Substitution homework problem

In summary: TsAmE has not yet been exposed to the integration technique of trig substitution. However, by recognizing that this integral --\int_{-2}^2 \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx-- represents the area of a well-known geometric figure, TsAmE should be able to arrive at the value of the definite integral.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫ -2 to 2 (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^1/2 dx by writing it as a sum of 2 integrals and interpreting one of those integrals in terms of an area.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ -2 to 2 (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^1/2 dx
= ∫ 0 to -2 (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^1/2 + ∫ 0 to -2 (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^1/2

I then draw a graph which resembled 1/4 of an ellipse (having a major axis on the y-axis), for 0 to 2. The y-intercept = 6 and x intercepts: -3, 2, -2.

However the answer in the back of my book was 6pi, and I don't understand why

Physics news on Phys.org

Hm... looks like you might have to multiply in the (4-x^2)^1/2 into (x+3), then it would be a simple u-substitution in the first half, and probably a trig sub in the second... Very doable but a little long...

[tex]\int_{-2} ^{2} (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

Try expanding out (x+3)(4-x2)1/2, then split the integral.

(Hint: (a+b)c = ac+bc)

thepatient said:
Hm... looks like you might have to multiply in the (4-x^2)^1/2 into (x+3), then it would be a simple u-substitution in the first half, and probably a trig sub in the second... Very doable but a little long...
Not long at all if the OP follows the suggestion of interpreting one of the integrals as the area of a geometric object.

Mark44 said:
Not long at all if the OP follows the suggestion of interpreting one of the integrals as the area of a geometric object.

Oh wow haha, you're right. It just looks like half of a tilted ellipse. It's not so bad then. XD

In the broadest sense, it's an ellipse, but it's really something else.

Mark44 said:
In the broadest sense, it's an ellipse, but it's really something else.

an ellipse with an eccentricity of zero!

Yeah I know it looks like a part of an ellipse, but I don't get why the area interpreted is 6pi? Unless it comes from the circle area formula some how (pi *r^2) and is a circle?

Why are you and thepatient insisting the figure is an ellipse?

Mark44 said:
Why are you and thepatient insisting the figure is an ellipse?

Ohh no, it just looks like half of a slightly tilted ellipse from -2<x<2, but it isn't an ellipse, it looks like a upside down parabola that was stricken by a line coming from the left and merged onto it, though it's domain is only from -2<x<2.

What is kind of strange is that by using the formula for the area of an ellipse and dividing by two, using a=2 and b = 6, abpi/2 = 6pi. But I don't think this is the proper way to calculate this since the end of the parabola isn't at y=6, but at 6.96 to the nearest hundredth and when x = -3/4+(1/4)*41^(1/2).

Either way, integrating it directly gets you 6pi. XD I tried it myself.

thepatient said:
Ohh no, it just looks like half of a slightly tilted ellipse from -2<x<2, but it isn't an ellipse, it looks like a upside down parabola that was stricken by a line coming from the left and merged onto it, though it's domain is only from -2<x<2.

What is kind of strange is that by using the formula for the area of an ellipse and dividing by two, using a=2 and b = 6, abpi/2 = 6pi. But I don't think this is the proper way to calculate this since the end of the parabola isn't at y=6, but at 6.96 to the nearest hundredth and when x = -3/4+(1/4)*41^(1/2).

Either way, integrating it directly gets you 6pi. XD I tried it myself.

Wrong again. Where did you get the values for a and b from? Secondly I suggest you read post #6 and #7 very carefully and try to understand what they are actually trying to tell you.

No, it's definitely not a parabola. Technically, the figure is a kind of ellipse, but that is irrelevant to this problem. I am assuming that we're talking about splitting up the original definite integral into two separate integrals. The first can be done by an ordinary substitution, and the other by using the suggestion given in the problem.

My guess is that TsAmE has not yet been exposed to the integration technique of trig substitution. However, by recognizing that this integral --
[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx[/tex]

-- represents the area of a well-known geometric figure, TsAmE should be able to arrive at the value of the definite integral.

Cyosis said:
Wrong again. Where did you get the values for a and b from? Secondly I suggest you read post #6 and #7 very carefully and try to understand what they are actually trying to tell you.
Sorry, it's just that I went to graphing directly using the function given and got:
g-1.jpg
That's why I said tilted parabola. But I see that after you split the integral you just get a simple u-sub and the area of a simple shape.

OP ignore everything I say, hopefully I'm not confusing you. XD I completely understand what mark is saying.

Mark44 said:
No, it's definitely not a parabola. Technically, the figure is a kind of ellipse, but that is irrelevant to this problem. I am assuming that we're talking about splitting up the original definite integral into two separate integrals. The first can be done by an ordinary substitution, and the other by using the suggestion given in the problem.

My guess is that TsAmE has not yet been exposed to the integration technique of trig substitution. However, by recognizing that this integral --
[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx[/tex]

-- represents the area of a well-known geometric figure, TsAmE should be able to arrive at the value of the definite integral.

Yeah I haven't done trig substitution yet. I know how to substitute, but how does that get you 6 pi? Since your lower and upper limits are -2 and 2 respectively? If they contained radians, then that would make sense.

This integral represents the area of a common geometric figure (not an ellipse or parabola). What's the figure, and what's its area?

Not sure, but if I say y = (4 - x^2)^1/2, then I get x^2 + y^4 = 4, which is a circle with radius (2)^1/2

Almost. The equation y = (4 - x^2)^(1/2) represents only part of a circle. The equation x^2 + y^2 = 4 represents an entire circle.

