Circuit: Potential Difference

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential difference between points a and b in a circuit with a voltage of 3.56 V and a resistance of 2.04 Ω. By applying the junction rule and the loop rule, the current is found to be 0.76 A. However, the equation used to find the potential difference is incorrect as it does not take into account the potential difference across both 1Ω resistors. Two loop-equations are needed to solve this problem.
abcdmichelle

Homework Statement

For the circuit in the figure below, V = 3.56 V and R = 2.04 Ω. Find the potential difference between points a and b.

This is the link to the figure: http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/abcdmichelle/physics/26-62alt1.gif

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

So I needed to find the current passing through R.
I said that the resistor at the top left had current I, the resistor at the top right was I(2), the resistor at the bottom left was I, the resistor at the bottom right was I(2), and the resistor R in the middle had a current of I(3).
I applied the junction rule and the loop rule to the left hand side loop, and found the current to be:

2-I-2.04I(3)-3.56+I=0
Current I(3)=0.76

So then to find the potential difference I did:
V= -(0.76)(2.04)-3.56

This is wrong, I'm not sure if I did anything right here!
Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi abcdmichelle! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
abcdmichelle said:
2-I-2.04I(3)-3.56+I=0
Current I(3)=0.76

no, you've canceled the potential differences for the two 1Ω resistors … the current is flowing the "same" way through them, so they will add

also, you normally need two loop-equations to solve a two-loop problem (though in this case you can get a relationship between I1 and I2 from symmetry) :wink:

(btw, are the 2V batteries 2 volts, or 2 times 3.56 V ? :confused:)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done (in joules) by the charge (in coulombs) that moves through the circuit. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q.

3. How does potential difference affect the flow of electrons in a circuit?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electrons in a circuit. The higher the potential difference, the greater the force pushing the electrons through the circuit. This is similar to the way water flows from a higher to lower level in a waterfall.

4. What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

The relationship between potential difference and current is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current (in amperes) is directly proportional to the potential difference (in volts) and inversely proportional to the resistance (in ohms) of the circuit. This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

5. How is potential difference measured in a circuit?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter will display the potential difference between the two points it is connected to.