Perturbation Theory: Deciphering Missing Lines of Explanation

In summary, the third term of the equation of motion for the Heisenberg representation of an interacting field is the derivative of time with respect to the field \phi.
vertices
Again, I am having difficulty deciphering my class notes - in this case there are missing lines of explanation. If we consider a system of particles that approach and interact, the Heisenberg representation of the interacting field is:

[tex]\phi(\vec{x} , t) = U^{-1} (t) \phi_{a} (\vec{x} , t) U(t)[/tex]

(where [tex]\phi_a[/tex] is the free field before the interaction.

Why is it that we can write:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \phi_{a}= \frac{\partial}{\partial t} U \phi U^{-1}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial t} UU^{-1},\phi_{a}]+iU[H,\phi]U^{-1} [/tex]

where the square brackets in the third equality are commutators?

I don't understand where the third expression comes from?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vertices said:
Again, I am having difficulty deciphering my class notes - in this case there are missing lines of explanation. If we consider a system of particles that approach and interact, the Heisenberg representation of the interacting field is:

[tex]\phi(\vec{x} , t) = U^{-1} (t) \phi_{a} (\vec{x} , t) U(t)[/tex]

(where [tex]\phi_a[/tex] is the free field before the interaction.

Why is it that we can write:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \phi_{a}= \frac{\partial}{\partial t} U \phi U^{-1}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial t} UU^{-1},\phi_{a}]+iU[H,\phi]U^{-1} [/tex]

where the square brackets in the third equality are commutators?

I don't understand where the third expression comes from?

Thanks.

[tex]
\frac{\partial \phi_a}{\partial t} =
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} \phi U^{-1}
+ U\phi\frac{\partial U^{-1}}{\partial t}
+ U\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t}U^{-1}
...(*)
[/tex]
where the last term of RHS involves the derivative of time with respect to the field [tex]\phi[/tex] whose equation of motion is well known, the Heisenberg's EoM.

For the first two terms of eq(*), note that,
[tex] \frac{\partial U^{-1}}{\partial t} = -U^{-1}\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} U^{-1}
[/tex]
then you will see why they can be grouped into
[tex]
\left[
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}U^{-1} , \phi_a
\right]
[/tex]

ismaili said:
[tex] \frac{\partial U^{-1}}{\partial t} = -U^{-1}\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} U^{-1}
[/tex]

I do not recall this identity .. can you provide a brief derivation/proof/justification? It seems quite useful ...

Take time derivative of both sides of the equality

[tex]1 = UU^{-1} [/tex]

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
Take time derivative of both sides of the equality

[tex]1 = UU^{-1} [/tex]

Eugene.

That'll do it ... and it certainly was brief. :redface: Thanks!

Thank you ever so much ismaili - spent ages trying to see this!

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable components. It is often used in physics and engineering to study systems that can be described by a set of differential equations.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by expanding the solution to a complex system in terms of a small parameter. This allows us to break down the system into simpler components and solve for the solution iteratively, each time taking into account the effects of the perturbation on the previous solution.

3. What are the applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has many applications in physics and engineering, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as economics, chemistry, and biology to model and understand complex systems.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

While perturbation theory can be a useful tool in many applications, it does have its limitations. It is only accurate for small perturbations and can become increasingly inaccurate as the perturbation becomes larger. It also assumes linearity and can break down for highly nonlinear systems.

5. How is perturbation theory related to other mathematical methods?

Perturbation theory is closely related to other mathematical methods such as Taylor series expansions and calculus of variations. It also has connections to other techniques in physics, such as the method of matched asymptotic expansions. These methods often work in conjunction with perturbation theory to provide a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems.