Separable Differential Equation (Perfect Derivative)

In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem that is similar to the one they did in class, but with a x^3 added to it. They need to find an integrating factor for second order linear equations.
scud0405

Homework Statement

[tex]-y + xy' = 0 [/tex] and y(2)=5

The Attempt at a Solution

This first part trips me up. I am supposed to find the perfect derivative, which is [tex](xy') = 0 [/tex] ? Is this legal, or does the -y not allow for that?

If that is correct, then I know that I integrate that, which gives me [tex] xy = c [/tex]

Then, to solve for c, I just plug in 2 and 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not exact. And your solution assuming that is wrong. But it is separable. Try that.

It's also linear. Have you studied integrating factors?

Oh, I understand! Just multiply by e^-x, so the problem looks like this:

[tex]-ye^-^x + xe^-^xy' = 0[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]xe^-^xy = c[/tex]

Correct?

I'm having trouble with the next problem also. The next problem is similar, but with a [tex]x^3[/tex] added to it. I can't think of any other way to do it other than by multiplying everything by e^-x and doing integration by parts to [tex]x^3e^-^x[/tex].Any tips for an easier way to do it?

Last edited:
No, your solution isn't correct. Your original equation

[tex] xy' - y = 0[/tex]

is not in the correct form to find the integrating factor. The coefficient of y' needs to be 1 so you need to divide by x before calculating the integrating factor. Also, as a side note, linear differential equations are typically written with the highest derivatives first much like polynomials, not that it matters that much.

Oh.. you're right.

It's not separable though, is it? When I try and separate it I cannot get the Ys on one side and the Xs on one side. Unless [tex]\frac{dy}{y} = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex] is the equation correctly separated.

remember that is [tex]\frac{1}{x}dx=\frac{1}{y}dy[/tex] You can integrate this.

As for the other method, do you know how to find an integrating factor for second order linear equations? It's generally not just multiply through by [tex]e^{-x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Right. But is that the equation correctly separated?

Yes but I believe the problem is asking you to find an integrating factor.

Okay, so if I divide by X, I get [tex]y' - \frac{y}{x} = 0 [/tex]

So the integrating factor would be -x? That can't be right because that just gives me what I started out with.

For y' + P(x)y = Q(x) the integrating factor is

[tex]R(x) = e^{\int P(x) dx}[/tex]

[tex]e^\int^-^1^/^x[/tex] = [tex]e^-^l^n^x[/tex] = -x. So this means I would multiply the whole problem by -x which gives me what I start out with.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes you are doing something wrong:

[tex]e^{- \ln(x)} = e^{\ln(x^{-1})}= x^{-1}[/tex]

Ahhh! Finally, it makes sense! Thanks!

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This means that the variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation, making it easier to solve.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you need to separate the variables and integrate both sides with respect to their respective variables. This will result in a general solution, which can then be used to find a particular solution by plugging in initial conditions.

3. What is a perfect derivative in a separable differential equation?

A perfect derivative in a separable differential equation refers to the situation where the derivative of one of the variables (usually y) can be written as a function of the other variable (usually x). This makes it possible to solve the equation by simply integrating both sides.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. This method only works for certain types of equations, such as separable differential equations. Other techniques, such as substitution and variation of parameters, are needed to solve different types of differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also commonly used in economics and finance to analyze growth and decay rates.