Solving Brightness Equation with Procyon: 7L☉ and 11.41 light years

In summary, the equation for brightness (flux) for a star is B=7L☉/4π(11.41)₂. The answer turned out to be 0.004 L☉ watts per square light year.
vbillej
In a question is says that Brightness = Luminosity/4πr₂ (for a star).

Procyon = 7L☉ and 11.41 light years as distance.

the equation in B= 7L☉/ 4π(11.41)₂

the answer turned out to be 0.004 L☉ watts per square light year (its a textbook question). What i don't understand is what is 7L☉, what's its value. I read that L☉ is approx the suns luminosity so i did 7(3.839 × 10^26). but still getting the wrong answer.

Thanks

vbillej

Astronomy news on Phys.org
vbillej said:
In a question is says that Brightness = Luminosity/4πr₂ (for a star).

Procyon = 7L☉ and 11.41 light years as distance.

the equation in B= 7L☉/ 4π(11.41)₂

the answer turned out to be 0.004 L☉ watts per square light year (its a textbook question). What i don't understand is what is 7L☉, what's its value. I read that L☉ is approx the suns luminosity so i did 7(3.839 × 10^26). but still getting the wrong answer.

Thanks

vbillej

I don't exactly understand what the problem is.

I just don't get what 7L☉ is, i looked up L☉ but i still don't really understand how the answer was 0.004 L☉.

Like how would i put 7L☉ into a calculator.

L☉ is just a unit, specifically, the unit solar luminosity. Its value is defined to be the luminosity of the sun. You don't put 7L☉ into a calculator any more than you put 7 meters or 7 seconds into a calculator, you only calculate the numbers, the units are your responsibility.
The equation you mentioned has units of L☉/ly^2, which is exactly what you wanted, is it not?

vbillej said:
I just don't get what 7L☉ is, i looked up L☉ but i still don't really understand how the answer was 0.004 L☉.

Like how would i put 7L☉ into a calculator.

Read the answer carefully.
7 is the AMOUNT L is the UNITS. This means how luminous the object is compared to the currently accepted luminosity of our Sun. You are correct in your conversion from solar luminosity to just get the luminosity for the star but you don't need to do that.

The stars brightness or its flux is given by the equation:

[tex]f=\frac{L}{4\pi d^2}[/tex]

So you are given the stars luminosity and its distance plug that into the equation and you get appox. 0.00428092 (using google to calculate). Your units would be L Watts per squared light year... which is what is in the back of the textbook.

and I've noticed that while I was fixing some problems with my latexing Nabeshin had already answered you :P

Thanks guys, i found out that i put 7L☉/ 4π(11.41)₂ as a fraction in the calculator... -_- haha

thank your very much for your help

vbillej

1. What is the purpose of solving the brightness equation with Procyon?

The purpose of solving the brightness equation with Procyon is to calculate the apparent brightness of the star, which is the amount of light that is received from the star at a specific distance.

2. How is the brightness equation with Procyon calculated?

The brightness equation with Procyon is calculated by using the star's luminosity (7L☉) and its distance from Earth (11.41 light years). The equation uses the inverse square law, which states that the brightness of a source decreases by the square of its distance.

3. Why is Procyon used in the brightness equation?

Procyon is used in the brightness equation because it is a well-studied and relatively bright star. Its luminosity and distance from Earth can be accurately measured, making it a good candidate for solving the brightness equation.

4. What is the significance of the result from the brightness equation with Procyon?

The result from the brightness equation with Procyon provides valuable information about the star and its properties. It can help scientists understand the star's evolution, composition, and distance from Earth.

5. How does solving the brightness equation with Procyon contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By solving the brightness equation with Procyon, scientists can gain a better understanding of the nature of stars and how they behave. This can help us understand the larger picture of the universe and our place within it.