Slumdog Millioraire - How close is it to

• Thread starter Equate
  • Start date
In summary, "Slumdog Millioraire" is not indicative of the sentiments in India, as the caste system is still alive and well in the present day.
Equate
"Slumdog Millioraire" - How close is it to

real life in India? Is this it?

Does it, the movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/" depict the sentiments in India?

I know there are quite a few Indian people frequenting this board, so please chime in and clarify some issues I have.

- How prevalent is the caste system nowadays? I saw "Slumdog Millioraire" for the first time yesterday, and quite frankly, I was shocked.

I gather there is not much respect amongst Indian peoples of different "classes", disrespect seems to be a "given". Where does India "fit in" in our, oh so "developed society" nowadays?

I'm at a loss here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Equate said:
real life in India? Is this it?

Does it, the movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/" depict the sentiments in India?

I know there are quite a few Indian people frequenting this board, so please chime in and clarify some issues I have.

- How prevalent is the caste system nowadays?

I saw "Slumdog Millioraire" for the first time yesterday, and quite frankly, I was shocked.

I gather there is not much respect amongst Indian peoples of different "classes", disrespect seems to be a "given". Where does India "fit in" in our, oh so "developed society" nowadays?

I'm at a loss here.

I have a friend who is a female Indian. She says the movie portrays some parts of India very well. Of course there are always going to be those other areas where these cultural values are 'less' prevelant but the way she made it sound for the most part it is true.

The caste system is also still used she explained it to me. Her family is a bit more relaxed about it though (they live in Canada) as her current boyfriend is from a lower ranking caste (hers is actually one of the highest). She says her family will probably care when they find out but she doesn't think they will force her to do anything based on her 'status'. If anything it would be based on other factors.

Rent the "Namesake" and "Bride and Prejudice" :)

How close is it to

No one knows...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Rent the "Namesake" and "Bride and Prejudice" :)
Was that a typo? Do you mean "Pride and Prejudice"?

I haven't seen the movie in question. However, Indian casting is alive an well in America among Indians, by the way. The subliminal body language is stark if you have had a chance to take notice. High caste Indians as young as 30 in the US have been taught their innate superiority as children and it sticks. My database consists of 6 high caste individuals; 6 out of 6 displaying internalized beliefs of superiority.

Amazing things happen if you attempt to shake hands with such individuals. They undergo some awesome culture clashing that dances behind their eyes. More than once, my automatic reactions of respect have caused internal alarm. In my ignorance I left one poor fellow disjoint for weeks, soul searching his role as an Indian in America. This English tradition is fundamentally at odds with Indian tradition where the higher castes are contaminated by bodily contact with us low-lifers, requiring bodily and spiritual cleansing.

Last edited:

Phrak said:
Was that a typo? Do you mean "Pride and Prejudice"?

it's an awesome bollywood movie I saw in toronto last winter :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
it's an awesome bollywood movie I saw in toronto last winter :biggrin:

Do you think this movie is indicative of a caste revolution in India akin to the sexual or racial revolutions in America?

I'm from India (lived there for 10 years), and I can tell you that the caste system is close to non-existent in the developed cities. In fact, in my 10 years there, I've never met a person expressing such sentiments.

Last edited:

I live in Chennai, India, and I can safely state that the caste system is still well and alive in the present day.

I myself am supposed to belong to a family of a higher caste, and I have seen my own family members talk about inter-caste marriages as if it were a crime. Even inter-caste marriages between higher castes is looked down upon. However, it really depends on who you choose to associate with. I have met many people who have no such feelings or sentiments, and most of them were the educated affluent, but I have seen exceptions on both sides.

However, I have hardly seen the caste system affect anyone in normal life, at least in the part of society I am familiar with. I am 19, in my first year of college, and I have never seen caste as an issue in any incident in all my years of schooling. Among my generation, and I speak for those who are somewhat well off and educated, the caste system is nearly dead.

