Set Theory Theorems: Solving for A in A ∩ B = C ∩ B and A ∩ B' = C ∩ B

In summary, the conversation discusses the logic behind the proof that if A intersect B equals C intersect B and A intersect B' equals C intersect B', then A equals C. This is demonstrated by using the distributive law for sets and the concept that B+B' represents the entire space. The conversation also includes an example to further explain the logic behind the proof.
mbcsantin
I need help on how to get started with this question:
Im stocked and i just don't have a clue on how to figure this out.

Prove:
If A intersect B = C intersect B and A intersect B' = C intersect B' then A = C

Physics news on Phys.org
To save writing * = intersec and + = union.

A = A*B + A*B' = C*B + C*B' = C

A = A*B + A*B' results from 2 things, distributive law for sets [A*(B+B') = A*B + A*B'] and the fact that B+B' is the entire space.

mathman said:
To save writing * = intersec and + = union.

A = A*B + A*B' results from 2 things, distributive law for sets [A*(B+B') = A*B + A*B'] and the fact that B+B' is the entire space.

Thank you but
i'm a little bit confused now..
Let me just translate what you wrote,

So,

becomes

A = (AnB) U (AnB') = (CnB) U (CnB') = C the symbol "n" for intersect

A = AnB U AnB' results from 2 things, distributive law for sets [An(BUB') = AnB U AnB']

I just don't quite get it. Could you please justify it. Like step by step if possible?

Let me just re-write the question:
If A n B = C n B and A n B' = C n B' then A = C

they share the same points inside B and also share the same points outside B. E.g. if you and your roommate have the same girlfriends both in class and outside class, then you have all the same girlfriends.

mathwonk said:
they share the same points inside B and also share the same points outside B. E.g. if you and your roommate have the same girlfriends both in class and outside class, then you have all the same girlfriends.

I understand the example you mentioned above but i still don't get this:

A = (AnB) U (AnB') = (CnB) U (CnB') = C

i don't get how you figure that out!
still doesn't make sense to me

Last edited:
In words A intersect B means all point in A and in B, while A intersect B' means all points in A and not in B. Put them together and you get all points in A.

1. What is set theory and why is it important in mathematics?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, called sets, and the relationships between them. It is important because it provides the foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry, and helps us understand the structure of mathematical objects.

2. What is a theorem in set theory?

A theorem in set theory is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and the axioms and rules of set theory. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and serves as the building blocks for more complex mathematical arguments.

3. How are theorems of set theory proved?

Theorems of set theory are typically proved using a deductive approach, which involves starting with a set of axioms and using logical reasoning to reach a conclusion. In some cases, proofs may also involve the use of mathematical induction or other proof techniques.

4. Can theorems of set theory be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, theorems of set theory can be applied to real-world situations, as sets and their properties are used in many fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. For example, set theory is used in database design and analysis, market analysis, and the study of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the theorems of set theory?

While set theory is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot answer questions about the existence of sets or the size of infinite sets. Also, some paradoxes, such as Russell's paradox, have been discovered within set theory, which has led to the development of alternative set theories.