The best textbooks in their subjects are ?

• Thread starter Atropos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the conversation is about the best textbooks for various math subjects, such as vector calculus, tensor calculus, ODE, PDE, real/complex analysis, and number theory. The speaker is seeking recommendations and opinions on which textbooks are the best in terms of ease of use, continuity of thought, logical progression, worked examples, number of typos, and broad mix of problems. They have done online research and are now seeking advice from the community on a forum for discussing science books.
Atropos
As this my first post, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. But textbooks are learning materials, so I think it's alright.
I enjoy learning new things in math, but textbooks are very expensive. I'd really hate to spend $100+ on a book, only find out that it isn't what I was looking for. So I do a lot of research online like reading customer reviews on amazon and related sites, wiki references, things like that. Then I thought 'Why not post a thread on Physics Forums?' Since this is a site for math and the sciences, there are bound to be people who have taken advanced math courses and have used enough books to know which ones work and which ones don't. So my question is this:
Which book(s) are the best (i.e. in terms of ease of use, continuity of thought, logical progression, worked examples, number of typos, broad mix of problems) in their subjects (i.e. vector calculus, tensor calculus, ODE, PDE, real/complex analysis, number theory)
I am particularly interested in real/complex analysis, ODE, and PDE as I am having the hardest time reseaching books for these subjects.
As to complex analysis, most of my reseach seems to suggest "Complex Variables: Introduction and Applications" by Ablowitz is an excellent textbook. Same thing for "Visual Complex Analysis" by Needham. For ODEs, some people say "Elementary DE and Boundary Value Problems" by Boyce is a good book. Some people say nope, unless I get the 8th Ed. Still others say to avoid it all together. And PDE is even worse. There seems to be a million books out there, and just as many opinions; each one is different.
Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A forum for discussing science books is available here: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Just use the search feature on this forum for whatever subject you're interested in, and you will find lots of recommendations by various people.

Indeed we do have a specific forum for discussing books. I have moved your thread there. You can report posts like these in future dx.

1. What makes a textbook the best in its subject?

The best textbooks are those that are well-researched, up-to-date, and provide clear and concise information on the subject. They should also have a logical and organized structure, engaging examples and activities, and helpful visual aids.

2. How can I determine if a textbook is the best for my needs?

In order to determine if a textbook is the best for your needs, you should consider your learning style, the level of difficulty, and the specific topics covered. You can also read reviews and seek recommendations from teachers and peers.

3. Are there any specific publishers known for producing the best textbooks?

While there are many reputable publishers that produce high-quality textbooks, it ultimately depends on the individual textbook and its author. Some popular publishers include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Oxford University Press.

4. Can a textbook be considered the best in its subject if it is not widely used?

The popularity of a textbook does not necessarily determine its quality. A textbook can still be considered the best in its subject if it effectively covers all necessary material and is highly recommended by experts in the field, even if it is not widely used.

5. How often should a textbook be updated to maintain its status as the best in its subject?

The frequency of updates for a textbook depends on the subject matter and how rapidly it is evolving. In general, textbooks should be updated every few years to ensure that the information is accurate and relevant.