Clockwise or counterclockwise rotation about a fulcrum

In summary, the problem involves a uniform plank resting on two supports with 1.1m overhanging on the right side. A person weighing 450N walks on the overhanging part and the question is to find the maximum distance they can walk before the plank begins to tip. The solution involves using the equations T=Fl, \Sigma T=0, and \Sigma F=0, while considering the direction of rotation and force on each fulcrum. The final equation should be FL=675N-FR in order for the torque at L to be negative.
invadertak

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a uniform plank of length 5m and weight 225N that rests horizontally on two supports, with 1.1 m hanging over the right support. To what distance x can a person who weighs 450 N walk on the overhanging part of the plank before it just begins to tip?

l-x-l

\0/
l
/\

Homework Equations

T=Fl
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] T = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Take upward direction as positive and clockwise direction of motion as positive
Name the leftmost fulcrum L and the right fulcrum R
Fy = FL + FR - FWplank - FWPerson
Fy = 0
Thus FL + FR - 225N - 450 N = 0
Thus FL = 675N - + FR

This is where I get stuck. My equation kept boiling down to rubbish and when I checked the web for a solution, I found out I need to make the torque produced by Force L a negative number with respect to fulcrum R. However, won't the upward force of L produce a clockwise rotation? The rotation at R caused by force L is the only place that I seem to be messing up as other equations are exactly as the memo indicated. But I have taken clockwise to be positive (as the memo also indicated) and yet the memo says that my torque at L is negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry-one correction- FL=675N - FR

I would like to clarify that the direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise) is not determined by the direction we choose to be positive. It is determined by the direction of the force and the distance from the fulcrum. In this scenario, if we take clockwise direction as positive and consider the force from the left fulcrum L, the torque produced by this force will be negative as it is acting in the opposite direction of the clockwise rotation. This is why it is important to carefully consider the direction of forces and distances when solving for torque and equilibrium in a system. Therefore, in order to solve this problem correctly, we need to assign the direction of forces and distances carefully and consistently throughout the equations.

1. What is a fulcrum?

A fulcrum is a point or pivot on which a lever rests and rotates.

2. What is clockwise rotation about a fulcrum?

Clockwise rotation about a fulcrum is when an object rotates in a direction that follows the movement of a clock's hands, or in a clockwise direction.

3. What is counterclockwise rotation about a fulcrum?

Counterclockwise rotation about a fulcrum is when an object rotates in a direction opposite to the movement of a clock's hands, or in a counterclockwise direction.

4. How is the direction of rotation determined?

The direction of rotation is determined by the direction in which the force is applied to the lever. If the force is applied in a clockwise direction, the rotation will also be clockwise, and vice versa.

5. Can the direction of rotation be changed?

Yes, the direction of rotation can be changed by applying force in the opposite direction. For example, if the force is initially applied in a clockwise direction, it can be changed to counterclockwise by applying force in the counterclockwise direction.