Can a person slow down their free fall by pushing a heavy box?

In summary, the man should push the box downwards to maximize the energy lost to drag and then jump at the last moment to stop.
fk08
hello,

consider a man falling from a roof with a heavy box in his hands. what should he do with the box?

Physics news on Phys.org
fk08 said:
hello,

consider a man falling from a roof with a heavy box in his hands. what should he do with the box?

Hold it over his head!

Nahh... just kidding. I would push it downwards and thus accelerate myself upwards shortly before impact.

but why shortly before impact?

Because (assuming that the box has the same drag coefficient as the person) that will maximize the energy lost to drag. Of course, it will have to be a very tall building for drag to matter much.

consider that case without drag

DaleSpam said:
Then the timing does not matter.
I think timing does matter without considering drag.

Think of the extreme case: You are strong enough to give the box so much momentum downwards, that you stop falling just before impact. Applying the same momentum to the box at the begin of the fall will just make you fly higher and fall even deeper.

Good point. I think you are right, but I would have to work it out to be sure.

DaleSpam said:
Good point. I think you are right, but I would have to work it out to be sure.

Here a simulator (the box is just like rocket fuel):
http://lander.dunnbypaul.net/

to minimize the "imapact velocity" one should through the box downwards as late as possible. this can be easy shown with a velocity vs time diagram and considering, that v*t is constant.

ya..i think you should drop it as late as possible assuming you have enough strength in the end. I take it that you have nothing but the box, so once you come to stop momentarily after throwing, you should really make sure you don't fall long enough

You can exert a far larger force using your leg muscles than using your arm muscles. While in free fall, you should put your feet on the box and jump at the last moment.

It would be interesting to calculate the force that is needed to slow down the velocity to zero.

vibjwb said:
This may be helpful to you
http://mythbustersresults.com/episode17
This seems to be close to what are doing
Sure, humans are to weak. It is hard enough to jump off the ground with the massive Earth as support. Pushing down a box or even an elevator cabin might give you enough force to cancel out the gravitational acceleration for a moment, but you would need much more to achieve an upwards acceleration that would slow you down significantly.

1. How does the weight of the box affect its free fall velocity?

The weight of the box does not affect its free fall velocity. In free fall, all objects accelerate at the same rate regardless of their weight, due to the force of gravity being constant.

2. Can the box reach terminal velocity during free fall?

Yes, if the box is falling through a fluid such as air, it will eventually reach terminal velocity. This is the point at which the drag force of the fluid balances out the force of gravity, causing the object to fall at a constant speed.

3. How does air resistance affect the free fall of the box?

As mentioned, air resistance or drag force is a factor that can affect the free fall of the box. This force is dependent on the size, shape, and speed of the object and can slow down the acceleration of the box as it falls.

4. Can the box experience a net force of zero during free fall?

No, the box will always experience a net force of gravity pulling it downwards, unless it reaches terminal velocity. This is due to Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How can we calculate the free fall acceleration of the box?

The free fall acceleration of the box can be calculated using the formula a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This assumes that there is no air resistance affecting the object's fall. If air resistance is present, the acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (m*g)/m + k, where m is the mass of the object and k is the drag coefficient.