I really cannot speak for the whole of India however, the caste system is still taken very seriously by large parts of the population I suppose, as politicians here tend to win elections using caste-based vote bank politics, There is also a caste-based quota system in existence for appointment to government jobs, and for admission to state run higher educational institutions.

The stupid system is still very much in place, alive & still raring because of some stupid a** politicians who manipulate the uneducated masses of India.

Well really its not they who started it. Caste system existed in India forever as i far as i know. It is supposed to originate from the god books(like you guys have bible & those things), it says that the god is divided into 4 parts, head hands torso & legs, & so follows the hierarchy of caste system in same order.

More that region, religion, color, language, sex, India is divided on caste basis. there are just innumerable sub categories. People don't marry in different caste, don't intermingle with them, heck don't even want to have them as neighbours(be it any caste). ehh. talk about interracial stuff;))

Pretty bad as it already was, government was like, ehh. we are the politiicians! how can the caste system be worse than us, so let's manipulate it. So the country got its reservation practices based on caste. So called lower castes were categorised in Scheduled caste/ scheduled tribe & other backward castes(OBCs) and as of now, the complete government structure has full fledged army of working class of people who were not competent enough but were given access because of being from the lower caste. Now they would say"err. it would uplift them". And what has happened in last 40-45 years? more & more people demand that their caste gets recognised as SC,ST or OBCs so that they too can avail the *advantages*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Gurjar_unrest_in_Rajasthan
what can be more funny & sad?

That being said, yes the educated class does show some reluctance to accept caste system, they do seem to be moving, BUT it is still there, alive.

Riches & poor equally enjoy the goodies of the flawed system. Until & unless we get a very strong personality at the top, the entire system is doomed to go down, sooner or later

Different people have different prejudices. Racism was "officially" prevalent in America a few tens of years before. I still don't think inter-racial marriages are very common there. When i read about Eugenics and how the apparently civilized, educated and wise men like Bernard Shaw supported it, i really think whether such disgusting practices are confined to India and other such stereotyped countries.
Indian civilization is thousands of years old and the caste system wouldn't die without a fight before another set of "decent" prejudices and "widely accepted beliefs" take over.

And slumdog is a film that was aimed to give the people around the world-including the Oscar judges- the message that what they think about India is absolutely right.. A single person gets affected by all the problems and embarrassments of a nation within these 23 years (or 2 hours). Nothing should be missed, the filmmakers decided. From the sh*t-dwelling people to the BPOs..
I am assuring you that there many beautiful people here; like me :)

sganesh88 said:
Different people have different prejudices. Racism was "officially" prevalent in America a few tens of years before. I still don't think inter-racial marriages are very common there. When i read about Eugenics and how the apparently civilized, educated and wise men like Bernard Shaw supported it, i really think whether such disgusting practices are confined to India and other such stereotyped countries.
Indian civilization is thousands of years old and the caste system wouldn't die without a fight before another set of "decent" prejudices and "widely accepted beliefs" take over.

No, inter-racial racial relationshipshttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18090277/" . Our President is the product of such a union.

Eugenics hasn't been an accepted dogma for...maybe 90 years? In American culture, that's an eternity. I bet the majority of Americans don't even know what it is.

Eugenics "was" widely accepted.. Not now.
And do you really think no white in America has any reluctance in marrying a black? Truth please. What i am trying to say is that people irrespective of their nationality tend to stick to some belief and hold onto it. Laws and rulings can't change mindsets.

sganesh88 said:

Nothing is perfect. There are many movies that addressed the racism issue in America so I think there is nothing wrong with the "Slumdog" movie itself. But then people who don't know much about other cultures/the world shouldn't watch these kind of movies. Something like Indians developing conclusions about America and American culture based on what they saw in one movie.

rootX said:
Nothing is perfect. There are many movies that addressed the racism issue in America so I think there is nothing wrong with the "Slumdog" movie itself. But then people who don't know much about other cultures/the world shouldn't watch these kind of movies. Something like Indians developing conclusions about America and American culture based on what they saw in one movie.
The thing that differentiates the two cases is that slumdog movie wasn't taken by an Indian nor was it taken by a foreigner who did some thorough research on the related problems by being in India for several years. I would be happy if someone would prove my claim wrong.

sganesh88 said:
The thing that differentiates the two cases is that slumdog movie wasn't taken by an Indian nor was it taken by a foreigner who did some thorough research on the related problems by being in India for several years. I would be happy if someone would prove my claim wrong.

