Simplifying Negative Exponents: How to Add Fractions with Negative Exponents

In summary, the problem is that the person is trying to solve for x^5 + x^4 + x^2 and they are not using the correct power. They should have factoried out the x^2 and then added the other three terms together.
ckolin

Homework Statement

1/ 2^10 + 1/ 2^11 + 1/ 2^12 + 1 / 2^12 = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i am very confused with this problem as i thought that i would convert the 1/2^X numbers to 2^-X and then add the numbers together. The answer would be 1/2^45. and i know that isn't right. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
multiply the whole expression (2^12)/(2^12) = 1

then keep the denominator as 2^12 and simplfy the numerator

You can write this sum as 2-10 + 2-11 + 2-12 + 2-12. (Is the last one supposed to be the same as the third one?)

Now, factor 2-12 out of each term (or 2-13 if the last term is 1/213).

Exponents add when you are multiplying factors, not when you are adding terms, so for example, it is not true that 1/22 + 1/23 = 1/25. Think about it: on the left you have 1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8. On the right, you have 1/32, which is nowhere near 3/8.

Ok i understand that 1/ 2^10 = 2^-10. But with the factoring wouldn't you need to factor out 2^-10? Can you show me the step by step solution. The answer is supposed to be 1/ 2^9

ckolin said:
Ok i understand that 1/ 2^10 = 2^-10. But with the factoring wouldn't you need to factor out 2^-10? Can you show me the step by step solution. The answer is supposed to be 1/ 2^9

If you were going to factor the expression [tex]x^5 + x^4 + x^2[/tex], what would you factor out? The [tex]x^2[/tex], right? That's because it has the smallest exponent. So for your expression, you want to factor out the power with the smallest exponent, which is -12. You could also factor out [tex]2^{-10}[/tex], just like above you could factor out [tex]x^3[/tex] in my example, but it would leave you with fractions rather than whole numbers.

As an example, if you have [tex]4^{-2} - 4^{-4}[/tex], then our smallest exponent is -4 and we get:

[tex]4^{-2} - 4^{-4} = 4^{-4}[4^{-2-(-4)} - 4^{-4-(-4)}] = 4^{-4}[4^2 - 1] = 4^{-4}[15] = \frac{15}{4^4}[/tex]

The exponent subtraction works exactly the same way.

Actually, looking at this particular problem, there's an easier way to do it.

The last two terms you have are both [tex]\frac{1}{2^{12}}[/tex], so when you add them together, what do you get? What about when that's simplified? Will that work again?

((I'm leaving my other comment about the exponents because it's useful to know, even if it's not necessary for this problem))

What does it mean to add negative exponents?

When adding negative exponents, you are essentially simplifying a mathematical expression by combining the terms that have the same base but different exponents. This is done by following the rules of exponents, specifically the rule that states when multiplying terms with the same base, you can add their exponents.

How do I add negative exponents with the same base?

To add negative exponents with the same base, you simply add the exponents together and keep the base the same. For example, 3-2 + 3-4 would become 3-2-4 = 3-6.

What happens when I add a positive and negative exponent with the same base?

When adding a positive and negative exponent with the same base, the result will depend on which exponent is larger. If the positive exponent is larger, the result will be a positive exponent. If the negative exponent is larger, the result will be a negative exponent. For example, 32 + 3-4 would become 32-4 = 3-2.

Can I add negative exponents with different bases?

No, you cannot add negative exponents with different bases. In order to add or subtract exponents, the bases must be the same. If the bases are different, you must first rewrite the terms with the same base before adding or subtracting the exponents.

What are some real-world applications of adding negative exponents?

Adding negative exponents is commonly used in scientific calculations, such as in chemistry and physics, to simplify large or small numbers. It is also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest, where the exponent represents the number of compounding periods. Additionally, understanding how to add negative exponents is important for solving exponential equations and understanding exponential growth and decay.