Why don't sin and arcsin cancel?

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary: Neither am I. If anything, sticking to such notation saves you the trouble of having to memorize for stuff, which in turn will probably confuse you...or at the very least, slow you down when trying to remember something.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

This isn't really a problem, just a question...

If you had sin(x) / sin^2(x), you are left with 1/sin(x), right?

So how come when you have sin(x)*arcsin(x) you aren't left with 1? Isn't arcsin(x) the same as writing sin^-1 (x)?

Therefore writing sin(x)arcsin(x) would be like writing sin(x)/sin(x) = 1

But it isn't... why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Because [itex]\arcsin(x)[/itex] is not [itex]1/\sin(x)[/itex]. The reciprocal of the sine function is the cosecant function.

The following is a valid identity for all x in the domain of the cosecant function.

[tex]\sin(x)\csc(x)=\sin(x)\frac{1}{\sin(x)}=1[/tex]

The arcsine function is the inverse function for the sine function on the interval [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. So they "cancel" each other under composition of functions, as follows.

[tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=\arcsin(\sin(x))=x[/tex]

The notation for inverse functions, f-1(x) is just that: notation, a shorthand way of writing the inverse of a function f. Even though the -1 looks like an exponent, it is meant to be understood in a different way. In function composition, it makes a bit more sense: [itex](f \circ f^{-1})(x) = x[/itex]. Keep in mind the operation indicated by the circle is not multiplication.

Tom Mattson said:
Because [itex]\arcsin(x)[/itex] is not [itex]1/\sin(x)[/itex]. The reciprocal of the sine function is the cosecant function.

The following is a valid identity for all x in the domain of the cosecant function.

[tex]\sin(x)\csc(x)=\sin(x)\frac{1}{\sin(x)}=1[/tex]

The arcsine function is the inverse function for the sine function on the interval [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. So they "cancel" each other under composition of functions, as follows.

[tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=\arcsin(\sin(x))=x[/tex]

I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I've been looking for. :smile:

If [tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=x[/tex], would [tex]\sin(3\arcsin(x))=3x[/tex]?

3 multiplied by arcsin(x), the arcsin is canceled and we're left with 3 multiplied by x?

No, sin(arcsin(3x)) = 3x.

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

Hmmm...

I've already worked out [tex]y=arcsin(x)[/tex] in another question, so how about this? :

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1707/65841090.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What about that? What is strange there? It is derivative of y= arcisin(x) .

I was referring to my previous question, whether [tex]\sin(3\arcsin(x))=3x[/tex]. :smile:

Matty R said:
I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I've been looking for. :smile:

If [tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=x[/tex], would [tex]\sin(3\arcsin(x))=3x[/tex]?

3 multiplied by arcsin(x), the arcsin is canceled and we're left with 3 multiplied by x?
No. You seem to be thinking in terms of multiplication instead of function composition, which is what sin(arcsin(x)) represents.

For a simpler example, if f(x) = x2, is f(2x) = 2f(x)? No. Why then should sin(3x) be equal to 3sin(x)? This is essentially what you're asking.

Mark44 said:
No. You seem to be thinking in terms of multiplication instead of function composition, which is what sin(arcsin(x)) represents.

For a simpler example, if f(x) = x2, is f(2x) = 2f(x)? No. Why then should sin(3x) be equal to 3sin(x)? This is essentially what you're asking.

It makes sense now. :smile:

I haven't done this before, so I'm just trying everything I can think of.

Did I get it right in that image I posted? :smile:

Matty R said:
It makes sense now. :smile:

I haven't done this before, so I'm just trying everything I can think of.

Did I get it right in that image I posted? :smile:

yes, 3 is only a constant

Yes. One of the properties of differentiation is that d/dx(k*f(x)) = k* d/dx(f(x)), where k is a constant. Differentiation and integration are linear in that respect, while most functions, including the trig functions, aren't.

Oh brilliant. Thank you very much. :smile:

I'll make a note of "d/dx(k*f(x)) = k* d/dx(f(x))". I actually understand it. :biggrin:

This confusion is a good argument for always writing [tex]\arcsin[/tex] and never writing [tex]\sin^{-1}[/tex] . A lot of nineteenth-century notation like that can nowadays be left behind. All we have to do is convince everyone of this!