Are you saying that they just made up some of the issues that do not exist in India?

rootX said:
Are you saying that they just made up some of the issues that do not exist in India?
I can take a love story of two Americans. I have never been there. It would suck. That doesn't mean there is no love in the US right?
Filming is not about portraying something. Its about how you portray it.

sganesh88 said:
I can take a love story of two Americans. I have never been there. It would suck. That doesn't mean there is no love in the US right?
Filming is not about portraying something. Its about how you portray it.

I understand what you are trying to say. I agree that an Indian (who knows more about his/her culture than that he/she is an Indian) or a foreigner who have done extensive research on Indian culture would have portrayed the culture/issues in different fashion.

sganesh88 said:
Eugenics "was" widely accepted.. Not now.
And do you really think no white in America has any reluctance in marrying a black? Truth please. What i am trying to say is that people irrespective of their nationality tend to stick to some belief and hold onto it. Laws and rulings can't change mindsets.

I agree with you that you can't change culture by laws; that's pretty self evident to anyone who knows anything about human beings.

The way you worded your comment about interracial marriage...well of course there is at least one white person in America who would be reluctant to marry a black person - that's a straw man argument. Logic, please.

The fact is indisputable: interracial marriage is very common in America (as it is in much of Western culture), and if anything it's increasing in frequency.

I understand what you are trying to say. I agree that an Indian (who knows more about his/her culture than that he/she is an Indian) or a foreigner who have done extensive research on Indian culture would have portrayed the culture in different fashion and displayed the issues in a better way.

Exactly. This was meant to be a hit worldwide. Like 2012. So discussing the contents of this film is like discussing whether the world's really going to end in 2012 after watching the film 2012.

The fact is indisputable: interracial marriage is very common in America (as it is in much of Western culture), and if anything it's increasing in frequency.
i wouldn't call 7 percent as "very common". From the initial 2 percent, its a decent improvement.
well of course there is at least one white person in America who would be reluctant to marry a black person
I wish other Americans would comment on whether there is a wide spread approval and open mindedness regarding inter-racial marriage in the US.

This is not an India vs US debate. Frankly i don't consider myself an ardent Indian and all that. I just want to say that a majority of people in the world hold onto one belief system or the other. Settling themselves into one group and defending the "purity" of that group(based on color, nation, status, power,height, sex or whatever).

I would be happy if someone would prove my claim wrong.

what is your claim? I would be more than happy to discuss.

The point of this thread is not to defame india, it is to know if the situation exists or not. Yes US & other western developed countries had their share of taboos & bad things, there is no denying to it. But here in India, it is still continuing, & is continuing very strongly.

Yes there are a ton of beautiful places in India, a lot of awesome things are there. I live in New delhi, in one of the most developed and clean part of the city, with all the comforts of life. But that doesn't give you the full picture, does it?

Situation is pretty bad, poverty, poor level of education, casteism, racism, regionalism(sure you know about the bombay thing, don't u?), situation IS uniquely bad.

Equate said:
Unfortunately there are about 329,000 Google hits for Bride and Prejudice :frown: http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Bride+and+Prejudice

Jane Austen turns over in her grave, poor soul...

