Unpacking the Validity of the Second Law of Thermodynamics: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary: But if everything was destroyed in a big crunch, then entropy would be destroyed and everything would go back to the beginning. So in summary, the big crunch could potentially violate the second law.
bassplayer142
First Off, I don't know how plausible this theory is to begin with. But if entropy can only be created and not destroyed wouldn't the big crunch take everything back to the start (destroy entropy). I guess a thought experiment where impossibly you take everything in the universe and smash it together including yourself.

Is The 2nd law flawed in a way we don't know? Note that I don't really care about the plausibility of the big crunch but rather the question of entropy being completely valid.

Space news on Phys.org
bassplayer142 said:
... I guess a thought experiment where impossibly you take everything in the universe and smash it together including yourself.

Is The 2nd law flawed in a way we don't know? Note that I don't really care about the plausibility of the big crunch but rather the question of entropy being completely valid.

Your thought experiment suggests a way of defining entropy so that no observer can ever see the law violated.

Suppose you define entropy not as absolute (in the eye of a being outside the universe) but in a way that depends on an observer.

This is fairly common in physics. The momentum of something is defined from the standpoint of a particular observer. It is relative to the observer rather than absolute.

So you might say that the entropy is the log of the ratio of the number of microstates per macrostates (which the particular observer can distinguish).

It depends on this ratio: #microstates/#macrostates

So if the observer dies, that particular measure of entropy becomes ill-defined. Or if all possible observers with the same point of view (this side of the Crunch or Bounce) are destroyed then the 2nd Law cannot be violated.

Because it doesn't matter what microstates and macrostates an observer on the other (re-expansion) side of the bounce detects and enumerates. New observer, new definition of what are distinguishable macrostates, new measure of entropy. Discontinuity. No violation of the 2nd Law (in the eyes of anyone observer.)

The original formulation of the 2nd Law was always from the standpoint of an observer--they just didn't emphasize this. It says that no observer will be able to build a perpetual motion machine. well a Big Crunch wouldn't allow anyone to build a perpetual motion machine or a perfectly efficient heat engine or any suchlike. So one could argue that the Big Crunch is OK.

Just my two cents. People differ about this, but that's my take on it.

I think I understand what you are saying. I guess the second law was formulated by people with work and heat.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a scientific concept that refers to the measure of disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it describes the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work in a given system.

2. What are the laws of entropy?

The laws of entropy, also known as the laws of thermodynamics, are fundamental principles in physics that govern the behavior of energy in a system. These laws state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another, and that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. How does entropy relate to the concept of disorder?

The concept of disorder is often used to explain entropy, but it is important to note that this is a simplified explanation. While entropy does involve a measure of disorder, it also takes into account the number of possible arrangements or states that a system can have. In a highly ordered system, there are fewer possible arrangements, while in a disordered system, there are many more possible arrangements.

4. How does entropy affect everyday life?

Entropy plays a role in many aspects of our everyday lives. For example, it is the reason why a cup of hot coffee will eventually cool down to room temperature, or why an ice cube will melt in a warm room. It also explains why it is easier to break an egg than to unbreak it, and why it is more likely for a room to become messy than to spontaneously become clean.

5. Can entropy be reversed?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. While some processes may seem to decrease entropy locally (such as a flower growing, which may appear to become more ordered), the overall entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase. Therefore, entropy cannot be reversed on a large scale, but it is possible to decrease entropy in localized areas by inputting energy into the system.