Optimizing Solar Water Heater Efficiency for Pool Heating

In summary, the conversation discussed using Wolfram Alpha to solve a problem with a pool's temperature. The question was whether removing and heating a small amount of water and adding it back to the pool would raise the temperature. It was determined that temperature is linear in average energy, but heat transfer is not linear. It was suggested to constantly pump water through a solar heater for efficiency. It was also noted that the higher the pool's temperature gets, the faster it will cool down. A generalized heat transfer formula for water was suggested as a potential solution.
tomot
I thought Wolfram Alpha might be able to help me with this problem, however
so far I have had no luck, with the website nor their community:

I have a 1230 gal pool heated by the sun to 70 degrees F, If I remove 30 gal
and let the 30 gal be heated in my solar collector to 100 degree F, and then add it back to the pool.

What will my new pool temperature be?
Is this raise in temperature linear? meaning if continue to do this once every hour via a timer and a pump can I extrapolate how long it will take to raise the pool temperature to 80 degrees?

TIA!

Science news on Phys.org
Temperature is linear in average energy, so yes.
But, heat transfer [with the outside environment, rather than by direct mixing of enclosed fluids] is not linear. The solar heater will be more efficient if the water constantly pumps through it instead of overheating a smaller volume (and the pumping heats the water too). On the other hand, heat sinking pipes could reverse this. Also, the higher the pool temperature gets, the faster it will be cooling.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply! I presume then that I really need to look for is a generalized heat transfer formula for water, if there is such a thing?

1. What is a solar water heater?

A solar water heater is a system that uses energy from the sun to heat water for domestic or commercial use. It typically consists of solar panels, a storage tank, and a circulation pump.

2. How does a solar water heater work?

A solar water heater works by using solar panels to collect and absorb sunlight. The collected energy is then transferred to a heat transfer fluid, which circulates through a heat exchanger and heats up the water in the storage tank. The heated water can then be used for various purposes.

3. What are the common problems with solar water heaters?

The most common problems with solar water heaters include leaks, malfunctioning pumps or valves, and build-up of mineral deposits in the system. These issues can affect the efficiency and performance of the system and may require professional maintenance or repairs.

4. How can I troubleshoot a solar water heater problem?

If you are experiencing issues with your solar water heater, you can start by checking for any visible leaks or obstructions in the system. You should also make sure that the system is getting enough sunlight and that all components are functioning properly. If you are unable to identify or fix the problem, it is best to contact a professional for assistance.

5. Are solar water heaters worth the investment?

The answer to this question depends on various factors, including your location, energy usage, and the cost of the system. In general, solar water heaters can provide long-term cost savings on energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint. However, it is important to consider your individual circumstances before making a decision.