Empirical Formula of Hydrocarbon from Reacting 10mLCxHy with O2 and NaOH

• Thread starter Grhymn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, 10mL of CxHY reacted with 55mL of CO2 to form 1/X=10/55mL of GAS, which was then reacted with 2NaOH to form Na2CO3 and 35mL of GAS.
Grhymn

Homework Statement

10mLCxHy reacts with excess O2
After reacting and cooling until 298K the volume GAS = 55mL. Then NaOH is added and then the final volume of GAS = 35mL. Give the emperical formula of the hydrocarbon used in this reaction.

Homework Equations

-CxHy + (X+Y/4)O2 -> X CO2 + Y/2 H2O

-CO2+ 2NaOH -> Na2CO3 + H20

The Attempt at a Solution

10ml CxHY in the beginning and 55ml CO2 at the end => 1/X=10/55
55ml/X=2*VolumeH20/Y

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there was 55 mL of CO2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because at the end of the reaction after cooling there is 55mL gas, H20 is liquid then and I think you shouldn't take acount of the O2 in the 55mL

So what was the gas adsorbed by the NaOH?

You are right, I meant the amount of CO2 after the first reaction.

I think you are still misunderstanding the question. What gases were present in 55 mL, what gas is present in the remaining 35 mL?

I think the answer is CO2 for both questions

So why part of the CO2 was adsorbed and part not?

20 mL absorbed of the CO2 created by the first reacting absorbed and 35 mL remaining after the second reaction

What second reaction? There was just a one reaction producing carbon dioxide, and that was combustion.

NaOH reacts with CO2 (I guess)

-CO2+ 2NaOH -> Na2CO3 + H20

So how come some of CO2 was left?

Because there wasn't enough NaOH, or because there is a dynamic equilibrium. I am not sure what kind of reaction this is (<=> or ->)

No. All CO2 was absorbed. What other gas was present in the mixture? Reread the question.

I see, so the gass at the end is the excess O2, this would mean that the volume CO2 after the first reaction = 20mL

Molfraction=volumefraction for ideal gasses so if I am not mistaken :

20mL/X=2*VolumeH20/Y=10mL/1=VolumeO2/(X+Y/4)

But I still don't get the formula out of this.

From ideal gas ratio of volumes is identical to ratio of moles, isnt't it? 10 mL of gas gave 20 mL of carbon dixode, how many carbon atoms per mole?

Edit: not sure what to do with hydrogen, as far as I can tell there is no enough information. Or I have a senior moment :grumpy:

20mL/X=10mL so 2

Correct. And as far as I can tell that's all that can be said.

Unless I am missing something.

Have you posted whole question?

I also think there is missing something, but that's the whole question.

Thank you for the help anyway

1. What is the empirical formula of a hydrocarbon?

The empirical formula of a hydrocarbon is the simplest whole number ratio of the elements present in the molecule. It is based on the relative number of atoms of each element in the compound.

2. How do you determine the empirical formula of a hydrocarbon?

The empirical formula of a hydrocarbon can be determined by analyzing the mass of each element present in the compound. This can be done through various methods, including combustion analysis and percent composition calculations.

3. What is the significance of using 10mL of CxHy in the reaction?

The amount of CxHy used in the reaction is important because it determines the amount of product that will be produced. In this case, using 10mL of CxHy ensures that a sufficient amount of the hydrocarbon is present for the reaction to occur and for accurate analysis of the empirical formula.

4. Why is O2 used in the reaction?

O2, or oxygen, is used in the reaction as the oxidizing agent. It reacts with the hydrocarbon to form carbon dioxide and water, allowing for the determination of the empirical formula. Additionally, it provides the necessary oxygen atoms to balance the equation.

5. How does NaOH play a role in determining the empirical formula?

NaOH, or sodium hydroxide, is used in the reaction to absorb the carbon dioxide produced. This ensures that all of the carbon atoms in the hydrocarbon are accounted for in the analysis. It also helps to neutralize any acidic compounds that may be present in the hydrocarbon.