How can the following integral be evaluated for x^2<1?

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral that came up in a research paper, with the answer being zero for x^2<1. The individual tried using a power series to solve it, but it became too complicated. Others suggested using a substitution or Mathematica to evaluate the integral, but it was not successful. Finally, a solution using the series \ln(1 - t) = - \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{t^n}{n}, \lvert t \rvert < 1 was proposed and found to work.
meichenl
The following integral came up in a paper I was reading recently.

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi}\ln(1 + x^2 - 2x\cos\theta)d\theta [/tex]

The answer, for x^2<1, is zero. I'm not sure why. I tried writing it as a power series and showing that the integral for any given power of x vanishes, but it got too messy to work through. Anyone have a trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint change variable to
u=x^2-2x cos(theta)

lurflurf, thank you for your reply, but I am still stuck. To make the substitution you suggest, I need to be able to completely eliminate theta, so:

[tex]
u = x^2 - 2x\cos\theta \vspace{10mm}[/tex]

[tex]
du = 2x\sin\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]
d\theta = \frac{du}{2x\sin\theta}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{u - x^2}{-2x} = \cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{u^2 - 2ux^2 + x^4}{4x^2} = 1-\sin^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]
\sin\theta = \sqrt{1-\frac{u^2 - 2ux^2 + x^4}{4x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]
d\theta = \frac{du}{2x \sqrt{1-\frac{u^2 - 2ux^2 + x^4}{4x^2}}}
[/tex]

I can't quite put this in the original problem yet, because the substitution is not bijective. There are multiple theta values over the range of the original integral that correspond to the same u value. I could split the integral into different pieces, or use the symmetry of the cosine function to play with the limits of integration before making any substitution, as I do below.

[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} \ln(1+x^2 - 2x\cos\theta)d\theta = 2\int_0^\pi \ln(1+x^2 - 2x\cos\theta)d\theta
=2\int_{x^2 - 2x}^{x^2+2x} \ln(1+u) \frac{du}{2x \sqrt{1-\frac{u^2 - 2ux^2 + x^4}{4x^2}}}
[/tex]

Perhaps I'm missing something or made a mistake, but it doesn't look inviting from there.

I had Mathematica attempt to evaluate the integral analytically, but it failed. Plotting the function, it certainly looked plausible that for x^2<1 the integral evaluates to zero, and it's not really crucial for my research that I understand exactly why this works, but I am interested in how to do it, if anyone has a good method handy. The integral does appear in tables, but I didn't find an explanation of where the answer comes from.

Mathematica seemed to be happy with Integrate[Log[1 + x^2 - 2 x Cos[theta]], {theta, 0, 2 Pi}, Assumptions -> x > 0 && x < 1]: it gave an answer of zero. I'm thinking about how one could actually perform the integral; note that [tex]1 + x^2 - 2x cos \theta = \lvert 1 - xe^{i\theta} \rvert^2[/tex].

Last edited:
adrian,

you're right - thank you. mathematica just took a minute or so to do it, and i wasn't very patient.

you're also right about the vector interpretation. the argument of the natural log is essentially coming from the law of cosines.

Well, I think I found something that works, based on the series
[tex]\ln(1 - t) = - \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{t^n}{n}, \lvert t \rvert < 1.[/tex]

Here goes:
[tex]
\begin{split}
\int_{0}^{2\pi} \ln(1 + x^2 - 2x \cos \theta) \,d\theta
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \ln \lvert 1 - xe^{i\theta} \rvert^2 \,d\theta \\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \ln \left[(1 - xe^{i\theta})(1 - xe^{-i\theta})\right] \,d\theta \\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \ln (1 - xe^{i\theta}) + \ln (1 - xe^{-i\theta}) \,d\theta \\
&= - \int_{0}^{2\pi} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(xe^{i\theta})^n}{n} + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(xe^{-i\theta})^n}{n} \,d\theta \text{\quad if $\lvert x \rvert < 1$} \\
&= - \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n} \int_{0}^{2\pi} e^{in\theta} + e^{-in\theta} \,d\theta \\
&= 0.
\end{split}
[/tex]

Last edited:
adrian - that's pretty cool. thanks!

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve, within a specific range of values. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you must first determine the limits of integration and the function to be integrated. Then, you can use various techniques such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, or integration by parts to solve the integral and find the numerical value.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

The main difference between a definite and indefinite integral is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will result in a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will result in a function with an arbitrary constant.

4. What are the applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, work, and other physical quantities. They are also used in optimization problems, determining probabilities, and analyzing data.

5. How do you know if a definite integral is convergent or divergent?

A definite integral is convergent if the area under the curve is finite, and divergent if the area is infinite. To determine if an integral is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, or integral test. These tests analyze the behavior of the function being integrated to determine its convergence or divergence.