Partial Derivative Homework: y'''+ty''+y'+y'=0

In summary, a partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. The notation y''' represents the third partial derivative of a function, indicating that the function is being differentiated three times with respect to one of its variables. To solve for y in an equation, techniques from differential equations can be used, such as rearranging the equation and using integration. The variable to take the partial derivative with respect to is specified in the subscript of the derivative notation. The equation y'''+ty''+y'+y'=0 is a third-order linear homogeneous differential equation commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with multiple variables and their rates of change.
chrisdk

Homework Statement

Differentiate:

[tex]y'''+ty''+y'+y'=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use this definition:

[tex](y')'=y''[/tex]

I'd be thankful, if somebody could show me the rules of differentiating y'.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it. (y')'=y'', (y'')'=y'''. Etc. Don't forget to use the product rule on ty''.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe how a function changes when one of its variables is varied while holding the other variables constant. It measures the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables.

2. What does the notation y''' represent in this equation?

The notation y''' represents the third partial derivative of the function y. This means that the function is being differentiated three times with respect to one of its variables.

3. How do I solve for y in this equation?

To solve for y in this equation, you can use techniques from differential equations. First, rearrange the equation so that all terms involving y and its derivatives are on one side and all other terms are on the other side. Then, use integration to solve for y.

4. How do I know which variable to take the partial derivative with respect to?

In this equation, the variable that you are taking the partial derivative with respect to is specified in the subscript of the derivative notation. For example, y' denotes the first partial derivative with respect to y, and y'' denotes the second partial derivative with respect to y.

5. What is the significance of the equation y'''+ty''+y'+y'=0?

This equation is a third-order linear homogeneous differential equation, which means that it can be solved using methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with multiple variables and their rates of change.