Crop Circles: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: I think it's more likely that the hoaxers just practiced a lot and got better at it over time.In summary, the magnetic particles found in the soil following the formation of a crop circle (not the hoaxes) can be explained by the presence of magnetite particles in the soil. The pre-hoax crop circles are crude and only roughly circular, and they have stalks tufted up in the centers. It is more likely that the hoaxers just practiced a lot and got better at it over time.
Physics news on Phys.org
Not since I saw the movie Signs.

Er... I mean... No, never.

cookiemonster

Sure I take them seriously. I spend HOURS making those things each weekend.

Come on guys. How do you explain the magnetic particles found in the soil following the formation of a crop circle (not the hoaxes)? How do you explain the fact that the crops are bent are exactly 90 degree angles? How do you explain the burns inside each blade of wheat? If people did it, then surely there wouldn't be magnetic particles in the soil. Crop cirlces are known to have been around since medieval times. Why would people keep making them for hundreds of years like this?

for fun, if its fun do it

COME ON people! Magnetic particles in the soil just don't appear out of no where you know.

Imparcticle said:
How do you explain the fact that the crops are bent are exactly 90 degree angles?

Hey, if the crops are first vertical, then bent horizontal, any other angle should be a real miracle.

Imparcticle said:
COME ON people! Magnetic particles in the soil just don't appear out of no where you know.
Almost all soil has a great deal of Fe304 (magnetite) particles in it. It would surprise me a lot if they didn't find any.

There is a long thread about crop circles in the skepticism and debunking forum. A crop circle researcher showed up and posted some great information about the history.

The pre-hoax crop circles are crude, only roughly circular, and they have stalks tufted up in the centers. This researcher, I think his name was J. Wilson, provided quite a a few historical eyewitness reports of people having seen this kind of crop circle made by common whirlwinds and dust devils. If they just touch down in one spot and rise again right away they leave one of these formations in the grass or cereal stalks. People who found the circles without having seen the whirlwinds make them were intrigued, of course, and speculated as to what caused them. I am completely satisfied that this explains the pre-hoax crops circles.

Apparently the first hoaxers were inspired by the stories of these mysteriously appearing circles and played around with making their own, just to be mischievous. The hoaxed ones have always been much more neat and geometrically refined.

It strikes me as unbelievable that some mystical force would step in and start imitating the hoaxed circles.

Last edited:

1. What are crop circles?

Crop circles are geometric patterns that appear in fields of crops, typically in the form of flattened areas of plants. They have been reported in various countries around the world and have been a subject of much debate and speculation.

2. Are crop circles man-made or created by extraterrestrial beings?

There is no definitive answer to this question. While some people believe that crop circles are the work of extraterrestrial beings or supernatural forces, the majority of scientists and researchers believe that they are man-made. There is evidence to suggest that many crop circles are created by humans, using simple tools and techniques.

3. How are crop circles made?

As mentioned, there is evidence to suggest that many crop circles are created by humans using simple tools and techniques. Some people claim to have witnessed the creation of crop circles by individuals or groups using wooden planks, ropes, and other basic tools to flatten the crops in a specific pattern. Others believe that crop circles are the result of natural phenomena such as whirlwinds or plasma vortices.

4. Why do people believe in the extraterrestrial origin of crop circles?

People who believe in the extraterrestrial origin of crop circles often point to the complex and intricate designs that appear overnight in fields, seemingly without any human intervention. They also cite reports of strange lights or objects in the sky above crop circle sites. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the theory that crop circles are created by extraterrestrial beings.

5. What is the scientific explanation for crop circles?

The most widely accepted scientific explanation for crop circles is that they are man-made. There is evidence to suggest that many crop circles are created by groups of people, often as a form of art or for entertainment. Other theories suggest that crop circles could be the result of natural phenomena, such as meteorological events or the movement of animals. However, more research is needed to fully understand the phenomenon of crop circles.