Calculating Power Dissipation in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the 10 ohm resistor is dissipating 40 watts of power while the 5 ohm resistor is dissipating only 3 watts of power.
Linus Pauling
1. The 10 ohm resistor in the figure is dissipating 40W of power. How much power is the 5ohm resistor dissipating?

knight_Figure_31_52.jpg

2. P = I2*R

3. I = sqrt(P/R) = 2. I then did P = I2R = (4)(5) = 20 which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, I have exactly same problem and I solved only one case:

So, we have 10 ohm and 40 watt.

the Power = V^2/ Ohm then we can calculate the volt on 10 ohm.

The power on 20 ohm then, is // resistor with 10 ohm.

Then they should have same potential difference.

So you can find the power at 20 ohm...

BUt...

I am lost with 5 ohm too... anybody else?

The current through the 5 ohm resistor is not equal to the current through the 10 ohm resistor, because the current "splits" at the junction where the circuit becomes parallel. Let the current through the 5 ohm resistor be I1, through 10 ohm be I2 and through 20 ohm be I3. Let the junction A be where the circuit first branches off into the 2 parallel circuits. Then, by the junction rule, the current going into junction A must be equal to the sum of the currents out of junction A and into the two parallel resistors.

Junction @ A : I1 = I2 + I3

Since P = I^2 R, we need to find I1 in order to calculate the power dissipated by the 5 ohm resistor. We use the loop rule to find current I3, since we already know I2 = 2 amps. So draw Loop 1 clockwise around the inside of the parallel part of the circuit (containing the 10 ohm and 20 ohm resistors). The sum of the voltage drops (V=IR) across the circuit equals zero. We start at the junction A, and determine the voltage drop across each resistor around the loop.

Loop 1 @ A: -(20 ohm)(I3) + (10 ohm)(I2) = 0

The Loop 1 equation gives I3 = (1/2)I2. Substituting I3 into the junction A equation, with I2 = 2 amps, we get I1 = (3/2)I2 = 3 amps. So the power dissipated by the 5 ohm resistor is P = I^2 R = (3 amps)^2 * (5 ohms) = 45 watts. Feel free to make any corrections.

1. What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of heat energy that is generated and released by a resistor as it resists the flow of current through an electrical circuit.

2. How is power dissipation calculated in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. It can also be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in a resistor?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a resistor are the current flowing through the resistor, the resistance of the resistor, and the voltage across the resistor. Other factors such as the ambient temperature and the physical size and material of the resistor can also have an impact.

4. Why is power dissipation important to consider in a resistor?

Power dissipation is important to consider in a resistor because it determines the amount of heat that is generated and released. If the power dissipation is too high, it can cause the resistor to overheat, potentially leading to damage or failure of the resistor and the surrounding components.

5. How can power dissipation in a resistor be minimized?

To minimize power dissipation in a resistor, the current or voltage across the resistor can be reduced, or the resistance of the resistor can be increased. Using resistors with a higher power rating or adding heat sinks can also help dissipate the heat more efficiently. Additionally, using resistors with a lower temperature coefficient and choosing the appropriate resistor for the application can also help minimize power dissipation.