Building My First Logic Gate: A Beginner's Journey

In summary, the conversation is about designing a logic circuit for a TV program where a panel votes on new performers. The SUCCESS light is switched on if the Chairman and at least one of the panellists vote yes, or if all three panellists vote yes. The FAIL light is switched on otherwise. The attempted solution is to use the equation S = C AND (X OR Y OR Z) OR (X AND Y AND Z) to correctly switch each light on based on the panel's voting. The next step is to group the equation properly and then decide whether to input it into a truth table or go straight to using logic gates. It is also noted that an AND statement can have more than two inputs.
JosephF

Homework Statement

I'm studying logic gates and trying to create my first one.

Homework Equations

3. In a TV programme, the panel votes on new performers.
The panel consists of a Chairman (C) and three others (X, Y and Z) who each press a button to register their vote.

The SUCCESS light is switched on if:
Either The Chairman and at least one of the panellists vote yes
Or All three panellists vote yes

Otherwise the FAIL light is switched on.

Design a logic circuit which correctly switches each light on according to the voting of the panel.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've written all the statements our and managed to derive:

S = C AND (X OR Y OR Z) OR (X AND Y AND Z)

Which I think is correct. I'm now not sure where to go from here. I've googled but can't find any think relevant.

Regards,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JosephF said:

Homework Statement

I'm studying logic gates and trying to create my first one.

Homework Equations

3. In a TV programme, the panel votes on new performers.
The panel consists of a Chairman (C) and three others (X, Y and Z) who each press a button to register their vote.

The SUCCESS light is switched on if:
Either The Chairman and at least one of the panellists vote yes
Or All three panellists vote yes

Otherwise the FAIL light is switched on.

Design a logic circuit which correctly switches each light on according to the voting of the panel.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've written all the statements our and managed to derive:

S = C AND (X OR Y OR Z) OR (X AND Y AND Z)

Which I think is correct. I'm now not sure where to go from here. I've googled but can't find any think relevant.

Regards,

I think you will want to be clear with your grouping.

S = (C Λ (X V Y V Z)) V ( X Λ Y Λ Z)

Ah yes, that looks better.

Whats my next step? Do I need to input it into a truth table or do I go streight to the logic gates? Also, can and AND statement have more than 2 inputs?

Thanks,

JosephF said:
Ah yes, that looks better.

Whats my next step? Do I need to input it into a truth table or do I go streight to the logic gates? Also, can and AND statement have more than 2 inputs?

Thanks,

Sure you can put as many inputs into an And or Or or Nand or Nor as you want.

Unless you are asked for a Truth Table ... why bother?

1. What is a logic gate?

A logic gate is a basic building block of digital circuits that performs a logical operation on one or more inputs and produces a single output based on that operation.

2. What components do I need to build my first logic gate?

To build a basic logic gate, you will need a power source, several transistors, resistors, and wires to connect them together. You may also need a breadboard or circuit board to hold the components in place.

3. How do I design a logic gate circuit?

To design a logic gate circuit, you will need to first determine the logical operation you want the gate to perform. Then, you can use a truth table to map out all possible input combinations and their corresponding output. From there, you can choose the appropriate components and connections to achieve the desired logic.

4. What are some common logic gates and their functions?

Some common logic gates include AND gates, OR gates, NOT gates, and XOR gates. AND gates output a high signal only when both inputs are high. OR gates output a high signal when either or both inputs are high. NOT gates invert the input signal. XOR gates output a high signal when either input is high, but not both.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a logic gate?

Yes, it is important to handle electronic components with care and to always use a power source that is appropriate for the components being used. It is also recommended to use a breadboard or circuit board to avoid accidental shocks or short circuits. Additionally, make sure to follow proper wiring and circuit design techniques to minimize potential hazards.