Divisibility of powers of primes

In summary, the idea is that if a prime is one of the eight possible forms given by 8q, 8q+2, 8q+4, 8q+6, 8q+8, 8q+10, 8q+12, 8q+14, 8q+16, it will be divisible by 8.
thomas430
Hi all,

so I was looking at Legendre symbols, and I saw that [tex]\left(\frac{2}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}{8}}[/tex].

How does one show that [tex]\frac{p^2-1}{8}[/tex] is always an integer? That is, how can we show that [tex]8 | p^2-1[/tex]?

Can a similar method be applied to show that [tex]24 | p^3-p[/tex]?

Thomas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ... I suggest you wiki the Legendre symbol to get a better idea of it ... also wiki the proof for the Second Supplement to the Law of Quadratic Reciprocity.

The idea is this, we know that even numbers are of the form 2n, and odd numbers 2n+1. We can extend this further by showing that 4n and 4n+2 are even numbers, while 4n+1 and 4n+3 are odd numbers (and the combination of 4n, 4n+1, 4n+2, 4n+3 represent the form of any number) ... this is all actually from the division algorithm which states that for any two integers a and b, both greater than 0, there exists another two integers q and r such that a=bq+r where r is less than b and greater than or equal to zero.

So, we can set our a to be a prime number, say p, and we let our b=8. This gives us the following possibilities:
p=8q
p=8q+1
p=8q+2
p=8q+3
p=8q+4
p=8q+5
p=8q+6
p=8q+7

If you look at those equations, you'll notice that 8q, 8q+2, 8q+4, and 8q+6 will give you even numbers, so they can't be odd primes. So you're left with 8q+1, 8q+3, 8q+5, and 8q+7
as the forms of odd numbers (and thus possibly odd primes).

Now, let's take a look at p^2-1 = (p+1)(p-1) where p is one of the possibilities mentioned above.
For:
p=8q+1, (p+1)(p-1) = (8q+2)(8q) = 8q(8q+2), since 8|8, 8|8q(8q+2), then 8|p
p=8q+3, (8q+4)(8q+2) = 8q(8q+2) + 4(8q+2) = 8q(8q+2) + 32q + 8, and if you look at that, all those terms are divisible by 8, so 8|p
You can do the same for the rest ... and you'll see that if a prime is of any of those forms, then it will be divisible by 8.

You might be able to use this method to show 24|(p^3-p), but it will be somewhat tedious ...

Bingk said:
You might be able to use this method to show 24|(p^3-p), but it will be somewhat tedious ...
It is not so tedious since 8|p^2 -1 ==> 8|p^3-p. Thus to prove 24|p^3-p we only have to further prove that 3|p(p-1)(p+1)!

To prove simply that [itex]8|p^2 - 1[/itex] is much easier than the proof given above. It's understood that p is odd. Therefore, both p + 1 and p - 1 are even. It's easy to see that, given two consecutive even numbers, one of them must be divisible by 4. It follows that the product (p + 1)(p - 1) is divisible by 8. But [itex]p^2 - 1 = (p + 1)(p - 1)[/itex], so [itex]p^2 - 1[/itex] is divisible by 8.

Petek

I meant it would be tedious the way I did it :) ... Referring to thomas430's question if a similar method could be used to prove it :)

Petek, that's great :) ... I didn't realize that LCM could be taken advantage of in that way :). In my defense, I was trying to explain how (p-1)/2 became (p^2-1)/8 (Legendre symbol stuff :))

Thanks to all of you for your discussion, you've helped a great deal!

Bingk and Petek, your proofs next to one another gave me great insight :-D

What is the definition of divisibility of powers of primes?

Divisibility of powers of primes refers to the property of an integer being evenly divisible by a certain power of a prime number. In other words, a number is divisible by a power of a prime if it can be divided by that prime a certain number of times without a remainder.

How can I determine if a number is divisible by a power of a prime?

To determine if a number is divisible by a power of a prime, you can use the division algorithm. Divide the number by the prime and if there is no remainder, divide the quotient by the prime again until there is a remainder. If the final remainder is 0, then the number is divisible by the power of that prime.

What is the relationship between prime numbers and divisibility of powers of primes?

Prime numbers are the building blocks of all other integers, and they have a unique property of being divisible only by 1 and themselves. This makes them useful in determining divisibility of powers of primes, as any number that is not a prime can be broken down into its prime factors.

How does divisibility of powers of primes relate to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of primes. This means that any number that is divisible by a power of a prime can be expressed as the product of that prime raised to a certain power, along with other prime factors.

Can divisibility of powers of primes be used in cryptography?

Yes, divisibility of powers of primes plays a crucial role in number theory and is used in various cryptographic algorithms. For example, the RSA algorithm uses the difficulty of factoring large numbers into their prime factors to ensure the security of encrypted data.