Mechanical Kinetic Energy vs Electrical Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an atom with a single electron in orbit around a nucleus. The electric potential energy and potential energy of the electron are determined, and the Coulomb law and Newton's second law of motion are used to find the relationship between the force and velocity of the electron. The conversation ends with a discussion about the Virial Theorem and a suggestion to proof-read work for errors.
jg370
jg said:
The problem I am working on is as follows:

Consider an atom with a single electron in orbit of radius r about a nuclear charge +Ze.

As requested, I have dertermine that the electric potential energy of the nucleus at the electron position and the potential energy of the electron are respectively:

[tex]V(r) = \frac{1}{{4\pi\varepsilon_o}}\frac{Ze}{r}[/tex]

and

[tex]PE(elect) = \frac{Ze}{{4\pi\varepsilon_o r}}[/tex]

Next, I am asked to use the Coulomb law for interaction between the orbiting electron and the nucleus and write Newton's second law of motion for the orbiting electron.

For this part of the problem, I have come up with:

[tex]F(elect) = F(cent)[/tex], which implies,

[tex]-\frac{Ze}{{4\pi\varepsilon_o r}} = m\frac{v^2}{2}[/tex]

My difficulty arises as I am asked to show that:

[tex]KE = -\frac{1}{2}PE[/tex]

Could someone give me a hint how to proceed with this part of the problem?

Thank you kindly,

jg

Physics news on Phys.org
jg370,

Well you're very close to the answer. You've got a tiny mistake here (on the RHS):

[tex]-\frac{Ze}{{4\pi\varepsilon_o r}} = m\frac{v^2}{2}[/tex]

If you fix it and then write the general equation for KE, I think you'll see the answer.

As jdavel said, check the expression on the RHS. This sort of 'coding' error (if you will) left me stumped on a problem which was just recently cleared up for me here. I better start getting in the habit of proof-reading my work. I suggest you do the same.

By the way, the result in this problem is called the Virial Theorem.

1. What is Mechanical Kinetic Energy?

Mechanical kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is directly related to the mass and velocity of the object, and it is a form of energy that can be transferred from one object to another through collisions or interactions.

2. What is Electrical Potential Energy?

Electrical potential energy is the energy stored in an object or system due to its position in an electric field. It is related to the amount of charge and the distance between the charges, and it is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

3. How are Mechanical Kinetic Energy and Electrical Potential Energy related?

Mechanical kinetic energy and electrical potential energy are both forms of energy and are interconvertible. For example, when a ball is dropped from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. Similarly, when a battery powers a motor, the electrical potential energy is converted into mechanical kinetic energy to make the motor run.

4. Which type of energy is used more in everyday life?

In everyday life, we use both mechanical kinetic energy and electrical potential energy extensively. However, electrical energy is more commonly used due to its versatility and convenience. We use it to power our homes, cars, and electronic devices, while mechanical energy is mostly used in industrial and transportation settings.

5. How can we calculate Mechanical Kinetic Energy and Electrical Potential Energy?

Mechanical kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation K = 1/2 * m * v2 where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Electrical potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = q * V where q is the charge and V is the voltage or potential difference between two points.