Exploring the Physics Behind Finger Tapping Violin Strings

In summary, a harmonic is when a string vibrates at multiple frequencies and this can be helpful when playing certain notes.
Moose352
I play the violin, and I recently figured out that if I very gently touch my finger on a string, it produces a higher integer multiple of the frequency if I were to hold my finger down all the way. How does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called a harmonic. When a string vibrates, it vibrates at all integer multiples of its natural frequency, and these multiples are called harmonics. When you lightly press the string, rather than changing the length of the string, you are merely suppressing the harmonics that would have that part of the string move.

For example, take the G string. Its fundamental is a low G, it's first harmonic is a middle G (twice the frequency), its third harmonic is a high D (three times), then a high G, B, D, and so on.

Now, if you lightly touch the string at the one-third point (or the two-thirds point), that is where you'd put your finger to play a middle D, then you prevent all the harmonics that would move the one-third point. In particular, this leaves you with every third harmonic. In this case, the lowest frequency you get is a high D, and you get all the harmonics of the high D.

Moose352 said:
I play the violin, and I recently figured out that if I very gently touch my finger on a string, it produces a higher integer multiple of the frequency if I were to hold my finger down all the way.
This way of playing has a name: Flageolett. Also used on other string instruments.

It's not like I play the violin or something, I heard this expression in a physics lesson :rolleyes:

Hurkyl said:
It's called a harmonic. When a string vibrates, it vibrates at all integer multiples of its natural frequency, and these multiples are called harmonics. When you lightly press the string, rather than changing the length of the string, you are merely suppressing the harmonics that would have that part of the string move.

It is the same for all stringed instruments. Harmonics apply to all of these. Harmonics also apply in differnet ways on all insturments but that is another thread.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is the physics behind finger tapping violin strings?

The physics behind finger tapping violin strings involves the principles of sound and vibrations. When a finger taps a string, it creates a disturbance in the string, causing it to vibrate. This vibration creates a sound wave, which travels through the air and reaches our ears, allowing us to hear the sound produced by the violin.

2. How does the length of the string affect the sound produced by finger tapping?

The length of the string affects the pitch of the sound produced by finger tapping. Longer strings produce lower pitches while shorter strings produce higher pitches. This is because longer strings have a slower vibration rate, resulting in a lower frequency sound, while shorter strings have a faster vibration rate, resulting in a higher frequency sound.

3. What role does tension play in finger tapping violin strings?

Tension is a crucial factor in finger tapping violin strings. The tighter the string is, the higher the frequency of the sound produced. This is because a tighter string has a faster vibration rate, resulting in a higher pitch sound. On the other hand, a looser string will have a slower vibration rate and produce a lower pitch sound.

4. How do different finger tapping techniques affect the sound produced?

Different finger tapping techniques, such as tapping with one finger or multiple fingers, can affect the sound produced by changing the intensity and speed of the vibrations in the string. Tapping with multiple fingers can create a more complex sound with a faster vibration rate, while tapping with one finger can produce a simpler sound with a slower vibration rate.

5. Can finger tapping produce harmonics on a violin string?

Yes, finger tapping can produce harmonics on a violin string. Harmonics are created when a string is divided into equal parts by lightly touching it at specific points while it is vibrating. This results in a higher-pitched sound and can be achieved through finger tapping techniques on a violin string.