Time constance capacitors electricity

In summary, time constant, also known as RC, is a term used to describe the rate at which a capacitor charges and discharges in relation to the voltage and resistance in a circuit. Increasing RC results in a slower charging rate, as shown by the exponential equation v(t)=V(1-e^(-t/RC)). It usually takes longer to charge a capacitor than to discharge it, but this can vary depending on how the capacitor is set up in a circuit.
seto6
time constance "capacitors" electricity

was looking over my physics electricity
i got some question actually i just forgot them.
v(t)=V(1-e^(-t/RC))

where RC is the the time Constance,
1) i am not sure what the time Constance means.
2)If R is increased by a factor of 2 what in theory is the effect on time Constance

i tried reading my old notes but i guess i did not attend that lecture

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

seto6 said:
was looking over my physics electricity
i got some question actually i just forgot them.
v(t)=V(1-e^(-t/RC))

where RC is the the time Constance,
1) i am not sure what the time Constance means.
2)If R is increased by a factor of 2 what in theory is the effect on time Constance

i tried reading my old notes but i guess i did not attend that lecture

any help is appreciated

First off you are dealing with an equation that describes the voltage across the plates of a capacitor with capacitance C with respect to time in relation to some initial voltage supplied most likely by a battery of voltage V. At long times t, after a capacitor is allowed to charge, the term to the right of V approaches 1. At smaller times, the capacitor will still be charging so the term to the right of V really describes what % of the max voltage the capacitor is at... (1- a number smaller than 1 but not less than zero). At t = 0 the capacitor is uncharged so the term to the right is (1-1) multiplied by V. So naturally the capacitor is uncharged.

If you have a resistor in series with the capacitor then the amount of current flowing will be smaller. So RC sort of describes how long it will take to get to approach a fully charged capacitor, or approaches max V. If RC is really big, then it will take a longer time, t, to become fully charged to a voltage, V.

Since e to the t/RC is exponential, if you make the bottom part of this exponent, RC larger it should take longer to charge. If for example, RC is equal to 1, then at t=1 the term to the right would equal about .63 or 63% of full charge... (1-0.37) e to the first power is about 2.718 and this divided into 1 is about 0.37...
Now if you kept t=1 and made RC = 2 then you would get e to the 1/2 power or the square root of e divided into 1 and this would give you a term to the right of V and multiplied by V of about 0.40... So increasing the RC by 2 would lead to only 40% of total charge instead of 63%... it takes longer to charge the capacitor to a full V.

Sorry that was long winded but I tried to use simple examples. You can also describe current flow through a capacitor with these same basic ideas. The capacitor is basically just a wire with very little resistance at t=0 but it soon builds with charge thus V gets big and I, the current flow, slows to a trickle and approaches O. Capacitors can be used effectively in certain circuits to stop current flow down a certain part of a circuit. Or to give off a lot of charge and energy quickly, like to a flash bulb.

thanks but i don't understand about the 63% and the 40%, if Resistance increase by factor of two, then time constant would increase by a factor of 2, that means it would take 50% more to charge.

and does it usually take more time to charge than discharge?

seto6 said:
thanks but i don't understand about the 63% and the 40%, if Resistance increase by factor of two, then time constant would increase by a factor of 2, that means it would take 50% more to charge.

and does it usually take more time to charge than discharge?

Its e raised to the power of t/RC all under 1. Thats what e^-t/RC is. So increasing RC by a factor of 2 means you are changing the exponent, its not a linear relationship.

On the last point it depends on how you have the capacitor set up in a circuit. You usually charge a capacitor with a battery and discharge it through a piece of the circuit without the battery as a part of it.

For practical purposes you can charge a capacitor with a battery and then "release" the charge rapidly, say, through a flashbulb. Thats how many flash cameras use them.

1. What is the purpose of a time constant capacitor in electricity?

Time constant capacitors in electricity are used to store and release electrical energy at a controlled rate. They help stabilize voltage and current fluctuations in circuits and are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios and computers.

2. How does a time constant capacitor work?

A time constant capacitor works by storing electrical energy in an electric field between two conducting plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field. The capacitor then releases this stored energy when the voltage is removed or when it is connected to a circuit.

3. What is the relationship between capacitance and time constant?

The relationship between capacitance and time constant is directly proportional. This means that as the capacitance of a capacitor increases, so does its time constant. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more energy and release it over a longer period of time.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of a capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (in Farads) by the resistance (in Ohms) in the circuit. The formula is T = RC, where T is the time constant in seconds, R is the resistance in Ohms, and C is the capacitance in Farads.

5. What are some common applications of time constant capacitors?

Some common applications of time constant capacitors include filtering and smoothing voltage in power supplies, stabilizing oscillators in electronic circuits, and providing timing functions in electronic devices such as cameras and flash units. They are also used in audio systems, sensors, and timers.