Moon-Earth distances and interactions

• Thread starter moon_sphinx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interactions
In summary, the person is seeking help in calculating the distance between Earth and moon, as well as understanding how other planets and the sun affect this system. They also want to know if this will help them determine the moon's movement away from Earth. They have found an article that explains part of the reason for the moon's movement, but they are unsure of where to start with the calculations and formulas needed for their computer program. They have a background in Physics and Computer Science, but lack the necessary subjects to fully understand this matter.
moon_sphinx
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the distance between Earth and moon and how the other planets and sun interfere in this system.

I would like to know how can I solve this. What equations should I use?

Will this also make me able to know how far the moon is "going away" from us?

Thank you

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but this article explains briefly part of the reason why the moon is 'moving away' from us.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/55066637.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,

I think I know how these interactions happen. I really don't know where to start doing the calculations...

I'm ending my course in Physics, but it isn't pure physics since it has a minor in Computer Science, so I don't have many of the subjects that could be of help with this matter.

I have to do a computer program that simulates the orbits and as time passes by the moon "getting away"...

My problem for now is not the programming part, but the calculations I have to do and formulas I have to put there...

Thanks

Last edited:

1. How far is the Moon from the Earth?

The average distance between the Moon and Earth is about 238,855 miles. However, the distance can vary due to the Moon’s elliptical orbit around the Earth.

2. What is the closest distance the Moon can get to Earth?

The closest the Moon can get to Earth is about 225,623 miles. This is known as perigee and occurs when the Moon is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit.

3. What is the farthest distance the Moon can get from Earth?

The farthest the Moon can get from Earth is about 252,088 miles. This is known as apogee and occurs when the Moon is at its farthest point from Earth in its orbit.

4. How does the Moon’s distance from Earth affect tides?

The Moon’s distance from Earth does have an impact on tides, but it is not the only factor. The Moon’s gravitational pull creates tides on Earth, and the closer it is, the stronger the pull and the higher the tides will be. However, the position of the Moon in relation to the Sun and Earth also plays a role in tides.

5. Can the Moon’s distance from Earth change?

Yes, the Moon’s distance from Earth can change due to its elliptical orbit. The Moon’s distance from Earth can vary by about 30,000 miles, depending on its position in its orbit. This change in distance can also affect the Moon’s appearance, making it appear larger or smaller in the sky.