Reactivity with Water: Arrange 1-6 (Allyl Halide to Tertiary Alkyl Halide)

In summary, the compounds in order of stability with water are primary aryl halide, tertiary alkyl halide, allyl halide, and RMgX. The more stable the carbocation, the more likely it is for it to form, thus making the reaction more...reactive?
leena19

Homework Statement

Arrange the following compounds inorder of increasing reactivity with water,

1.allyl halide
2.primary aryl halide
3.RMgX
4.acidanhydride
5.aliphatic acid chloride
6.tertiary alkyl halide

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought since water is a nucleophile, this would be a nucleophilic reaction,so the stronger the electrophilic nature of the organic compound,the faster would be its reaction,with water.

Am I correct to assume this?

I was told in another forum that I should start by arranging the compounds inorder of nucleophilic strength,so,

tertiary alkyl halide> allyl halide> I got as far as this but, now I don't know if acid anhydride is more nucleophilic than RCOCl,
I think it might be more nucleophilic,cause an acid anhydride has 2 carbonyl groups whereas an acid chloride has only 1,but I'm not very sure?

I don't know what I should do.

I know that all of the above compounds react with water (to some extent)based on my knowledge of their reactions with water(except acid anhydride,I haven't still learned any of its reactions),but,I'd like to know,
what exactly is the property that an organic compound should have,inorder to react with water?

Hope my problems clear.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your list consists of several general classes of compounds... organic halides (primary, allyl and tertiary ones), organic acids or their derivatives (anhydride and acid chloride) and a generalized Grignard reagent (RMgX). Investigate these three classes and determine their reactivity with water.

Thanks for replying.

Your list consists of several general classes of compounds... organic halides (primary, allyl and tertiary ones), organic acids or their derivatives (anhydride and acid chloride) and a generalized Grignard reagent (RMgX). Investigate these three classes and determine their reactivity with water.

Ok,so I went through my notes once again,and I think the grignard's reagent would react the fastest,cause it has two highly polar covalent bonds,next,
I think would be the acid derivatives,but I still can't figureout if an anhydride or an acid chloride would react faster.
An acid chloride has a carbonyl group and a chloride ion which is a good leaving group,so it incresaes the electrophilic nature of the carbon atom of the carbonyl group,but an acid anhydride has two carbonyl groups,so...
would an acid chloride be more prone to nucleophic attack than an acid anhydride?

THANK YOU

I would still like to know how to do this.
I'm hopeful someone could help me out ,here.
THANK YOU

Acid chloride is more prone to attack. The anhydride does have two C=O bonds, but the site of attack is the middle O atom.

queenofbabes said:
Acid chloride is more prone to attack. The anhydride does have two C=O bonds, but the site of attack is the middle O atom.

Right answer, wrong reason.

Consider that hydrolysis of acid chlorides and acid anhydrides is catalyzed by acid. Also consider that most acid anhydrides and acid chlorides are not appreciably soluble in water. Which class of compounds do you think would be more soluble in water (all things being equal, of course) and which would react more readily? Remember to consider the products of the reaction in your analysis as well.

Last edited:
Consider that hydrolysis of acid chlorides and acid anhydrides is catalyzed by acid
Really?
I haven't learned it like that,(but then I've learned only the reaction of acid chloride with water)
Acid chloride+H2O[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] RCOOH +HCl(is the HCl the catalyst you were referring to,i wonder?)

As for acid anhydride based on your hint to queenofbabes,I think we would get 2RCOOH,
if this were true the acids obtained in this hydrolysis would be weaker,so (once again if this reaction were true)this would mean an acid anhydide would be less reactive right?

Right. You should remember that acid derivatives (amides, esters, acid halides and anhydrides) all will hydrolyze and that all are catalyzed by acid. You should be able to find that info in your book...

Thank You so much,sir & I will try to remember that,
So,
for RMgX,how do I know how fast it reacts by looking at the reaction,
RMgX + H2O [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] RH + MgX,
is it cause it doesn't need a catalyst?,or is it cause of the highly polar bonds?

So far I have,inorder of reactivity,
RMgX > RCOCl > acid anhydride > ...
so for the rest,
allyl halide
primary aryl halide
tertiary alkyl halide,
I think after arranging it in increasing order of stability of carbocations,I get,
primary aryl halide > allyl halide > tertiary alkyl halide

Would this also be (reason?for)the increasing order of reactivity of the above 3 compounds?

THANK YOU

chemisttree said:
Right answer, wrong reason.

ohdear. You're right >.< My chemistry is abit rusty

The more stable the carbocation, the more likely it is for it to form, thus making the reaction more likely

1. What is the difference between an allyl halide and a tertiary alkyl halide?

An allyl halide is a type of halocarbon compound with a halogen atom attached to an allyl group, which is a carbon-carbon double bond and a single bond. A tertiary alkyl halide, on the other hand, has a halogen atom attached to a carbon atom that is bonded to three other carbon atoms. This means that tertiary alkyl halides have a higher degree of substitution and are generally more reactive compared to allyl halides.

2. How do allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides react with water?

Both allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides undergo hydrolysis in the presence of water. This means that the halogen atom is replaced by a hydroxyl group, resulting in the formation of an alcohol. However, tertiary alkyl halides are more reactive and undergo hydrolysis at a faster rate compared to allyl halides.

3. What factors affect the reactivity of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides with water?

The reactivity of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides with water is affected by several factors, including the nature of the halogen atom, the degree of substitution, and the steric hindrance around the halogen atom. For example, tertiary alkyl halides with more electronegative halogens (such as bromine) are more reactive than those with less electronegative halogens (such as fluorine).

4. What are the potential hazards associated with reactivity of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides with water?

The hydrolysis of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides with water can release toxic byproducts, such as hydrogen halide gas. These compounds are also highly flammable and may react violently with water, producing heat and potentially causing explosions. It is important to handle these compounds with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

5. How can the reactivity of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides be utilized in synthesis?

The reactivity of allyl halides and tertiary alkyl halides with water can be utilized in various organic synthesis reactions, such as substitution, elimination, and addition reactions. These reactions can be used to introduce functional groups or to modify existing functional groups in a molecule. Additionally, the hydrolysis of these compounds can also be used as a step in multi-step synthesis routes to produce more complex molecules.