Plotting Impedance of Parallel RLC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with elements in parallel, with R=100, C=600 pf, and L=10E-6 H. The resonant frequency is identified as f0=1/(2(pi)sqrt(LC)). The attempt at a solution involves converting between impedance and admittance, but contains algebraic mistakes. The plot in Matlab shows a vertical line due to dividing by zero and not taking the magnitude of the impedance expression. To fix this, the imaginary component must be removed and the magnitude must be plotted instead.
RockyRoad

Homework Statement

Plot |z| vs. f(Hz) of the circuit. R=100, C=600 pf = 6E-12 F, L=10E-6 H . All elements of the circuit are in parallel. Also identify the resonant frequency.

Homework Equations

ZR=R
ZL=jwL
ZC=1/(jwC)=-j/(wC)
w=2(pi)f
w0=1/sqrt(LC)
f0=1/(2(pi)sqrt(LC))
G=1/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Z1=ZR
Z2=ZL
Z3=ZC
Zeq= 1/((1/R)+1/(jwL)+jwc)

Switching to admittance and skipping a few steps, it can be found that
Y=G + j * 2 * pi * f * C * (1 - (f0 / f) ^ 2)
Z=R + 1 / (j * 2 * pi * f * C * (1-(f0 / f) ^ 2))
Z=100 + 1/(j * 2 * pi * f * 600E-12 *(1 - (2054681.48 / f) ^ 2)

To plot, i used a few lines in matlab:

f=linspace(0,4000000,100000);
x=1i.*2.*pi.*(600.^(-12));
z=100+(1./(x.*f.*(1-((2054681.48./f).^2))));
plot=semilogx(z);

The plot shows me a vertical line at f=100

My professor told us that the graph should be bell shaped, and i have no idea where I've gone wrong. Anyone see a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, 1/(a+b) isn't equal to 1/a + 1/b, which is what you did when you went from the admittance back to the impedance.

Ok, change it to this then:

Z=1/(100 + j * 2 * pi * f * 600E-12 *(1 - (2054681.48 / f) ^ 2))

The plot is still a vertical line.

Well, that's not quite right either. I'll leave it to you, however, to fix your algebra mistakes.

I don't know Matlab, but I'm guessing you're letting f start from 0. Two problems with that. At f=0, you're dividing by zero in your expression. Also, when f=0, Z=0 since the inductor is a short, so the log of Z is undefined.

In this expression:

x=1i.*2.*pi.*(600.^(-12));
...^

is that lower case i that I've pointed to supposed to represent SQRT(-1)?

If it is, that's a problem. You can't plot expressions that have an imaginary component. You have to plot the magnitude, or modulus, of the impedance expression.

Some mathematical packages have a command such as Abs[] that can do it. Or you can do it yourself by plotting SQRT(Z * Conjugate(Z)).

1. What is the purpose of plotting impedance of a parallel RLC circuit?

The purpose of plotting impedance is to visually represent the relationship between the applied voltage and current in a parallel RLC circuit. This allows us to analyze the behavior of the circuit and determine the resonance frequency, bandwidth, and other important characteristics.

2. How is impedance calculated in a parallel RLC circuit?

Impedance in a parallel RLC circuit is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the inverse values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance. The formula for impedance is Z = 1/((1/R) + (1/jωL) + jωC), where R is resistance, L is inductance, C is capacitance, and ω is the frequency in radians per second.

3. What does the shape of the impedance plot indicate?

The shape of the impedance plot indicates the resonance frequency of the circuit. At the resonance frequency, the impedance is at its minimum value, which means that the circuit is most efficient in transferring energy between the voltage and current. The shape of the plot also allows us to identify the bandwidth of the circuit.

4. How does the presence of inductors and capacitors affect the impedance plot?

The presence of inductors and capacitors in a parallel RLC circuit results in a non-linear impedance plot. At lower frequencies, the impedance is mainly determined by the inductor, while at higher frequencies, the impedance is mainly determined by the capacitor. This results in a dip in the impedance plot at the resonance frequency.

5. How can impedance plots be used in practical applications?

Impedance plots of parallel RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in audio systems, where they are used to design and tune filters. They are also used in the design of power supplies, transmission lines, and other electronic circuits to ensure that the circuit operates efficiently at the desired frequency.