What is the variation of parameter method for solving differential equations?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the solution to the equation (D^2 + 2D + 1)y = ln(x)/(xe^x) using integration by parts. The solution was found to be y = xe^(-x)[1 - ln(x) + (1/2)(ln(x))^2 + A/x + B]. The constant '1' was found to be unnecessary and could be merged with the constant B. The question of a "Thank" button on the forum was also mentioned, but it was stated that there is no such button.
jbord39

Homework Statement

(D^2 + 2D + 1)y = ln(x)/(xe^x)

Homework Equations

D = d/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the roots of the left side of the equation, -1 of multiplicity 2.
This leads to
y(c) = Ae^(-x) + Bxe^(-x)

Substituting A and B with a' and b' and dividing both sides by e^(-x) I find the two equations:

-a' + (1-x)b' = ln(x)/x
a' + xb' = 0

Which leads to a' = -ln(x) and b' = ln(x)/x

Integrating by parts leads to:

a = x(1-ln(x))
b = (1/2)[ln(x)]^2

Which leads to

y(p) = ae^(-x) + bxe^(-x)
= xe^(-x)[1-ln(x) + (1/2)(ln(x))^2]

So y = xe^(-x)[1 - ln(x) + (1/2)(ln(x))^2 + A/x + B]

Does this seem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It matches what I get. You might notice that the '1' doesn't need to be there, you could just merge it into the constant B.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I am new to these forums and wondering if there is a "Thank" button or anything like I've seen on other similar forums.

jbord39 said:
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I am new to these forums and wondering if there is a "Thank" button or anything like I've seen on other similar forums.

Not that I know of. But thanks for looking for it.

1. What is the variation of parameter method?

The variation of parameter method is a technique used in differential equations to find a particular solution by assuming that the solution is a linear combination of known functions.

2. When is the variation of parameter method used?

This method is typically used when the differential equation is non-homogeneous and the coefficients are non-constant.

3. How does the variation of parameter method work?

The method involves substituting the assumed solution into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients using the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. What are the advantages of using the variation of parameter method?

One advantage is that it can be used for a wide range of functions, unlike other methods which may only work for specific types of functions. Additionally, it does not require the differential equation to be in a specific form.

5. Are there any limitations of the variation of parameter method?

The method may not work for all types of non-homogeneous differential equations, and the calculations can become complex for higher order equations. It also does not provide a general solution, but rather a particular solution.