Second point. Strictly speaking [tex]\arcsin(\sin(x)) = x[/tex] is not always true. For example:
[tex]0 = \arcsin(0) = \arcsin(\sin(\pi)) \ne \pi[/tex]

g_edgar said:
This confusion is a good argument for always writing [tex]\arcsin[/tex] and never writing [tex]\sin^{-1}[/tex] . A lot of nineteenth-century notation like that can nowadays be left behind. All we have to do is convince everyone of this!
I for one am not convinced. How would you write the composition of an arbitrary function and its inverse without this notation?

Mark44 said:
I for one am not convinced. How would you write the composition of an arbitrary function and its inverse without this notation?

Neither am I. If anything, sticking to such notation saves you the trouble of having to memorize for stuff, which in turn will probably confuse you further.

Well, it is a matter of finding some balance between things that can be confusing. What do I mean by:

[tex]x^{-1} = sin^{-1}(x)[/tex]

is it

[tex]\frac 1 x = arcsin(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac {1} {x} = \frac {1} {sin(x)}[/tex]

Borek said:
Well, it is a matter of finding some balance between things that can be confusing. What do I mean by:

[tex]x^{-1} = sin^{-1}(x)[/tex]

is it

[tex]\frac 1 x = arcsin(x)[/tex]

I would hope you mean this.

One simply needs to remember that "^(-1)" means "inverse." So, when applied to a variable as [itex]x^{-1}[/itex], it means multiplicative inverse, but when applied to a function as [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex], it means the inverse function.

So, how do we understand [tex]f^{-2}(x)[/tex]?

Borek said:
So, how do we understand [tex]f^{-2}(x)[/tex]?

I would never write that. I would write [itex]f(x)^{-2}[/itex].

g_edgar said:

Second point. Strictly speaking [tex]\arcsin(\sin(x)) = x[/tex] is not always true. For example:

[tex]Arcsin(x)[/tex] can only return values of y [tex]\frac{-\pi}{2}\leq y\leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
If you're going to define a function [tex]Sin(x)[/tex], then its domain would have to conform to the range of [tex]Arcsin(x)[/tex] , wouldn't it?

Once you're using non-functions though, that's a whole story altogether.

Last edited:
I agree with borek here. Rather than having two completely different representations of the inverse for trigs, such as [itex]sin^{-1}x[/itex] and [itex]arcsinx[/itex], the first of which can be confused for [itex]cosecx[/itex] and the second seems to have no initial relationship with the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex], there should instead be a change for the representation of inverse functions.
Something that is completely different, and cannot be confused for something else.

e.g. the inverse of [itex]f(x)[/itex] could be something like [itex]f^*(x)[/itex] so the inverse of a trig function wouldn't be confused for anything else since there is nothing else that represents the *

Just a bad call of judgement for choice of notation I believe.

To make things more confusing, [tex]f^*(x)[/tex] means to me conjugate function :devil:

Mentallic said:
I agree with borek here. Rather than having two completely different representations of the inverse for trigs, such as [itex]sin^{-1}x[/itex] and [itex]arcsinx[/itex], the first of which can be confused for [itex]cosecx[/itex] and the second seems to have no initial relationship with the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex], there should instead be a change for the representation of inverse functions.
Something that is completely different, and cannot be confused for something else.

There's no confusion if one is consistent! Positive powers of trigonometric (and all) functions can be written [itex]f^n(x)[/itex] since there is no ambiguity. Negative powers are written [itex]f(x)^{-n}[/itex] to avoid confusion with inverses.

e.g. the inverse of [itex]f(x)[/itex] could be something like [itex]f^*(x)[/itex] so the inverse of a trig function wouldn't be confused for anything else since there is nothing else that represents the *

Just a bad call of judgement for choice of notation I believe.

Asterisks are used for lots of things, so it's probably best not to choose that!

Borek said:
To make things more confusing, [tex]f^*(x)[/tex] means to me conjugate function :devil:

I was afraid this was going to happen! :yuck:
It's not even possible to think of a new, original, notation idea. Maybe that's the reason for expressing inverses in that such way.

[tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex]

[tex]f(x^{-1})[/tex]

[tex]f(x)^{-1}[/tex]

All meaning completely different things. I like it :biggrin:

cristo said:
There's no confusion if one is consistent! Positive powers of trigonometric (and all) functions can be written [itex]f^n(x)[/itex] since there is no ambiguity.
It's just this ambiguity that you need to watch out for. Remembering to apply the inverse rather than reciprocal is quite easy to remember and not get confused with after a bit of practice, but the whole idea is very unoriginal and confusing for the newbie mathematician.

By the way, were the reciprocal trigo functions created to avoid confusing it with the inverse?

[tex]sin(x)^{-1}=cosec(x)\neq sin^{-1}(x)[/tex]

[tex]cos(x)^{-1}=sec(x)\neq cos^{-1}(x)[/tex]

[tex]tan(x)^{-1}=cot(x)\neq tan^{-1}(x)[/tex]

If so, how much nicer would it have been if the inverse was represented by something else that didn't cause this ambiguity in the last column of trigo functions.

Last edited:
g_edgar said:

I don’t find this confusing, as long you put in mind that;
[tex]
\sin^{-1}(x) \ne (\sin(x))^{-1}
[/tex]

this could never be true, cause;
[tex]
\arcsin(\sin(x)) = y[/tex]

you're saying like;
[tex]
y = \arcsin(x=0) = \arcsin(\sin( \x=pi)) \ne x
[/tex]
sure it won’t. you know that x and y values are;

for sin function
-1≤y≤1
-∞≤x≤∞ [radians]

while arcsin function
−π/2 ≤ y ≤ π/2 [radians]
−1 ≤ x ≤ 1

Last edited:
drizzle said:
I don’t find this confusing, as long you put in mind that;
[tex]
\sin^{-1}(x) \ne (\sin(x))^{-1}
[/tex]

this could never be true, cause;
[tex]
\arcsin(\sin(x)) = y[/tex]

you're saying like;
[tex]
y = \arcsin(x=0) = \arcsin( \x=\sin(pi)) \ne x
[/tex]
sure it won’t. you know that x and y values are;

for sin function
-1≤y≤1
-∞≤x≤∞ [radians]

while arcsin function
−π/2 ≤ y ≤ π/2 [radians]
−1 ≤ x ≤ 1
but sin²(x) = (sin(x))², so in my opinion it is ambiguous since this notation for sine squared is accepted as well. I prefer arcsin over sin^-1 and sec for the reciprocal sine.

1. Why doesn't the inverse sine function cancel out the sine function?

The inverse sine function, also known as the arcsine function, is the inverse of the sine function. This means that when we input a value into the arcsine function, we get the angle whose sine is equal to that value. However, the sine function does not have a one-to-one relationship, meaning that for any given input, there can be multiple outputs. This is why the inverse sine function cannot simply cancel out the sine function.

2. Can't we just use the inverse of sine to find the angle?

While it is true that the inverse sine function can be used to find the angle whose sine is equal to a given value, it is important to note that this only works for certain values. The sine function has a periodic nature, meaning that it repeats itself at regular intervals. Therefore, the inverse sine function can only give us an angle within a specific range, typically between -90 degrees and 90 degrees.

3. How are the sine and inverse sine functions related?

The sine and inverse sine functions are inverse functions of each other, meaning that they "undo" each other when used together. For example, if we take the sine of an angle and then take the inverse sine of that result, we will get back the original angle. This relationship is important in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Is there a way to simplify the expression sin(arcsin(x))?

Unfortunately, there is no way to simplify this expression any further. As mentioned before, the inverse sine function cannot simply cancel out the sine function due to their different natures. Therefore, this expression cannot be simplified and should be left as is.

5. Why do we need both the sine and inverse sine functions?

Both the sine and inverse sine functions serve important purposes in mathematics and science. The sine function helps us model and understand periodic phenomena, while the inverse sine function allows us to find angles given a certain sine value. Without these two functions, we would not be able to fully comprehend and solve many mathematical and scientific problems.