Finding wavelength of hydrogen atom when changing energy states

In summary, the wavelength of radiation emitted when a hydrogen atom makes a transition from the n = 6 to the n = 3 state is 1.710 x 10^33 eV.
kavamo

Homework Statement

Find the wavelength of the radiation emitted when a hydrogen atom makes a transition from the n = 6 to the n = 3 state. Give answer in µm.

Homework Equations

z^2 / n^2 x 13.6ev
delta E = E2 - E1 = hv

The Attempt at a Solution

E(sub n1) = 1^2 / 6^2 x 13.6 ev = 0.3778
E(sub n2) = 1^2 / 3^2 x 13.6 ev = 1.511

1.511 - 0.3778 = 1.1332 = hv

1.1332 / 6.626 x 10^-34 = v

v = 1.710 x 10^33

I am very confused by this problem and am not even sure if I have the right equations, which were taken from the book. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
kavamo said:

Homework Statement

Find the wavelength of the radiation emitted when a hydrogen atom makes a transition from the n = 6 to the n = 3 state. Give answer in µm.

Homework Equations

z^2 / n^2 x 13.6ev
delta E = E2 - E1 = hv

The Attempt at a Solution

E(sub n1) = 1^2 / 6^2 x 13.6 ev = 0.3778
E(sub n2) = 1^2 / 3^2 x 13.6 ev = 1.511

1.511 - 0.3778 = 1.1332 = hv
You are doing good up to this point, except that you are not showing what the units are in this energy difference calculation. So, what are the units that go with the numbers 0.3778, 1.511, and 1.1332?

1.1332 / 6.626 x 10^-34 = v

v = 1.710 x 10^33
Likewise, what units go with the 6.626 x 10^-34 value? Include the units with 1.1332 and 6.626 x 10^-34, and that will get to what is wrong with your calculation.[/quote]
I am very confused by this problem and am not even sure if I have the right equations, which were taken from the book. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
You do have the correct equations, and the right approach to solving it. The key is in the units.

I think that all the units are in ev's but am not sure as they are not given. You have found the part of this thatis the hardest for me--units.

I found the minimum photon energy required to study this molecule is 8.378 kev. will i use this in the above problem?

kavamo said:
I think that all the units are in ev's but am not sure as they are not given. You have found the part of this thatis the hardest for me--units.
That's correct for the 0.3778, 1.511, and 1.1332 values. Next look up Planck's constant h, it should be in your textbook. That will give you the units that go with 6.626 x 10^-34.

kavamo said:
I found the minimum photon energy required to study this molecule is 8.378 kev. will i use this in the above problem?
That is not relevant here.

Planks constant units are J/s

Actually it's J s. (Multiply, don't divide, the s).
Convert that to eV s, and then things should work out.

I'm still a little confused. Am I doing this correctly?

v = 1.710 x 10^33 eV =hc / E delta E = 1.1332 eV

v = (6.626 x 10^-34) Js x (3 x 10^8)m/s divided by 1.1332eV

= 1.754E-25

That doesn't look right at all.

Can you convert the 1.13 eV into J? Then use ΔE=hv as before. You need to have ΔE and h with the same energy units -- it could be eV or J, but it has to be the same for both.

Thank you for your help. I was able to get help from a classmate in between posts and she helped me work it through. Thanks again.

1. What is the energy equation for finding the wavelength of a hydrogen atom?

The energy equation for finding the wavelength of a hydrogen atom is E = -13.6eV/n2, where n represents the energy level or state of the atom.

2. How do you calculate the energy level of a hydrogen atom when changing energy states?

The energy level can be calculated using the Rydberg formula: En = -13.6eV(1/n12 - 1/n22), where n1 and n2 represent the initial and final energy states, respectively.

3. Can the wavelength of a hydrogen atom be determined experimentally?

Yes, the wavelength of a hydrogen atom can be determined experimentally using a spectroscope. This instrument separates the light emitted by the atom into its different wavelengths, allowing for accurate measurement.

4. How does changing the energy state of a hydrogen atom affect its wavelength?

As the energy state of a hydrogen atom increases, its wavelength decreases. This is because the energy of an atom is inversely proportional to its wavelength, according to the energy equation mentioned earlier.

5. What is the significance of finding the wavelength of a hydrogen atom when changing energy states?

The wavelength of a hydrogen atom is directly related to its energy and can provide valuable information about the atom's behavior and characteristics. It is also an important concept in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.