Um... Bride and Prejudice is a real movie (and quite a good one IMHO). It's a holly/bollywood take on Jane Austen and a musical and was what the poster was referring to. It stars Aishwarya Rai (who is apparently one of the most "powerful" people in the world) and Alexis Bledel and Naveen Andrews amongst others and was directed by Gurinder Chadha of "Bend it like Beckham" fame. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361411/

ank_gl said:
That Danny Boyle didn't do enough research to portray the problems of India. Of course its his right. But he should have thought that such a film will induce people to form opinions about India.

Yes US & other western developed countries had their share of taboos & bad things, there is no denying to it.
This is where we differ. I think the oh-so civilized people of the US and other developed countries also have their own share of prejudices. Its inevitable. Even the apparently elite people living in New Delhi have. Because of the huge population and relatively poor economy, the prejudices in India are more visible.

situation IS uniquely bad.
Its not. It has been like this for the past several thousand years. Do you think all those who lived then hated their lives every single day and died happily? People adapt. Life finds its way. Those poor children have moments of true happiness and laughter that the apparently decent well-educated corporate guys miss or ignore..There is no absolute standard for life. We construct an imaginary standard and feel they will suffer throughout their lives.

ank_gl said:

The point of this thread is not to defame india, it is to know if the situation exists or not. Yes US & other western developed countries had their share of taboos & bad things, there is no denying to it. But here in India, it is still continuing, & is continuing very strongly.

Yes there are a ton of beautiful places in India, a lot of awesome things are there. I live in New delhi, in one of the most developed and clean part of the city, with all the comforts of life. But that doesn't give you the full picture, does it?

Situation is pretty bad, poverty, poor level of education, casteism, racism, regionalism(sure you know about the bombay thing, don't u?), situation IS uniquely bad.

I've always been completely charmed by India, and I'd love so much to visit someday. I know it has problems (what place doesn't? there is no heaven on Earth), but although its problems may be uniquely bad, it is uniquely good in many other ways as well, I bet.

Someday I'll visit, if I'm lucky :smile:.

sganesh88 said:
[separate post]
That Danny Boyle didn't do enough research to portray the problems of India. Of course its his right. But he should have thought that such a film will induce people to form opinions about India.
It sounds like you are saying the movie was made by a foreigner who didn't know what they were talking about. That's just wrong: the movie is based on a book written by an Indian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog_Millionaire

Boyle wasn't making the movie from scratch, he was simply adapting a book! The research wasn't his to do!

Of course we know it was only a movie and a fiction movie at that, not a documentary. But that doesn't automatically make it an inaccurate portrayal. It's certainly a legitimate question.

That's just wrong: the movie is based on a book written by an Indian
Reading a book makes Danny Boyle completely knowledgeable of the problems of India? And that book was also a fiction(named Q & A by Vikas Swarup) and not a commentary by some social researcher on these issues.

But that doesn't automatically make it an inaccurate portrayal.
The problem is Danny was intent on showing *all* the problems within the two hours.. If you say it was completely coincidental rather than deliberate, then off i go!

lisab said:
I've always been completely charmed by India, and I'd love so much to visit someday.
Off the top of my head, two places it excels:

India is virtually unequaled in the beauty of its fashions and clothing. I would wish to to be Indian just so I could wear those beautiful things.

And the people themselves can be astoundingly, shockingly beautiful.

DaveC426913 said:

India is virtually unequaled in the beauty of its fashions and clothing. I would wish to to be Indian just so I could wear those beautiful things.

I totally agree! And the natural landscape...and then the food...ahhhhh :!)!

Still i am single. Well that i'd confess is the unique problem of India. Guys find it very difficult to "correct" a girl. That's the term we use. It means "impress" and not anything else. :D

DaveC426913 said:

See Aishwarya Rai

lisab said:
I totally agree! And the natural landscape...and then the food...ahhhhh :!)!

OK, sorry, Can't go with you on the food...

maverick_starstrider said:
See Aishwarya Rai
I've seen her. I've seen many of the more popular Bollywood flicks that have made it to the West.

But I don't just mean the women.

In general, I am virtually blind to ostensibly good-looking men, but even I would bear http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0707983/" 's children. :biggrin: