Physical Kick Drive - Does It Exist?

In summary, the conversation is about a drawing that the speaker is trying to explain and is asking for feedback on. They have several questions about the practicality and functionality of the device. There is also a discussion about the laws of motion and the conservation of energy. The conversation ends with someone suggesting that the animation will not work and the thread is locked.
ketamynx
Hello friends.

I simply couldn't find an easier way to explain what I'm looking for, so here's a drawing.

And my questions are:
1. Does something similar even exists, and how is it called?
2. With the proper masses/ratios/calculations/whatever & control system, is this device able to provide propulsion, at least in vacuum or whatever?

Thank you very much!
k.

Attachments

• question-01.jpg
    question-01.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 339
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ketamynx.
I must admit that, even with my reading glasses, I can't make out some of the text.
I see two immediate problems. One is that if the permanent magnet is spherical, as shown, it will merely flip over and be attracted to the electromagnet.
The other is that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to translate the lateral movement of the permanent magnet to a rotational one. At the least, it should be in a curved channel rather than a straight one.
As for the practicality of the device... I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

edit: I just took a closer look at the thing and realized something that I overlooked the first time. Your electromagnet and the containment tube for the permanent magnet seem to be mounted on the same structure. At first, I thought that they were separate. You would get an equal and opposite thrust imparted to the electromagnet as compared to the permanent one. No net result.

Last edited:
In the second diagram, the magnet will move left and the ball will move right. Then in the third, the ball will move left and the magnet will move right, bringing them back to where they started.

No, what is shown in the diagrma is not possible. It is an obvious violation of several physical laws including conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion.

To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction... This is why people don't actually fly off there feet when shot - the person doing the shooting would have to do the same.

daveg360 said:
To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction... This is why people don't actually fly off there feet when shot - the person doing the shooting would have to do the same.

Thanks, I can't believe I forgot the laws of movement.

But additionally, I have a few other wonders:
1. We fly a rocket, and at it's end we mount a huge rubber bag or whatever to get back all the burnt gas and carry it back, would this work practically or will it follow the same laws? And 2., say you're in total vacuum empty space. Can you turn around, or gain speed, or move anything without the aid of any external object, all by yourself?

Thanks and please be good to me, I'm here only to make my silly questions clear.

Hello, I'm back with an animation.

Please tell me if this can work and if it's worth making improvements.

Thanks,
ketamynx.

Attachments

• question-anim-01.gif
    question-anim-01.gif
    88.9 KB · Views: 436
ketamynx said:
Hello, I'm back with an animation.

Please tell me if this can work and if it's worth making improvements.
The law of conservation of energy has not been revoked since you last posted. You are wasting our time and yours. Thread locked.

1. What is a physical kick drive?

A physical kick drive is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of a propulsion system that could potentially enable a spacecraft to travel at speeds faster than the speed of light. It is also referred to as a "warp drive" or "hyperspace drive".

2. How does a physical kick drive work?

The exact mechanism of how a physical kick drive would work is still unknown and is currently only a theoretical concept. Some proposed theories involve manipulating spacetime to create a "warp bubble" that allows the spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of a physical kick drive?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a physical kick drive. The concept is purely theoretical and has not been tested or proven in any way.

4. Can a physical kick drive be built?

At this time, the technology and scientific understanding needed to build a physical kick drive do not exist. However, many scientists and researchers are actively studying and exploring the possibility of developing this technology in the future.

5. What are the potential implications of a physical kick drive?

If a physical kick drive were to be successfully developed and implemented, it could revolutionize space travel and open up the possibility of exploring distant parts of the universe that were previously unreachable. However, there are also ethical and safety concerns that would need to be addressed before such a technology could be used.