Water flow and pressure to fly

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using water to create thrust and lift a person's weight. The formula for calculating thrust is mentioned and different scenarios are presented for achieving the desired result. The individual is seeking guidance on how to calculate the necessary volume and pressure of water and is planning to build a device in their garage.
charlieaf92
Hi guys. I'll start out by admitting that I know very little about fluid dynamics, physics, etc. I've been searching the forums and a bit surprised that this particular topic hasn't come up (unless I just missed it). Has anyone here seen this? Would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction to calculate the volume (and pressure?) of water necessary to make it happen?

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to build one in my garage.

Thanks
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple thrust equation.

Thrust = mass flow * velocity of exit.

So let's say you are 70 kg. Thats 686N needed to lift you. You have a pipe that can flow 10kg/s of water. 686/10=68.6m/s flow.

Or you could have 20kg/s at 34.3m/s etc etc.

Question is just speccing a pump and tubing that will allow you to do this. You'll also want something flexible to allow you to vector the thust.

1. How does water flow affect flight?

Water flow is an essential aspect of flight as it provides the necessary propulsion for an aircraft to take off and maintain its position in the air. The greater the water flow, the faster the aircraft can move through the air, resulting in a higher lift and better control of the aircraft.

2. What is the relationship between water pressure and flight?

Water pressure is directly related to the lift force generated by an aircraft. As the aircraft moves through the water, the pressure on its wings increases, creating a difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the wings. This results in an upward force, known as lift, which is necessary for flight.

3. How is water flow and pressure measured in flight?

Water flow and pressure are typically measured using instruments such as pitot tubes and airspeed indicators. These instruments use the basic principles of fluid dynamics to measure the airspeed and pressure of the water flow around the aircraft.

4. What factors affect water flow and pressure during flight?

The shape and design of the aircraft's wings, the speed and direction of the aircraft, and the density of the water all play a role in determining the water flow and pressure during flight. Other factors such as weather conditions and altitude can also impact the water flow and pressure.

5. How does water flow and pressure impact the efficiency of an aircraft?

Water flow and pressure are crucial for an aircraft's efficiency as they directly affect the aircraft's lift and drag forces. A smooth and steady water flow, coupled with the right amount of pressure, can help an aircraft maintain a stable flight and use less fuel, making it more efficient.