formula. It is named after mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot, who discovered and studied this set.

2. What are Julia Sets?

Julia Sets are a type of fractal set that is closely related to the Mandelbrot Set. They are created using a similar mathematical formula, but with a varying parameter value. Unlike the Mandelbrot Set, Julia Sets do not have a well-defined boundary and can have infinitely complex shapes.

3. How are Julia Sets connected to the Mandelbrot Set?

Julia Sets are connected to the Mandelbrot Set through a concept known as the "Mandelbrot Set as the basin of attraction". This means that each point in the Mandelbrot Set corresponds to a unique Julia Set, and the structure of the Julia Set is determined by the position of its corresponding point in the Mandelbrot Set.

4. Why are Julia Sets connected?

The mathematical formula used to create Julia Sets has a property known as "holomorphicity", which means that it is continuously differentiable. This allows for smooth transitions between different Julia Sets, creating a connected structure.

5. What is the significance of the connection between Julia Sets and the Mandelbrot Set?

The connection between Julia Sets and the Mandelbrot Set is significant because it demonstrates the complexity and beauty that can arise from simple mathematical formulas. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between different fractal sets and the underlying principles that govern their creation.