Ear Infection & Chronic Pain: What to Do?

In summary, the person is experiencing a chronic ear infection and has been prescribed drops by their doctor. They have been using the drops in the morning and at lunch but their ear has now swollen shut at night and they are experiencing intense pain and loss of hearing. They are seeking advice on what to do and are advised to call their doctor's office and ask about when to expect relief. They are also advised to contact their doctor if their condition worsens and to seek urgent care or go to the emergency room if necessary. It is also mentioned that the doctor may have an after hours service to provide assistance.
HarryDaniels
I have an ear infection and it is chronic. I went to my doctor and he prescribed some drops. I have put these in at the morning and lunch. Now, at night, my ear has swollen canal has swollen shut and the pain is intense and I can't hear, what should I do.

Biology news on Phys.org
Call the doctor and ask when you should start feeling some relief. If your ear feels worse, call the doctor and let them know, don't hesitate to go to an urgent care or emergency room if it is after hours if you feel it's necessary. Hopefully your doctor has an after hours answering service that can put you in touch with someone.

1. What are the symptoms of an ear infection?

The most common symptoms of an ear infection include ear pain, a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear, difficulty hearing, and drainage from the ear. Children may also experience irritability, fussiness, and trouble sleeping.

2. How is an ear infection diagnosed?

An ear infection is typically diagnosed by a doctor through a physical examination of the ear, including the use of an otoscope to look for signs of infection. In some cases, a sample of fluid from the ear may be taken and tested for bacteria or viruses.

3. What are the treatment options for an ear infection?

Treatment for an ear infection may include antibiotics, pain relievers, and ear drops. In some cases, a doctor may recommend using a warm compress on the affected ear or over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.

4. Can an ear infection cause chronic pain?

Yes, in some cases, an ear infection can lead to chronic pain. This may be due to damage to the ear or surrounding tissues from the infection, or from recurring ear infections that have not been effectively treated.

5. How can chronic ear pain be managed?

Chronic ear pain can be managed through various methods, including medications, pain management techniques such as relaxation and stress reduction, and in some cases, surgery. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the best course of treatment for chronic ear pain.