How Many Incredible Edible Eggs are too Many?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary: Are you serious about that? In summary, the conversation is about the amount of eggs the participants consume on a weekly basis. The original poster eats about eight eggs a week and is wondering if this is too much. They mention that the information about eggs and their health benefits is always changing. The conversation then turns to discussing different ways of cooking eggs, such as "hobo eggs" or "eggs in a basket." Some participants mention that they eat even more eggs per week and have no issues with their cholesterol. Others mention that it's important to consider the overall diet and not just focus on one food item. The conversation ends with someone claiming that eating eight eggs a week can damage a person's kidney, but this statement is met
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm eating, what I believe, is way to many eggs. On average, I eat about eight a week!

I'm wondering if this is too much. I'm a young, healthy guy, and in good physical shape, good BP and Cholesterol (at least before I started this egg binge.:rolleyes:)

What's the general consensus on eggs these days? Is it ok to eat eggs this regularly or should I watch? The story about eggs always changes. Sometimes there good for you, other times there not. Do any of the bio/med people on PF have any input?

I guess if some trustworthy PF people tell me to slow my egg consumption, I will. However, I may be addicted. I love eggs. Fried, Scambled, Sunny Side Up, Over Easy, Hard Boiled, Poached...:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I almost forgot:

Deviled!:devil::!)

Ever have "hobo eggs" ? Funny name. But good.

1 Take a piece of bread and lightly butter both sides.
2 Cut a hole in center of bread
3 Place in preheated skillet over med-low heat
4 when bread is almost ready to flip, crack an egg into the hole
5 flip and cook other side
6 eat your egg infused toast!

Sometimes I cook some peppers and onions in the pan first and then when they are 1/2 way done, start at step 1.

Saladsamurai said:

Sometimes I cook some peppers and onions in the pan first and then when they are 1/2 way done, start at step 1.

That sounds delicious!

Saladsamurai said:

Mmmmm... eggs in a basket. Probably so bad for you with the butter and all but sooo good.

Make sure not to cook the yolk through. Leave it runny, so you can mop it up with the toast. Mmmm! I used to go even more decadent and put a slice of sharp cheese on top after the first flip, and cover with a lid so that the cheese melts a little while the second side is cooking.

G01 said:
I'm eating, what I believe, is way to many eggs. On average, I eat about eight a week!

:confused:
You call that a lot?
I eat 6-9 per meal, and try to have them at least 4 or 5 times a week. Even when I was a little kid, I had at least a dozen per week. My cholesterol is fine.

Saladsamurai said:
Ever have "hobo eggs"?
My father made them for me, and I made them for my kids. Around here they're called Popeye eggs. We cut the hole with a drinking glass and fry the hole too. It's useful for mopping up the yolk.

Eight a week? You think that's a lot? That's such a small amount, you may actually not be getting enough.
Eat more eggs.

G01 said:
Wait, I almost forgot:

Deviled!:devil::!)
The mayo counts as a ninth egg.

I call the bread with egg, Holeindamiddles. They are pretty much standard fair at my cabin. If your Cholesterol is ok, then eat away.

Eight a week isn't bad. That's one a day and two on Sundays. Of course, you have to look at your entire dietary picture. For example, if eggs are your primary source of animal protein, there's not going to be any problem at all. But, if you're eating 8 eggs a week, each one served with a side of bacon and sausage and on toast slathered in butter, then have fried chicken for lunch and steak for dinner, you might run into some problems with high blood lipids or weight gain.

Generally, demonizing a particular food item is not sound nutritional advice; taking into account the entire diet of a person is much more important. Are you getting fruits and veggies every day, eating some whole grains, eating everything in reasonable portions?

Moonbear said:
Eight a week isn't bad. That's one a day and two on Sundays. Of course, you have to look at your entire dietary picture. For example, if eggs are your primary source of animal protein, there's not going to be any problem at all. But, if you're eating 8 eggs a week, each one served with a side of bacon and sausage and on toast slathered in butter, then have fried chicken for lunch and steak for dinner, you might run into some problems with high blood lipids or weight gain.

Generally, demonizing a particular food item is not sound nutritional advice; taking into account the entire diet of a person is much more important. Are you getting fruits and veggies every day, eating some whole grains, eating everything in reasonable portions?

Well, I wouldn't say I slather my toast in butter...:biggrin:

Really though, my diet otherwise isn't that bad. Most of my protein comes from chicken or fish (not fried) if not eggs. I eat lots of fruits veggies and carbs. I also get a good amount of exercise, I think. I usually eat my eggs with cheese though.