Makes sense. Since it is 1/4 of a circle, the area equal:

1/4 * pi r^2
= 1/4 * pi * 2
= 1.57 :confused:

TsAmE said:
Makes sense. Since it is 1/4 of a circle, the area equal:

1/4 * pi r^2
= 1/4 * pi * 2
= 1.57 :confused:

(4-x2)1/2 between 0 and 2 give 1/4 of the circle, so between -2 and 2, will be twice the area.

rock.freak667 said:
(4-x2)1/2 between 0 and 2 give 1/4 of the circle, so between -2 and 2, will be twice the area.

True that, but then:

Area = 1/2 * pi r^2
= 1/2 * pi * 2
= pi

but not 6pi?

In the original problem that integral is multiplied by (x+3). Secondly the radius of the circle in question is not [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Cyosis said:
In the original problem that integral is multiplied by (x+3). Secondly the radius of the circle in question is not [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Yeah sorry made a mistake the radius is 2, so now:

Area = 1/2 * pi r^2
= 1/2 * pi * 4
= 6.28

but what does (x + 3) do to the area of (4 - x^2)^1/2 ?

TsAmE said:
but what does (x + 3) do to the area of (4 - x^2)^1/2

It does nothing to the area of (4 - x^2)^1/2, but you're not asked to compute the integral of (4 - x^2)^1/2, but the integral of (x+3)(4 - x^2)^1/2. I also suggest you stop fixating on the answer in the back of your book. While it is the correct answer you are now trying to get 6 pi out of everything you do. For example the area underneath the curve (4 - x^2)^1/2 between -2 and 2 is not 6pi. Luckily it isn't because if it was you would not be able to get 6pi as a final answer.

A circle of radius 2, not [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

I'm not quite sure what this shape is either. Just tell us already Mark! :smile: It's the addition of a circle and a sideways S. They have a name for this sort of thing?

As to TsAmE, not sure why you're tackling this problem when you don't know trig substitution yet.

Mentallic said:
I'm not quite sure what this shape is either. Just tell us already Mark! It's the addition of a circle and a sideways S. They have a name for this sort of thing?

As to TsAmE, not sure why you're tackling this problem when you don't know trig substitution yet.

People have been talking about the shape of [itex](4-x^2)^{1/2}[/itex], which is part of a circle as TsAmE figured out already. The full integrand's shape does not have a special name, not that I am aware of anyway.

You really don't want to evaluate this integral by substitution, whether you're able to or not. Realising what the integral represents allows you to instantly write down the answer.

Area of a circle is pi*r^2, not 1/2 * pi * r^2. And you have split the integrand into x(4-x^2)^1/2 +3(4-x^2)^1/2. One of those becomes zero since it's a function symmetric to the origin, and one is just the area over a circle.

thepatient said:
Area of a circle is pi*r^2, not 1/2 * pi * r^2. And you have split the integrand into x(4-x^2)^1/2 +3(4-x^2)^1/2. One of those becomes zero since it's a function symmetric to the origin, and one is just the area over a circle.

The area beneath [itex](4-x^2)^{1/2}[/itex] between -2 and 2 is half the area of a circle. Therefore TsAmE's calculation of the area is correct.

Cyosis said:
The area beneath [itex](4-x^2)^{1/2}[/itex] between -2 and 2 is half the area of a circle. Therefore TsAmE's calculation of the area is correct.

Oh yea. Half circle. XD I'm so asleep still.

ThePatient's graph shows only part of the figure and has the axes with very different unit sizes.

Cyosis said:
It does nothing to the area of (4 - x^2)^1/2, but you're not asked to compute the integral of (4 - x^2)^1/2, but the integral of (x+3)(4 - x^2)^1/2. I also suggest you stop fixating on the answer in the back of your book. While it is the correct answer you are now trying to get 6 pi out of everything you do. For example the area underneath the curve (4 - x^2)^1/2 between -2 and 2 is not 6pi. Luckily it isn't because if it was you would not be able to get 6pi as a final answer.

The question asked to interpret it in terms of area, that's why I didnt use any integration technique e.g. substitution, but instead tried to calculate in terms of half a circle (1/2 * pi * r^2). So is the answer at the back of my book wrong?

That depends what the answer in back of your book is.
Remember that you need the integral of 3(4-x2)1/2, not just (4-x2)1/2

The question asked to interpret it in terms of area, that's why I didnt use any integration technique e.g. substitution, but instead tried to calculate in terms of half a circle (1/2 * pi * r^2). So is the answer at the back of my book wrong?

If you had read the post you quoted in #30 you would have known that the answer in the book is correct. I suggest you go back to the very start of the problem and look at the actual integral you're trying to calculate.

Last edited:

Just to sum it all up for you...

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\int_{-2} ^{2} (x + 3)(4 - x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

Try expanding out (x+3)(4-x2)1/2, then split the integral.

(Hint: (a+b)c = ac+bc)

1. What is a substitution homework problem?

A substitution homework problem is a type of math problem that involves replacing a variable with a specific value or expression in an equation or formula.

2. How do I solve a substitution homework problem?

To solve a substitution homework problem, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, choose a variable to substitute and assign it a value. Then, substitute the value into the equation or formula and solve for the remaining variable. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or formula.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a substitution homework problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the value into all instances of the variable in the equation or formula. It is also important to use the correct order of operations when simplifying the equation. Additionally, always double check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. Can I use substitution to solve any type of math problem?

Substitution can be used to solve many types of math problems, but it is most commonly used in algebra. It is particularly useful for solving equations with multiple variables or for finding the value of a specific variable in a formula.

5. How can I practice solving substitution homework problems?

You can practice solving substitution homework problems by using online resources, such as math practice websites or educational apps. You can also create your own practice problems by writing out equations or formulas and randomly assigning values to the variables. Additionally, working with a tutor or study group can help you improve your skills in solving substitution problems.