Determining Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5])

• Thread starter Beer w/Straw
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is finding the value of ArcSin[Sin(7π/5)] without using any additional identities. The solution is to find a value of x in the restricted domain of the sine function that produces the same result as Sin(7π/5). This value is -2π/5.
Beer w/Straw
The problem is... What to put as my answer :P arcsin(Sin(7Pi/5))

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TrigonometryAnglesPi5.html

The solution is -2Pi/5

The problem I'm having is this appears to me as a trick question. Would it be acceptable to say

sin(7pi/5) = -(sqrt(5/8+sqrt(5)/8)) make a note of an identity. Then simply say arcsin(-(sqrt(5/8+sqrt(5)/8))) =-2Pi/5?

Assuming this is correct, would not all the work I just cut out be acceptable because I'm not trying to prove the identity over again?

Comments suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for lack of tex.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you need to look at where the arcsin is defined.

This is much easier than you are making it. There is no reason to even think about the actual value of sin(7pi/5). As Hogger suggested, think about the definition of "arcsin". The only "tricky" point is getting the correct range for the answer. 7pi/5 itself is larger than pi. What's wrong with that?

I don't understand, am I missing an identity somewhere?

ArcSin[7Pi/5] is imaginary

Sin[7Pi/5] is not

And ArcSin[Sin[7Pi/5]] is not imaginary.

You are not asked to find arcsin(7pi/5).

If x is in the domain of the Sin function (which has a restricted domain, unlike the sin function), then ArcSin(Sin(x)) = x. 7pi/5 is not in the domain of the Sin function, so what you need to do is find a value of x in this restricted domain for which Sin(x) = sin(7pi/5).

Mark44, you mean "You are not being asked to find sin(7pi/5) don't you?

No, I was responding to something Beer w/Straw wrote in post 4:
I don't understand, am I missing an identity somewhere?
ArcSin[7Pi/5] is imaginary

Well the definition ArcSin[Sinx]=x where -Pi/2=<x=<Pi/2 ...

But it equals -x ...

sin(7π/5), being sin (π + α) = - sinα and - sinα = sin(-α)

So, just slap a minus sign infront of 2Pi/5?

You're looking at the wrong identity. The sine function is symmetric about the line x = π/2. This means that sin(π/2 + a) = sin(π/2 - a). Find a value of x in [-π/2, π/2] such that sin(x) = sin(7π/5).

1. What is the process for determining Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5])?

The process for determining Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]) is to first convert the angle 7Pi/5 into radians, which is approximately 2.513 radians. Then, use the inverse sine function (arcsine) to find the angle whose sine is 2.513. This angle will be between -Pi/2 and Pi/2. Finally, check if the angle falls in the 4th or 3rd quadrant and add 2Pi or Pi respectively to get the final answer.

2. Can Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]) be simplified?

Yes, Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]) can be simplified. By using the identity arcsin(sin(x)) = x + 2Pi*n or Pi - x + 2Pi*n, where n is an integer, we can simplify Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]) to 7Pi/5 + 2Pi*n or Pi - 7Pi/5 + 2Pi*n, which are equivalent answers.

3. What is the range of values for Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5])?

The range of values for Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]) is between -Pi/2 and Pi/2, since the inverse sine function only outputs values between -Pi/2 and Pi/2.

4. Can you use a calculator to determine Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5])?

Yes, you can use a calculator to determine Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]). Most scientific calculators have an inverse sine function, usually denoted as "sin^-1" or "arcsin". Simply enter the value of Sin[7Pi/5] and press the inverse sine button to get the answer.

5. Are there any real-world applications for determining Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5])?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for determining Arcsin(Sin[7Pi/5]). One example is in physics, particularly in the study of waves and oscillations. The inverse sine function is used to find the angle of a wave's displacement from its equilibrium position. Another example is in navigation, where the inverse sine function is used to calculate the angle of elevation or depression of an object in relation to a fixed point.