IAmVerySmart said:
If you eat 8 eggs a week, you will damage one of your kidneys very soon, you don't like just 2 eggs in 4 days, do you ?

Huh?

IAmVerySmart said:
If you eat 8 eggs a week, you will damage one of your kidneys very soon, you don't like just 2 eggs in 4 days, do you ?
I'm afraid you will need to post a link to the medical research that verifies egg consumption causes kidney damaage.

IAmVerySmart said:

After reading some of your posts, I have decided that your username leaves something to be desired :rolleyes:

Saladsamurai said:
After reading some of your posts, I have decided that your username leaves something to be desired :rolleyes:

And after reading your name I've come to realize that you probably are a samurai. The way you read my mind and post things before I do. Whats up with that?

@OP:

You should post your average consumption of different foods per day if you want to determine if your diet is healthy... hardly ever is eating one thing 'bad'.

IAmVerySmart said:
The other day when I went to see my doctor to diagnose my lipoma which I thought were cancerous lumps, she told me to restrain myself from eating too many eggs, seafoods as my kidneys were being calcified, which later turns into kidney stones easily. She also advised me to take more water than usual to help filter the kidneys.
I don't know a link, I trust her at least because she is a doctor but I can show you the hospital which I visited, if you wish.

Eating high amounts of protein can increase the risk of kidney stones in people predisposed to the condition... Diet plays a role in kidney stones but it's not the only contributing factor. This is a young, healthy and supposedly active man leads me to doubt that he will have problems with calcium or uric acid.

Sorry! said:
Eating high amounts of protein can increase the risk of kidney stones in people predisposed to the condition... Diet plays a role in kidney stones but it's not the only contributing factor. This is a young, healthy and supposedly active man leads me to doubt that he will have problems with calcium or uric acid.
Spot on Sorry! It's diets high in excess protein that can cause a problem, not eggs.

The other day when I went to see my doctor to diagnose my lipoma which I thought were cancerous lumps, she told me to restrain myself from eating too many eggs, seafoods as my kidneys were being calcified, which later turns into kidney stones easily. She also advised me to take more water than usual to help filter the kidneys.
I don't know a link, I trust her at least because she is a doctor but I can show you the hospital which I visited, if you wish.
How many is too many? Your doctor may be correct, but you're the one who decided 8 a week was too many.

Evo said:
Spot on Sorry! It's diets high in excess protein that can cause a problem, not eggs.

Evo, I also thought that this fact about excess protein only applied to those who already had problems with their kidneys?

seycyrus said:
Evo, I also thought that this fact about excess protein only applied to those who already had problems with their kidneys?
Long term ingestion of too much protein can place stress on the kidneys, but yes, it's not advisable for people already suffering from kidney problems. In other words, don't eat crazy diets with an excess of anything that your body can't use. Learn what your body needs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

Other than eggs and poultry, I don't eat much protein. I don't think I'm going to worry about it, as I trust all of you who posted advice.

And yes, for breakfast today: A scrambled egg with an English Muffin. :smile:

This is my average day:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, french toast and a couple of omelettes.

Lunch: An egg sandwich with some egg salad and caviar.

Dinner: Egg foo young with an egg roll and some egg nog.

Then I go Easter egg hunting.

1. How many eggs can I consume in a day?

The recommended daily intake of eggs is one to two eggs per day for a healthy adult. Consuming more than this amount may increase your risk of developing heart disease.

2. Can I eat eggs every day?

It is generally safe for most people to consume eggs every day, as long as they are part of a balanced and varied diet. However, it is important to consider your overall cholesterol and fat intake when incorporating eggs into your daily diet.

3. Is it safe to eat raw eggs?

Eating raw eggs can increase your risk of foodborne illness, as they may contain harmful bacteria such as Salmonella. It is recommended to cook eggs thoroughly before consumption to reduce this risk.

4. Is it okay to eat the whole egg, including the yolk?

Yes, it is perfectly safe to eat the whole egg, including the yolk. The yolk contains many important nutrients such as iron, vitamin D, and choline, which are essential for a healthy diet.

5. Can eating too many eggs cause high cholesterol?

Eggs contain cholesterol, but consuming them in moderation is unlikely to have a significant impact on your blood cholesterol levels. However, if you have a history of heart disease or high cholesterol, it is recommended to limit your egg intake and consult with your doctor for personalized dietary recommendations.