Lorentz boost and equivalence with 3d hyperbolic rotations

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, the author was thinking about whether or not it is possible to create a hyperbolic rotation that is equivalent to a boost in the direction of x. He was wrong about this because the physics is not equivalent. He was also thinking about whether or not it is possible to create an isomorphism between the subgroup of rotations with complex angle and the Lorentz group. This was not possible either because there is a more general representation.
chwie
I was thinking that if i have for example a boost in the direction of x, then the boost should be equivalent to an hyperbolic rotation of the y and z axes in the other direction. I don't know if it's true or not. Then I want to know if somebody knows this result or why is false?

I was thinking also that is possible to make an homomorphism between some subgroup of the space rotations by complex angle (six parameter group) and some subgroup of the Lorentz transform (six parameter group). Also i don't know if that homomorphism is possible and I'm too lazy like to try to do the proof it myself. If somebody knows why is impossible to make such homomorphism or if there is some theorem that proof this, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about something like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra_of_physical_space"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, that is the homomorphism between 2x2 unimodular matrix and the restricted Lorentz group, but thanks for the help.

Well i was myself trying to proof about the equivalence of the boost and the 3d hyperbolic rotations, but the problem is to find the hyperbolic rotation that leaves the magnitude of the z and y vector invariant, and can be done using imaginaries terms, but the physics is not equivalent, then i was wrong. I don't know why I thought was possible, in an 4D euclidean space is possible to do similar relations, but because of the pseudo-euclidean metric is not possible in this case.

Also about the Lorentz group isomorphism and the rotation with complex angle is another way to said the representation of the pseudo-orthogonal matrix in four dimension. Then that is the subgroup of the rotations with complex angle which is isomorphic with the Lorentz group. Which is the most common representation. I was hoping in finding a more general one, but was not possible.

1. What is a Lorentz boost and how does it relate to 3d hyperbolic rotations?

A Lorentz boost is a mathematical transformation used in special relativity to describe how an observer's measurements of time and space change when viewed from a different reference frame. It is closely related to 3d hyperbolic rotations, which are rotations in a 4-dimensional space-time that preserve the hyperbolic distance between points.

2. How does a Lorentz boost affect the perception of time and space?

A Lorentz boost results in a phenomenon known as time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at a high velocity compared to an observer at rest. Additionally, it also causes length contraction, where objects in motion appear to be shorter along the direction of motion compared to when they are at rest.

3. What is the significance of the equivalence between Lorentz boosts and 3d hyperbolic rotations?

The equivalence between Lorentz boosts and 3d hyperbolic rotations highlights the deep connection between space and time in special relativity. It also allows us to use well-developed mathematical tools for rotations in 3-dimensional space to study and understand the effects of motion in a 4-dimensional space-time.

4. Can you provide a real-life example of the application of Lorentz boosts and 3d hyperbolic rotations?

One example is the GPS system, which relies on both Lorentz boosts and 3d hyperbolic rotations to accurately determine the position and time for users on Earth. The satellites in the GPS system are moving at high velocities relative to the Earth, and the system uses special relativity equations to account for this motion and provide precise location and time information.

5. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence relate to Lorentz boosts and 3d hyperbolic rotations?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, is a direct consequence of the Lorentz boost transformation. It shows that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This concept is essential in understanding the effects of high speeds on particles and the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.