Find Filters for Wavelets Analysis Homework: p_k Coefficients & Relations

In summary, the task involves finding four filters (low-pass decomposition, high-pass decomposition, low-pass reconstruction, and high-pass reconstruction) from given p_k scaling coefficients and wavelet relations. The equations for the filters are as follows: - \phi (x)= p_0\phi (2x) + p_1\phi (2x-1) + p_2\phi (2x-2) + p_3\phi (2x-3) - \psi (x)=p_3\phi (2x+2) - p_2\phi (2x+1) + p_1\phi (2x) - p_0\phi (2x-
eemath_tamu

Homework Statement

Given the following [tex]p_k[/tex] scaling coefficients and the following wavelet relations, find all four filters corresponding to these coefficients: low-pass decomposition, high-pass decomposition, low-pass reconstruction, and high-pass reconstruction.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi (x)= p_0\phi (2x) + p_1\phi (2x-1) + p_2\phi (2x-2) + p_3\phi (2x-3)[/tex]
[tex]\psi (x)=p_3\phi (2x+2) - p_2\phi (2x+1) + p_1\phi (2x) - p_0\phi (2x-1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help knowing how to start this problem. I've been looking throughout my book for the equations of the filters. I don't really understand how to design the filters from the wavelet relations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if i can construct-compose time-series consist of wavlets? e.g. if i have as data a characteristic wave height and a wave length i can produce time-series with Fourier transform which equals of a superposition of sinus waves. i want to do the same but with wavelets. possible?

1. What is the purpose of finding filters for wavelets analysis?

The purpose of finding filters for wavelets analysis is to decompose a signal into different frequency components. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the signal and can provide insights into its underlying patterns and characteristics.

2. What are p_k coefficients?

p_k coefficients are the scaling coefficients used in wavelet analysis. They represent the scaling of the wavelet function at different levels and are used to reconstruct the original signal from its wavelet components.

3. How are p_k coefficients related to each other?

The p_k coefficients are related to each other through the scaling equation, which is used to generate the wavelet function at different scales. The coefficients are also related to the scaling function, which is the basis for the wavelet analysis.

4. How do I find filters for wavelets analysis?

There are various methods for finding filters for wavelets analysis, including the Mallat algorithm, the Daubechies algorithm, and the Coiflet algorithm. These methods involve selecting a wavelet function and using it to generate the p_k coefficients and filters.

5. Can I use any wavelet function for wavelet analysis?

No, not all wavelet functions are suitable for wavelet analysis. The chosen wavelet function must satisfy certain criteria, such as having compact support and good regularity, in order to accurately decompose the signal into its frequency components.